“Very disappointing”

and 1 more site!
Ada Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Golturkbuku
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Let me state that when my wife and I stay at a hotel or resort in this price category, we expect something truly special. I can think of a half a dozen places that we have stayed around the world that qualify. Unfortunately Ada is not even close to being one of them.

The place photographs like a jewel, the facilities are very nicely appointed and have all the expected luxury trimmings - that is not the problem. Perhaps it is the location - Bodrum Peninsula in general has been carelessly overbuilt to the point that I cannot recommend anyone ever going there. Even Turkbuku, the "jet set" town where Ada is located, has little appeal.

Perhaps it was the indifferent service - although the level of service was about on par with any of the other hotels (w/ one exception) that we stayed at during our 11 day visit to Turkey.

Perhaps it was the cramped feeling of the property and awkward layout of the rooms. Perhaps it was that the moment you stepped outside, between the stray cats and unfinished construction, you felt as if you were in some cheap Mexican resort town. I really don't know.

Maybe it was just because we were there off season and the place was next to empty. Whatever. I cannot recommend to anyone seeking that some place special.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank martin66

Reviewed September 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed in the penthouse on our honeymoon - we were certainly happy with the room and the private pool. We had the "ADA Breakfast" nearly every day we were there - at first I was hesitant to order a $20+ breakfast but by the end I of my stay I was more than happy to do it. The local jams and the fresh fruit were excellent and I felt it was worth the money since I can't find quality food like that in many places. The other meals we had at the hotel were excellent as well.

When we booked I was a little worried about some of the reviews about barking dogs - this turned out to not be a big deal. We stayed during Ramadan and the village below the hotel came to life at night. The mopeds were much louder and more annoying than the dogs, and even at that they weren't bad at all. Unless you are a really light sleeper, in my opinion you probably won't notice the noise.

The staff were very helpful and friendly - took care of all needs and questions. When we wanted to use the Hamam (which was very nice) they took the time to show us how to work it and didn't wait for a tip or anything. There were other moments like this. They just seemed to like hosting guests.

The "beach" is as others describe - a deck with seats, the water was warm and clean, a pretty shade of greenish-blue. The food and beverages were really expensive though ($15 for a bottle of beer), so we stayed by the private pool most of the time since the water was very nice there and the prices were better at the hotel.

We enjoyed visiting Bodrum and retreating to the hotel at night. However, if you are into clubbing and late-night fun you may want to stay somewhere closer. The ADA is a wonderful place to stay and relax - beautiful property with olive trees and interesting layout. It was an ideal place to unwind after our wedding. If we go back to Turkey for an anniversary someday, we may not go back to every place we visited, but we will definitely go back to the ADA.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed in Room 206 which was great value for a couple.
We had a huge marble bathroom, large king bed bedroom with a small side sitting area (good for storing the suitcases), and a huge balcony with 2 day beds and great elevated Sea view. The staff were wonderful - nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is 5 minutes walk to the waterfront with its long strip of beach, restaurants/ bars and dance clubs. We ate out each night as the restaurant prices in the hotel seemed overly high by Turkish standards.The pool is wonderful at the hotel so there was no need to go to the Ada Beach Club, which is complimentary to guests. Also complimentary was the Turkish hamam which we did not use but looked very seductive. The property is set in lovely gardens and being upmarket has a wonderful ambiance. Tthe rooms, public areas and the gardens are maintained to a high standard. Highly recommended especially since they charge in US$ which makes it affordable at the moment with the weak dollar vs Euros, $A etc.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MadamJosephine
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Great boutique hotel. The hammam was great, the service great,the private cinema great,the library wonderful,the style and decoration of the rooms classy. A diamond!

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I chose this hotel for a 2 night stay, because I was thrilled by the
description of it's fabled hamam. We rented a car in Istanbul and drove to Bodrum, so this was our finale, and I looked forward to it
very much.
The woman who met us on arrival to the hotel, informed me that the hamam was not working, but that it was being worked on. We did not look for another hamam in case they "fixed" it. I tried to not show my disappointment to the greeter and spent much authentic goodwill energy engaging her in conversation.
I found out later, that the hamam is OFF at this time of year and there was no "fixing" going on. I'm not sure if it was the no hamam or the greeter's falseness that made me shed a tear.
The hotel has an obligation to post it's policy regarding times of operation, respecting it's visitors. I would rather honesty than someone cleaning my room every time I walk out the door.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank niaCalifornia
Reviewed September 20, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Ada in Turkbuku in early September to celebrate my birthday. The Ada is a very special, memorable place, you will become spoiled. I have not had such a perfect experience since Bali -- the Ada is is truly a 5-star boutique hotel, their website does not do justice.

When we arrived, we were greeted with lemonade garnished with sprigs of mint and given a tour of the hotel and a brief description of the area. The hotel is very intimate and romantic, with lots of fresh air and open windows. When the sun sets, candles are placed everywhere -- even along the outdoor walkways. In the main house, there was a room for taking tea, a dining terrace overlooking the sea, a library, a huge wine cellar, a movie theater with about 200 selections (you could opt to watch any of them in your villa, as well), fitness center, and several other beautiful living areas. The Turkish bath was stunning, as was the jacuzzi room. The pool intimately overlooks the sea, surrounded by manicured gardens full of flowers and fruit-bearing trees, and at least one villa has its own private pool.

The "rooms" were really set up as villas overlooking the ocean from their perch on the side of the mountain (each had an outdoor entrance, very private by design so that you could not see other villas from yours.) Our "room" (one of the least expensive, as they were sold out when we booked) was huge, with a living room, bedroom, huge bath and outdoor patio with sunning couches. The floors were stone and the decor impeccable, comprised of interesting and tasteful local artifacts. On the evening of my birthday, I arrived in my villa to find a bottle of champagne, the bedroom filled with flowers, and the bed covered in orchid petals -- none of which was requested or included in our bill.

We chose to dine in Gol-Turkbuku, but the hotel menu looked fabulous -- they allow you to dine either in in the restaurant, or privately, anywhere you wish on the grounds (and there are some beautiful spots). The breakfasts were delightful. The service at the hotel was the best I have experienced, and I have stayed in luxury hotels on 5 continents (it surpasses the Ritz Carlton and is on par with the Banyan Tree, except more personalized, as they listen to what you say and make offers based on your tastes). The staff is fluent in English and several other languages. Clearly the local staff had been extensively trained as they had a sophisticated understanding of all requests, and they were surprisingly fit and efficient, moving quickly up and down stairs and across the grounds to fulfull requests.

After reading prior reviews, we were worried that the hotel would be too far from the bars and restaurants, and debated staying directly on the beach (after comparing the Ada to the other hotels, we were very happy with our choice, especially given how loud and late the music was - at some point you will want to leave the party and sleep). The short distance up the hill is of no concern because the hotel provides a car service to its beach club (located 2 minutes away from the hotel, on the boardwalk near ShipAhoy and the other hot spots) and will take you anywhere else in town, and if you don't feel like waiting 3 minutes for a pick-up, you can hail any taxi and they bill the hotel directly, so you pay nothing. If you wish to go across the peninsula into Bodrum town, you can either take a minibus (for about $3 USD) which takes 30 minutes, or a taxi (for about $20 USD) which takes 20 minutes. I would suggest one day in Bodrum town, they have a wonderful bazaar (much more upscale than the grand bazaar in Istanbul), several lovely restaurants and bars with live Fasil music and jazz, and some upscale seafood restaurants with tables in the sand directly beach. (For the younger crowd, there are 2 large outdoor Ibiza-style nightclubs.)

I would strongly recommend the Ada for couples or anyone wishing to have an unforgettable experience in Bodrum.

• Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank kkc73
Reviewed April 18, 2007

As noted by another reviewer, neighborhood dogs barking and howling kept us up all night. The rooms have very little window covering so the sunlight shines brightly first thing in the morning and there is no way to block it out. The proximity to the town roads also made it easy to hear cars and mopeds driving by all night. A buzzing mosquito inside and a person singing outside our room at 4am were also unpleasant surprises. The rooms are on the smaller side and oddly/modestly decorated. Considering this was the most expensive hotel in Bodrum, we were sadly disappointed and moved hotels after only one night. Definitely not recommended as there are other better choices around town.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple