“Excellent for the Price”

Summer Garden Apart Hotel
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Bitez
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was my second stay in this hotel but it was self catering this time. Our one bedroom apartment was very clean and surprisingly spacious. The kitchen equipment was far better than expected although we didn't cook very much but it was perfectly adequate when we wanted to. The linen was spotless with the bathroom being cleaned and the towels changed daily which was almost embarrassing as I am very aware of using too much water in hot countries. The staff were lovely and extremely pleasant and helpful and although we had room 509 this was NOT in the basement but was upstairs towards the rear of the place which meant we could hear the music in the evening but it wasn't loud enough to cause a problem. As always safety deposit boxes and air conditioning was available for an extra charge but this is standard although the air con was only in the bedroom but it did mean we could sleep. The shower pressure was wonderful and for some reason we always had hot water which was great although the hot water in the kitchen tap was lacking pressure for some reason. We didn't complain as it didn't bother us. Our magnetic key which operates the electricity fell apart and an immediate resolution was found and although it was with sellotape it worked perfectly. I admit that as it was heading towards the end of the season things were looking a little worn in places and not as pristine as it would have been at the start of the season but we paid so little for this accommodation that if we had been given a tent on the lawn I couldn't have complained for the price and the gardens etc are very pleasant too.The hotel is in an excellent position close to the beach and the harbour where I go to dive with Aquapro, the bus stops outside the front door, a reasonably sized supermarket is next door and restaurants and shops are through a 'close' just down from the hotel so everything is on your doorstep without being in your face. I fully intend to stay at this hotel again as it is conveniently positioned, clean and the staff are great. Our only disappointment was that we were not allowed to keep our room on until later on checkout day. Our flight wasn't until 2.25am the next morning and we had to vacate at 12.00. We were allowed to keep our safety deposit box without extra charge which was much appreciated and to be fair we were offered the use of a room to shower in at 6pm that evening. Unfortunately it/they was/were occupied until nearly 7pm as quite a few people wanted to use it/them but as we were the last people in to use it, the room we used was pretty appalling and littered with wet towels and rubbish people had abandoned. I cannot blame the hotel for this as it was down to the people using the room previously but it did take the shine off of what had, until the last day, been an excellent holiday. I mention this only to make people aware of the situation and not in any way to blame the hotel although an occasional check by a cleaner may have made the situation better. This is also the ONLY reason I have marked the cleanliness score down a little. What else can I say but that in case case we didn't get what we paid for but far more.

Room Tip: Even if there are two of you get a one bedroom apartment as they are more spacious. Rooms at the bac...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julesm390

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Ok, let me start off by saying, Bitez is a lovely little village/town. This is my fifth trip to Turkey and this has to be one of my favorite locations!

If you have booked this hotel, dont be expecting a 3star hotel, as this is not 3 star.. I have been in 2 stars and they have been better, so as you can tell I dont expect the ritz when going away. This hotel is a budget hotel, I would not pay a lot for this hotel. We stopped there for two weeks, 25th Aug to 9th Sept the apartment was clean on arrival. We arrived at 5am on the Sunday morning, so went staright to bed at 9am we were awoken by the cleaner, we explained we had just arrived and come back tomorrow... two hours later another cleaner was at the door.. and then a third cleaner appeared later that day.. so we got little sleep.

The room was swept every day and mopped but the bathroom was not cleaned for the whole of the holiday! The bathroom was full of mold, and we didnt really have a balcony see pictures attached (we were in room 1105 in the basement!). Also are bedding was changed once throughout the whole trip... on the second to last day as they thought we were leaving that night... so we had clean sheets for one night!

We heard a number of people ask to change rooms and their request being declined, so due to the room being at the rear of the complex away from the bar and the noise, we decided to put up with these faults. I did hear people saying they hadnt even got a room, and others being put in hotel rooms when they had paid for an apartment.

As others have said the bar staff and reception do need to polish up on their customer service, some of this could be down to the language barrier, but then again a smile is pretty universal! and not once did the bar staff smile! I myself found them to be very rude! The average cost of a beer at the hotel is 10TL (we got an exchange rate of 3.05TL to the £ so this was costing approx £3.33 per beer... therefore not being any cheaper than at home (England). They did have a happy hour from 7-9pm every day where the beer was reduced to 6.50TL still if you do it at the exchange rate of 3.05TL is not really cheaper than England. The average cost of a soft drink is 5TL approx £1.80 on the above exchange!

Our room was located by the smaller pool (around the corner from the main pool) this was know as the "quite" pool yet children still run around unsupervised and make this a none quite pool! So I agree with some of the other comments this should be an adult only pool! The other pool is much better for children... although I never personally tried this pool, I did notice that if you want a sunbed you have to be up at the crack of dawn with your towel! Ready to arm your sunbed (which I dont not agree with so do not do myself!!). I did hear a lot of other people complaining about the hotel and towels on the sunbeds, but I will leave that for them to write a review should they wish to.

I also noted that someone else was only charged 3TL per day for the use of the air con... I wish I had known this when I went as we were charged £3.50 per day!!! therefore being approx £2.50 cheaper for the other person! I never used the safety deposit boxes but they were located in reception and not your room. So just watch out for what you are being charged!

The shop attached to the hotel was very reasonable and was always busy including locals buying items!

We spent most of our time on the beach at the right hand side of the bay, which we found to be much nicer than the left hand side. The average cost of beer was still 10TL cocktails we found for 10TL but did range from 10TL to 25TL... So if you are going away for cheap drinks Turkey is no longer the place to go.. Food was very cheap, and we found from talking to families that went, you get a lot of free items... I would guess this is because they will be sending a lot more than just two people as we were...

We found a hidden gem approx 100m from the Mosque a very small restaurant called El Arbol the food here was amazing, much better than the Red Dragon which every one rates (which was also very good but just not as good as El Arbol), so I would recommend you give this place a try, the owner is a lovely lady who couldnt do enough for you, she didnt hassle you either unlike all the other places which had the guys stood on the front.

There are other bars which offer hammocks and large cushions to sit out on which is a lovely touch, Bitez its self is lovely, offers an amazing views and is a quite little place. A great place if you just want to get away and relax... the hotel wasnt the best and I wouldnt go back to this hotel but for the price I paid for the whole holiday it wasnt too bad £800 for two people for two weeks, you cant grumble at that! (including flights and transfers).

If you would like any information please do not hesitate to ask, I have been to Turkey a few times, and will do my best to help :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Arrived late with my 2 daughters, was a bit upset as booked a apartment, but was given a room with 3 beds in it, no chairs, just beds, one bed was double and one single, was told by reception, in the morning to a room with 3 beds, how ever after listening in reception to people moaning and complaining about their rooms, some appeared to have been given basement rooms (strange) I can only think how dark they were but cool I suspect,some had rooms beside noisey bar area and complained of noise etc we deceided to stay put as we only used it as a base for sleeping. Shower was small and just ok, but had to run the water for several mins to get warm water, used the larger pool area once but as you can imagine summer hoils and excited kids make lots of noise, as are room was near the small pool we did on occasions stay there, thought it was strange that the pool areas have no showers before going for a swim. As we were at the back of the hotel we were not disturbed with noise from the bar so all ok. Careful when you hang out towels to try or clothes on your balcony, they have a gardner that water plants for hours at a time, and he does not care if he wets and get your clothes dirty, he just waters and waters...... Our room was cleaned all the time and had plenty of clean towels. Room was tired, but ok just to sleep. Receptionist was not a happy person, and struggled to smile or say hi, but because of all the complaints she has to deal with I guess I sort of understand. Hotel in a good spot, no problems with getting to beach or Bodrum or local shops. We never ate at the hotel so cannot comment on food etc or never drank at the bar as we used it just for a base to sleep. Would I go back? this hotel is perfect I think for a family with kids who enjoy staying by the pool and doing the night time entertainment which was plenty (I think it started pretty late for young ones 10.30pm but I suppose it is hoilday time) to me it was a bit like butlins, so no I would upgade and book a nicer place, but you pay for what you get

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet, but if your a party person stay in the front and have fun
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Summer gardens was basic but nice. Unfortunately the drinks were expensive. They should lower the price of the drinks to accommodate the hotel 2 star rating. It was cheaper to go to their on site shop and buy beer than it was to order it from them. They say no outside drink or food allowed, but we just brought it in a bag and drank it. The lad in the local opened them for you to drink!!! They would sell much more if they just came down a couple of Lira in price. The hotel should learn from this as they would get more people watching the evening shows if prices were reasonable. It wasn't until the second week we were there that there were a few people who were having money and goods taken from their rooms. It seemed like it was the same cleaners what were doing this, as every time they moved block things went missing in that block. They took all my J'Dore perfume which was £82 a bottle. Plus they were seen wearing my shoes and doing the cleaning in them????? Whatever next !! All in all a nice stay but you had to have your wits about you. I think it was the lovely people we met who made the holiday or I think things could have been pretty boring as not much going on in the hotel itself.

Room Tip: Higher level floors. DO NOT go to basement rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Diann P
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Cheap but not cheerful, this budget hotel has seen better days and the staff in general could do with some customer service training, most only smiling on our last day, presumably hoping for a tip. Basic rooms are clean and breakfast is worth paying a little extra for, however an English cup of tea will cost 4TL if you don't like the local variety (we went to the hotel's own supermarket and bought a pack of 25 tea bags for 3.75TL and took them to breakfast, adding a cup of hot water). The worst thing was noise with other guests being annoying but even worse, cleaners held loud conversations very early each morning and unbelievably staff moved furniture into and out of the next room between 2 and 4am one night, dragging beds and wardrobes along passageways outside our room, shouting at each other as they worked. They said sorry when challenged, then carried on regardless. The swimming pool is spoiled by children and groups of young men behaving badly without parents or staff saying a thing, despite signs saying no diving, running etc. Walk around the bay past the boats to the east to find some small private bays to swim and sunbathe in peace.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have now stayed at the Summer Garden Hotel twice both in self catering. We have never had a problem as all issues are resolved happily e.g having to move rooms to suit old lady and always enjoy our stay. The rooms are spacious enough and comfortable with good aircon which is not overly expensive; a safe is also an option if wanted. Our room was cleaned everyday by a lovely lady and towels were changed every other day. Music at night usually turns off around 12:30 however the bar stays open until the last person leaves. All staff at the hotel are great particularly the bar staff mehmet, ceasear and the others. Each day they made us laugh by putting on pool volleyball games, pool dancing and even little annoying things like shooting us with little green flower pellets and having a weeks long waterfight with us ; P The turkish bath guy was also very nice not too pushy and always said hi and made sure we were okay. The facilities here were great with only a short distance to the amazing beach however the pool is good enough if your not a beach goer. The staff also brought down a whole new table for us when we couldnt find seats to watch entertainment and gave us front row seating :) Defo plan on returning at some point in the future. Thanks for an amazing holiday. Becka and Ayla x

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel by the second pool are much quieter
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My brother arrived here on Sunday night. His room is adjacent to the bar and restaurant. He cannot open his window without being downed out by people chatting which of course they are quite entitled to. He asked to be moved, they said Monday. Nothing happened. He asked to be moved they said tomorrow. Nothing has happened however, he has been told to shut up because he is lucky to have a room as they are overbooked and lots of people don't even have a room. What sort of service is this! These hotels shouldn't have rooms right by their bars and restaurants or if they do they should be the cheapest rooms because they are not good for a relaxing atmosphere which pretty much everyone wants on a holiday. The management should be ashamed of the way they have spoken to my brother who is a customer and the reason their salaries are paid. If you want to stay at a hotel in Bitez and pay well for being insulted then this is definitely the place to stay. Poor chap is on his own, completely miserable and on day three after arrival can't even unpack. He has been saving and looking forward to this all year and now can't wait to come home. Well done to this hotel for destroying a holiday - you must be very pleased with yourselves!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel - book somewhere else - they treat you badly and don't care that yo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo