“Overhyped”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Decided to try Orfoz after a couple of friends recommended the place.

The restaurant is located near Halikarnas Club. It is a nicely decorated, small joint with approx. 8-10 tables. It is almost always overcrowded which, normally, is a good sign.

There is no menu. They bring you a set course... Mostly shells, mussels, etc...

The food is average considering the price. Can't recall all the dishes but as far as I can remember, the starters were pleasant. The "kum midyesi" (sand mussel?) were ok if not a little dry (perhaps waited a little long). The salad was fresh but standard. Black mussels with the butter/herb sauce were amazing. The eggplant was ok but somehow out of place. The squids (extra, not on the menu) were oily and heavy. Grilled octopus was quite good but again, too oily... The shell with bechamel sauce was ok. Finally, the crab (most famous menu item) was ok: not a blue crab (apparently not available in summer) but a largish regular crab. Probably forgot 1-2 others that I can't remember.

They had a good selection of wine (for bodrum) and service was good.

Overall, I might give the place a second try in the winter but I don't think that menu was worth the price (approx 700 TL for a table of four, including 140 TL of wine).

1  Thank TuncY

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Yes we'll worth booking in advance, this is a busy little restaurant. First impression, tables full with locals!! Always a good start. Such a warm welcome... So polite, not pushed for time, give real personal attention. And the the food starts to come, and it just keeps coming, it is so moreish, every dish is just a mouth watering delight.. Yes it helps if you like sea food...
This little gem is well worth every penny & we will be returning..
Oh and as for the comment from alouba03, I think you just need to book in advance, they were very welcoming...

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Run of two brothers, one who serves and the other stays in the kitchen, Orfoz is a small simple taverna style restaurant on a side street in Bodrum. There is no menu so they serve you whatever comes out of the kitchen. The mezze were very good but as the meal progressed each dish seemed to be better than the last. Halfway through the meal I commented to my companion that it was proving to be "one of the best meals I have ever had". A woman at the next table must have overheard me and asked me at the end of the meal what I thought of the food. I repeated what I had said and she said she was a self-professed foodie and felt the same way. We compared notes, raving about garoupa (orfoz in turkish) soup, the baked mussels in rice, the stuffed aubergine, the sublime mussels in olive & parsley, etc. We even exchanged email addresses and swapped pics we had taken of the dishes. Absoulutely exquisite!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

a very tiny place with almost no view and no decor run by two bothers. both cooking, one also runs the service while other stays in the kitchen during the night. we were pre-warned that it is expensive. considering we were in the most expensive resort city of Turkey, it says something. let me tell you up front, you will pay app. €75+ including wine per person for a flow of small seafood (mainly) dishes. however, when you spend the week with fish/salad/raki with no special dishes in anyplace you go, you start to acknowledge the effort and philosophy. there is a fix flow of foods with no visible menu or price. you can skip dishes you donot want to have and stop eating anytime you want. portions are very small, you can easily have 8-10 dishes without feeling full. to me, 5 out of 8 was extraordinarily good (the best mussels I have and I eat them a lot). the rest was also good dishes. stuffed baby calamari was also to die for however a bit heavy at the end of the meal. ıf you can spare this budget and plan ahead (even in April it was hard to reserve for saturday dinner) I would say go there and try.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Nice but it was very crowded in Bodrum. The disheswere super and we recommend when there are no too many people.recommended