“Great value”

and 1 more site!
Tosunoglu Apart Otel
Ranked #22 of 100 Hotels in Bodrum City
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for 9 nights recently and got a great price for it on Fresh Holidays website.

The apartments are slightly out of the centre of Gumbet travelling towards Bodrum and this meant that they were quieter at night. They have a convenient little mini market run by Ali and his family directly across the road and you can pick up all the basics there. Ali is also a taxi driver and will give you a good price for any trips you want to make.

The dolmus mini buses pass right outside the door of the apartments and will take you to Bodrum centre for 3TL (£1).

The apartments themselves are family run. The owners are very friendly and work hard to keep the gardens looking lovely. The pool is a good size and has plenty of sun beds and shade for those who prefer it. There is a pool bar selling drinks and snacks. We had food there some evenings too when the owners arranged a curry night and BBQ night. Both were excellent value for money. The barmen including Lucky were very nice and we had no issues with them at all.

The apartments are located all round the pool area in blocks of 2. The ground floor ones are cooler and have a slightly larger terrace than the upstairs ones which have a balcony. The apartments themselves are pretty big and there is plenty of space for either a group of friends or a family. The beds were clean and comfortable. There was decent storage space too.

We were pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of the complex and will definitely be returning again. We have stayed in a variety of different places around Bodrum and Gumbet and these by far were the best value for money.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are cooler.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank loving_istanbul63

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I would upload my pics but my phone was stolen by the staff at Club Fora in Bodrum (hint - don't go there!).
I visited stayed here from the 12th - 19th of Sep 2013. We were two girls in our mid twenties.
Apartments are very basic, basically a roof over your head while your in Turkey. You have to pay for the AC or a fan to be put in your room which wasn't made clear. You're not provided with simple things like anything to wash your dishes with, cleaners didn't do much if i'm honest, toilet roll wasn't even replaced.
As we got to the apartment it was a bit dirty. My sheets had stains on them, the fridge had orange and brown stains all over and the shower was a bit mucky. The shower goes hot and cold too and I could only use wi-fi by the pool.
Food and drink at the bar is pretty standard (had to return food once or twice), only ate there when I was lazy to walk into town.
The managers were completely unhelpful when I approached them about my phone being stolen. (THE PHONE STORY - Went to a police station near the club who wouldnt help me and sent me to the central police station which is a taxi ride away. They are all turkish men who refuse to help tourists, they only look out for their own. Anyway, i explained that I needed a police report to claim my phone back via insurance, an english speaking policeman gave me this [--] about needing a translator before I could do anything, even though he spoke english! Translators are also very expensive. The worst part was that they claim you need a translator and then they don't provide you with one. He tried to offer me a translators number....well duhh my phone has been stolen! I've never seen such a messed up police system. They basically wouldnt help me, I tried asking a some guys I was familiar with to come down to the police station and help me translate and no one would help as we're simply tourists to them). So the managers of my apartment said they can't help and to go back to club Fora and ask one of the staff to go with me to report it...Right so the same people who stole my phone will want to go with me to the police station...good advice huh?
Anyway I realize i'm rambling on a bit, there's shops close to the apartments and the town is about a 10-20 min walk. A bus to Bodrum is £1. Food and alcohol are £2-10. Be careful of certain activities like the baths and massages as they are done by men, I had a pervy man do my massage and it was a horrible experience (cant go into details here!). If you like a good party then stay in Gumbet as Bodrum is a bit dry for the party scene, only try Catamaran which is the boat party.
To get back to the airport get a normal bus to Bodrum and they have coaches which are 10TL to the airport, much better value than taxi's.
Its what you pay for and I would have rated it a little more if the place was cleaner, the food was nicer and I felt more welcome.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Abi-8
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just had to post a quick comment in response to Charlotte C's post !
Toilet Roll cost about 10 pence in English Money so lets be honest its hardly breaking the Bank having to buy your own toilet roll !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Highburylady72
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I liked the look of these apartments but was a bit reticent ref thefts in the past. Glad to say the management have sacked cleaners/ security guy from last year and I have heard of no thefts at all this season.
The apartments are basic...clean though...and big. If you can put up with dodgy locks on your door and dodgy showers this is the place for you !! The pool area is great, there are always sun beds available ( apart from peak times...school holidays etc ) and Lucky (not so mad !) is a good host behind the bar.
Shop across the road is lovely and supplies all the basics including papers.
As a summary the Tosunoglu is the perfect imperfect place !!! We will return, as do many many others.....and that for me says it all

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Desd412
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Firstly the good points:

The hotel owners are lovely, very chatty and friendly and willing to help. The location is perfect, it's off the main strip which means its quiet enough to relax but only a short walk (roughly 10-15 minutes) to reach all the main bars and restaurants. There are 2 supermarkets close by too. The pool is very big and always kept really clean and tidy, as is the hotel grounds itself. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the apartment, it was massive for just the two of us with a spacious bedroom and very big living area complete with a table, chairs and sofa. Balcony was also of a good size.

We only ate at the pool bar a couple of times but it was very nice and good value for money.

Bad points:

I am not a moaner and have stayed in far worse hotels than this, after all you get what you pay for an for a fairly cheap holiday we could not complain, however this hotel could do with updating a little. The rooms were extremely basic and there were certain things that did not bother us but may others; the mirror had cello tape securing it on the wardrobe, it was very hot stuffy and the air con is only in the living area not the bedroom so pretty pointless. We had our room cleaned every day we were there which was great but some days we were not sure what exactly the cleaner had done except pull back the bed sheet. Our towels were changed every day for the first three days which seemed a bit unnecessary however after that they were not touched until the day before we left despite them being filthy for days. Toilet roll was not replaced so we resorted to buying our own from the shop across the road. On the first day we noticed our toilet was not flushing properly, we reported it, it was fixed but then the day after the same thing happened again and nothing seemed to be done for the rest of the stay.

The bar man Lucky, although he tries to be pleasant comes across as rude and pushy. You get hassled enough on the streets with people promoting bars and restaurants, you do not need Lucky trying to get you to use the hotel bar all the time too. He was also abusive to us a couple of times. Security guard also not very nice and pushed the person I was travelling with on one occasion.

Seems like there is a shortage of sun beds, many people were up very early to reserve them and then did not actually use them all day which is annoying however you could usually find a couple of spare ones dotted around. Drinks from the pool were quite expensive compared with the supermarkets.

Overall we had a lovely time and thought the hotel was a great base with a lovely pool with only a few minor problems. If you don't spend much time in your room then this hotel is great. Don't be expecting anything too fancy and you won't go far wrong here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Charlotte C
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel boasts spacious rooms which easily accomodate 4 adults without a sense of overcrowding. The hotel is made up of two storey buildings with various fruit trees and garden areas breaking up the buildings, making it a lovely setting to relax.The standard of the rooms is what you can expect for the prices that are being charged. The self catering facilities are basic, but who comes on holiday to cook? as long as there is a fridge for cold drinks. We paid extra for the air conditioning which was in the main room, which meant the bedroom got hot a night, although fans could be hired as well. The pool is very big considering the size of the hotel and was checked and cleaned daily, there did not appear to be any lack of sunbeds. The layout of the pool area gave the chance for us to mix with many other holiday makers and make friends, the whole hotel had a safe and secure feel about it.The owners, staff and bar owner 'Lucky' were friendly and made you feel welcome. The food and drink at the hotel is very reasonable in both quality and price. The hotel is very well situated being just a 10 minute walk to bothe the beach and lively Bar Street. The local bus, Dolmus, went past the hotel and these were easy to flag down for trips to Bodrum at a cost of 3 Turkish Lira each. The only one small downfall was that there were a few stray kittens wandering about which sometimes entered our room as we had one on the ground floor.
We booked our holiday with a small internet company called Fresh Holidays.com who I would highly recommend.
This is one hotel which we will be returning to.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DUNK2010
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I have just got back to UK from 2 weeks stay at Tosunoglu apart, we arrived at 2.30 am on our first day, we were shown to a back of the complex apartment, having always stayed in Hotels we were disappointed as we had no view of the pool, the hotel said they would deal with it in the morning, we spent our first night stifled and disappointed, the apartments are inbareable without air con, we were not offered this service, on speaking to reception following morning they could not move us until thurs Friday that week, this was Tuesday, as the rooms were occupied, we didn't unpack until Thursday, we were fed up of loving out of a suitcase, the apartments are run by a lovely family, who honestly can't do enough for you! The apartments are spacious but tired and need updating. We were cheekily greeted by Lucky the Barman, who in his own way tries to be friendly but then on the flip side he is cheeky and rather rude sometimes! Telling us off for not eating at the bar, quite honestly we are on holiday and don't want to feel rail roaded into where we eat or drink for that matter, we were on a budget and found 2 shops left and across the road right of the front gates of apartments, which were 2-3rds cheaper than luckys prices, Now you have to understand that the Turks like Lucky live on commission of sales, although I understand this and appreciate their dilemmas we didn't have the cash flow to keep up to regular Bar visits, the Pool is Superb, really good size and kept very clean, one of the family members keeps the Gardens Beautiful and grows Aubergines, tomatoes, figs, pomegranates, limes and an abundance of flower bushes, all drying out as he stood pouring water on them! Well done for his comitment not easy in 40•C !! From our terrace our view was the back of the Hexagon bar, which we witnesssed the daily up keep if the service they provided. We decided to stay in the apartment as it provided us with shade and privacy to just chill out If we needed to, the sun sits half a day on one side seriously beating down the patios, and vice versa for the other side in the aft, at the front apartments so ours was a welcome relief from serious temperatures, we also found out that you can hire free standing fans from reception, at £10 a week per one, we got 2 as the air con is only in front room and wasn't much good in the rest of the apartment, at £30 a week for air con, our rented Fans were fab!! In town, which is a short 10 min walk, you are greeted by the never ending competition between restaurants bidding your attention to eat and drink with them! The Gauntlet we called it!! Once the job is done thru however means they can to get you in, you are dumped and left to your own devices! One point at Jasmine Gardens 1+1/2 hour wait for our food! Mum was most upset and vowed never to go again! Next door to them is Captains Bar and Grill, the Best establishment in my opinion to which food is served quickly and to very high standards, Rambo works here, he had to be the nicest most helpful person and we relied on him very much, for advice, problems, illness, he cured my mum from a week of illness in one tablet! They have a really good service at this bistro Bar, and seemed such a shame that people listened to ill advice and didn't go! You missed a treat! We kept this place as our fave spot with guaranteed no hassle good food good service, and the most attentive lads that kept customers index the same amount of attention from start to finish!! Further on is the main strip containing bars and restaurants delight, St. Royal jewellers us our next Gem! apart from the most luxurious Coolest place in Gimbet the Owner Umit and staff were Fantastic, i ordered a lbespoke ring to be made, Umit addes up all the cost and knocked so much off for us it was unbelievable, bent over backwards to help keep us Happy, abd treat us like Royalty each time we saw hin, adding free diamonds as present for myself and my sons bespoke ring as a bithday present, superb service! and my ring!!!!!! Beautiful! Thank you Umit, use this jewellers you will be amazed! at the end of the strip is Bar street, vibrant Posh no expense spared Cubbers Heaven! But remember the prices Double here! Bodrum is 15 mins Dolmus ride away that is easily accessible at the front of Tosunoglu apart, be it a bigger bat, the town is shoppers delight, very a traditionally Turkish, Huge Market every day ar the bus station, Gumbet is our Fave tho, the Beach accessible at the end of the strip revelling in colour coded madness! Bean bags hammocks king size beds to stretch out on, shaded Canopys, sunbeds are free although it is expected you buy a drink at least, All in all a beautiful Place Gumbet, Tosunoglu apart otel is a Good standard basic hotel, the Family are lovely and you would enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
#2 of 101 in Gumbet
Dilek Aparthotel
Dilek Aparthotel
#1 of 34 in Gumbet

Been to Tosunoglu Apart Otel? Share your experiences!