See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Aegean Gate Hotel in Bodrum,Turkey is as advertised and more. A neat boutique hotel tucked away on the slopes in Bodrum, far enough to be away from the hustle of Bodrum and close enough to participate in the fun and highlights of the town.
Gary and Rory are great hosts making sure of the details without intruding. Mahmut adds some great local color to the information on the area. The setting is relaxed and can serve as a great base of operations if you're exploring the area by car. Easy flight from Istanbul and the local taxi is cheap if you don't feel like walking. Classic Turkish and Greek cuisines and at reasonable prices for a vacation area. The area's wines leave a little bit to be desired. The archaeological museum in town is outstanding.
The Aegean Gates offers the right level of comfort while capturing the rustic feel of the area. The hotel feels like you're outside the US. It's not the ubiquitous foreign luxury hotel that could be in Arizona or California.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at this lovely hotel which just sits above Bodrom in the hills, so you get a great view and a front row seat to watch the sunset go down with a lovely G & T.

I travel a lot and sample many hotels and this is certainly a little Gem. Very comfortable, lovely white sheets, fresh towels, good shower and a fab location. Add to this a small team of caring people and you have a recipe for success. (an amazing value too!)

From the moment we arrived late at night at around 11 pm we were given a very warm welcome from Mahmoud who seems to turn his hand to most things whether its making a great coffee / tea, cooking a perfectly soft boiled egg to gardening … Gary and Rory love what they do, and the place is spotlessly clean. We enjoyed the walk into town and wandering around following the map that Gary had kindly highlighted in Pen the places to go. Although we were only there for 3 days, it was a fab time, and the Boat trip they recommended was great fun and a lovely day relaxing. His recommendation of a slightly up market restaurant called Kafedaki was also worthy of a visit, if for the views alone.

Finally, the place is spotless, as is the pool. Definitely recommend and the Samson and Grandad their rescue dogs are wonderful, as are the little kittens. The Dogs and Cats very much keep the themselves and really add to the ambiance of the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We just spent 6 weeks travelling in Greece and Turkey with our 18 and 20 year old daughters. The Aegean Gate was the best place we stayed, by far. Gary, Rory and Mahmut were the perfect hosts and catered to our every whim. The local information they provided was excellent and allowed us to truly enjoy all that Bodrum has to offer. We fell in love with the resident dogs and cats but if you are not an animal lover it's still enjoyable as the pets are well trained and unobtrusive.The rooms were lovely, the pool, patio and bar area are beautifully designed and spotlessly clean and the breakfasts were delicious. We honestly cannot think of how the Aegean Gate could be better. We can't wait to make a return trip to Aegean Gate.

Room Tip: We stayed with our daughters in both ground level rooms and loved the cosiness of the plants and the ability to step out right onto the pool and patio area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I originally booked 6 nights, and then quickly extended our stay to 9 (JULY/AUGUST 2013). The Aegean Gate was exactly what we needed -- gorgeous, quiet, has a sparkling pool and stunning views, just a bit away from the real hustle and bustle of Bodrum, affordable, the list goes on. It really feels like a small Villa, and was a pleasure to call home for ten days.

I noticed one guest thought the hotel was loud -- this was absolutely not our experience, and we were there during peak summer season. The Agean Gate is located in a very quiet residential neighborhood. We slept like babies there for 9 nights. (And I'm day dreaming of being back there right now as I write this review.)

We also experienced staying in both the top floor and bottom floor rooms. All are nice and you can't go wrong. The top floor has amazing views and a balcony. This is a great place to take a picture to Facebook your friends and say "Look how cool my Turkey vacation is..." The bottom floor rooms also have their perks, however, as they include a kitchen, have a nice covered porch area, and generally stay a bit cooler. We actually appreciated getting moved downstairs when the temperatures hit around 100 F in August.

And the BEST PART of the Agean is the company of Gary, Rory, Mahmut (and their wonderful pets). I really miss my morning, afternoon and evening chats with all of them. They all make guests feel really welcome, like new friends.

We also appreciated the honest advice about what to do and see in Bodrum. For instance, Mahmut booked us a wonderful boat trip for approx. $20 a person. We really had no idea what we could expect for such an affordable day. My friend staying at the Hilton was being advised that a day trip would cost approx. $150, but she decided to come along with me and give it a go. It was AMAZING! My friend quickly decided that she'd be staying at the Aegean Gate on her next trip after all my raving.

In sum, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bodrum!!!

Thank you Gary, Rory, and Mahmut for a wonderful vacation! We can't wait to see you again!

Christy & Mike

Side Note: If you are considering staying elsewhere (I wouldn't, but if you are..) make sure your hotel is actually in Bodrum. Many hotels - like the Hilton -- add the name "Bodrum" to their name, but they are actually located 25-30 minutes away somewhere else on the Bodrum penninsula. This can be an expensive mistake as taxis to Bodrum are pricey -- can be about $100 each way. Definitely do your research on any other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at this charming boutique hotel in the hills of Bodrum at the end of our 2 week trip to Turkey. The owners Gary and Rory are wonderful and provided a lot of great recommendations for restaurants and activities in the area. Mahmoud, who works at the hotel, is very personable and friendly and goes out of his way to help you with whatever you need and really makes you feel very welcome. The rooms are nice, more of an apartment than a basic hotel room, with stunning views of the hotel's pool, the town and Aegean cost from the huge balcony off the main living area.

One of our favourite things about this hotel are the "permanent" guests, being the street dogs and cats Gary and Rory have so lovingly adopted, they are all so gentle and such a joy to have around - bless your hearts Gary and Rory for taking in those animals!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple