“We will be back!”

and 1 more site!
Turihan Hotel
Ranked #30 of 99 Bodrum City B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We generally like to try different places each year, but the Turihan hotel, was so good, we will be returning next year. The location is great, just by the beach. The restaurant front section was in the open, the staff so friendly and the rooms kept clean. The place was refurbished in May 2009 so everything worked.

The flowers anfd shrubs throughout the exterior parts were beatiful

Value for money was amazing

2  Thank elbon2142

Reviewed October 12, 2009

I'm so amazed at some of the previous recent reviews I had to check the address!

My friend and I spent two weeks (11th to 25th Sept 09) at Turihan Beach, through Thomas Cook, and were pleasantly surprised by our experience. What value for money! I still can’t believe it!

We arrived about 8pm on a Friday, but our room was not ready - not a great start, but we were put up in 5* accommodation next door, for our trouble, and the courteous Turihan receptionist accompanied us to check in and said they would see us at breakfast the next day. We quite enjoyed our stay next door - very plush, but we felt the hotel lacked atmosphere.

The next day, we checked into Turihan room 402.

In summary:

Thomas Cook Rep (Katie) – Didn’t try to sell loads of trips. Did give us the information we asked for – well done!

Hotel Layout -The hotel is delightfully laid out with all rooms facing the pool area on three sides / two levels. The fourth side has a waterfall cascading into the pool. The fresh decor and foliage around the pool area makes this hotel very atmospheric and I don't think it is an exaggeration to say it has a boutique feel.

Pool - The pool and surrounding area were always spotless during our holiday and were continually being cleaned. The cascading water coming into the pool means it is always nice and cool. You should be aware that the pool is all one depth (approx 1.6m I think).

Sunbeds – There were plenty of comfortable sun beds, tables and parasols.

Turihan Beach Area – As above, the hotel provide plenty of comfortable sun beds, tables and parasols at no charge. The area was continually cleaned and bar staff were constantly on hand to bring drinks and snacks. The sea is a very short distance from the hotel and has a very gentle slope re depth, so very safe for children or unconfident swimmers.

Reception – Clean and inviting. We experienced professional, courteous and friendly reception staff. There is a lounge area to sit and wade through the tour operator information, but most of the time we asked the receptionist to point us in the right direction.

Room – Lovely, crisp blue and white décor. The room was clean and spacious with all amenities that we required, including; fully stocked bar, hairdryer, TV (a few English channels) and plenty of storage space. The AC was FREE and effective. The safe was also free. The double glazed doors and windows meant no noise could be heard inside. It was particularly useful, for two women sharing☺, that the basin and mirrors were outside the bathroom! We both agreed that the beds were so comfortable we couldn’t get out of them.

We were on the ground floor, but had a lovely enclosed patio area outside the room, with table and chairs.

Cleaning – The maids cleaned our room and changed the towels every day. I think the beds may have been 2-3 days, but they were made every day. This is some feat, as my friend leaves her OCD at her own doorstep when she comes on holiday! When I asked the maids for anything (e.g. more hangers), I got it.

Breakfast – The Turkish breakfast is what it is! That said, I thought that Turihan delivered a good spread of food and replenished pretty well for all those walking in at 9.55am. It got sooo hot, sooo quickly – I did notice that they were really careful not to let the food stay out too long and they lightly cling-filmed any vulnerable foods from flies. They had PROPER coffee – this is not a given in Gumbet, where most will give you weak Nescafe.

Lunch – There are plenty of tasty, reasonably priced bar meals / snacks that you can order to eat in the bar / on the beach or around the pool.

Dinner – We had arranged B&B, but we paid on one night for the in-house buffet. I enjoyed it, as did my vegetarian friend. It was very reasonably priced in relation to outside restaurants.

Turkish Hamam – Situated next to the pool within the hotel, we tried this on our first day – WOW!! A couple of hours later, my friend and I just about managed to pull our muscles back together to walk the 30 second walk back to our room. Hassan is a professional sports coach and masseur and he knows what he is doing. I’m not going to spoil this for you – just do it!

Bar / Nightlife – Whilst the only official nightlife at the hotel, at that time of year, seemed to be the Thursday Turkish night (Oops missed, but heard good reports) the owner has somehow managed to employ a right bunch of ‘characters’ for bar staff. Our ‘quiet nights in the hotel’ were anything but!

Location / Noise – This hotel was located in an enviable spot – near enough for easy access to the main strip, but far enough not to suffer from the noise! The 5* hotel next door has a little music spot about 9.30pm ish for about an hour. If you are out on the balcony, you might hear it, but not if you are in the room. Compared to most hotels in Gumbet, this, for us, was ideal. We wanted to party elsewhere and then leave it all behind. I should point out that, the clever layout of the hotel means that relatively noisy music can be played in the bar without impacting on other guests.

The important stuff – The reason I enjoyed staying here was because everything about the stay made our holiday better. Getting from room, to balcony, to pool, to bar, to beach was a short stroll. The guest needs seemed well anticipated. Hassan, the masseur, is also one of the most genuine guys we have ever met – he will do anything to help anyone at the hotel. Unfortunately, near the end of the holiday my friend had to be admitted to hospital the day before I had to fly home – he went to visit her several times – no strings, just genuine concern – how often does that happen? A special thanks to Nuru & Mehmet and all the waiters / guys behind the bar – I don’t know how you managed to be in so many places at once, but everyone in the bar seemed to be partying with you whilst you were working – what a skill! The reception staff bent over backwards to help me when, a little bit shell-shocked, I came back from hospital without my friend – my sincere gratitude to you for your help and assistance. To the great family who run the hotel, I have to say that we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would certainly not hesitate to return. To Katie, the Thomas Cook rep, who visited Nicky every day, I thank you.

Gumbet – We went to several lovely restaurants during our stay, but would recommend Saray, Windmill and Anil. The ‘strip’ was sometimes a little much for us, being late 30 singles (ouch), but we managed to have a really good time anyway, and there are plenty of good bars for the (eek) slightly older crowd. You cannot say that there is not enough choice in Gumbet! I really liked a few bars in Bodrum – Latino’s for salsa and a little Turkish folk music bar two doors down on the corner. You could get the bus to Bodrum outside the hotel (2.20 NTL each way) and be there in 15 minutes. We were told that buses were 24 hours, though they seemed to stop at 3pm at the time we were there. It’s only 20NTL in a taxi anyway. We did go on the boat trip, through Rami (Ramizan) outside Turihan hotel. The downside is that we missed out on the cliff jump / mud bath, but the upside is that this boat has 12 – 15 people on, rather than the usual 25-30 and they play traditional music, rather than booming dance music! We enjoyed the trip and thought it was good value for money.

I hope this helps, but I’m happy to answer any specific questions.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank iloveholsBristol
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Arrived, like most, in the early hours of the morning to a very unwelcoming attitude from reception which didn't improve throughout the week. The room was pretty grim, basic, incredibly small and tatty with a constant smell of foul drains and loud music 24/7 from neighbouring bars. We asked for another room and were told by the icy receptionist that there were none available.
The sheets were not changed and the towels only once during the week, the cleaners seem to have the same attitude as the reception.
Having said all that, the public areas are spotlessly clean and modern, the pool is wonderful.
The bar and restaurant staff were fantastic and couldn’t be more helpful or amusing. Two steps out of the bar and you hit the clean sandy beach with the comfortable beds and fantastic views of the bay.
We did use the Turkish Bath and would highly recommend it to anyone, Hassan was great as a masseur and a brilliant source of entertainment in the bar and on the beach.
All in all, two worlds, that of the icy front end staff and then the warmth and friendliness of the bar and restaurant staff.
Would I return here? Only to use the beach, bar and certainly the Turkish Bath.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

Chose this hotel for my first break in Turkey after looking at the reviews on here. At that point the hotel was number 12.

Overall it's a lovely little hotel, with the best sunbeds I've had the pleasure to lay on on the beach, in the 30 years I've been holidaying abroad.

Bad Points (I like to end on a high) - Maid service - at some point during our weeksa stay she must have entered the room as the towels in the bathroom were changed - once during the week. Bed linen - you guess is as good as mine. If it was changed only the bottom sheet would be actually fitted onto your bed. The top sheet would be left folded for you to do it yourself.

Brushes/brooms/mops must be in short supply in Turkey/Gumbet, as our maid did not have one. Either that or she had not been trained in how to use one. I have long hair so it's quite noticible when some falls to the floor. As the week progressed the stray hairs at the side of my bed grew. Bathroom was never cleaned - think we only got fresh towles because I left em on the floor. Their was not notice telling you to do it just remembered using that technique in other hotels in other countries so thought I'd give it a go.

One our first day the tiled walkway outside of our room was hosed down. It was left swimming in water. No matter how careful I walked I ended up going my full length - not bones broken luckily. I did mention it to reception but they didn't seem bothered.

Breakfast - After 3 days was bored stiff with the choice. To drink was tea, coffee and orange cordial. Hot food as boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, and some filo pastry things. 1 day we did have some chopped up sausage. There was 1 choice of cereal, Watermelon, cucmber, tomaotes, feta cheese, olves, sliced ham and cheese, bread, jam, cheese triangles and honey. That's it. You can order a full english for about £4 but you can get this for £2 outside of the hotel in any of the restaurants.

Bar Staff - great bunch of lads - never a dull night and the prices were the same as the bars on Bar Street.

Hotel has a Hamman - Hassan - seems a nice bloke - got a free massage off of him one night in the bar, but never had a Turkish Bath. Bloke selling trips and Turkish Bath from Hotel during the day got some stick one day. He was doing the hard sell for the boat trip on the Marco Polo and a woman behind him kept chiming in - they don't go their, they dont do that.When he'd gone she gave you a frank and honest review of the boat trip.

Overall - not the worst hotel I've ever been in - but with a couple of improvements (maid service) this hotel has some right potential.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank UpTheOwls
Reviewed September 30, 2009

Married couple from the midlands. 37yrs 39yrs.
WE have just returned from the Turihan beach, it was our first holiday without our daughters and were a little anxious as we only booked a last minute cheap deal 2 weeks before but to our suprise the hotel was brilliant, We arrived at 5am and was shown to our room on the ground floor near the pool, the room was a little small but was only needed to sleep so was great really, the bathroom was very clean and had been recently refurbed, bathroom was nearly same size as bedroom. One morning the water was very brown and had to be left running for a good 5-10mins to come clear!. Not sure why that was but only happened the once. Temperature of shower can be tempermental tho, one minute warm, next hot, then freezing, best time to shower is 5pm before the rush, can get descent water temps then.The room came with excellent aircon which was free and a mini fridge full of ice cold drinks(which have to be paid for at the end of the stay). Plenty of room for extra water tho. The maids cleaned daily, sheets were changed but hadn't been laundered to good, were a little stained but were clean and fresh. The pool area was also very clean and plenty of beds surrounding it, sun trap for most of the day too. With the beach right outside the hotel we never had to worry about getting a sunbed, the beds on the beach were great, real comfy matteresses on them, the beach its self is a little shingley but still very pleasant. The waiters would bring drinks and food to you without any fuss. Excellent. Some staff seemed a little miserable tho but still friendly. THe breakfast was a little bland but did say it was continental B&B, so didn't expect to much but we did ask for more butter and was told non left, so we had dry french stick that morning! The night life is very close by but not to much into the hussle and bustle, i would say 5minute walk to Bar Street, nice clubs and pubs. Many shops to grab a bargain. And the restuarants were brilliant. We would highly recommend China Town either for breakfast or evening meal, the stafff and food were 10/10.Spring rolls are gorgeous especially the chilli dip. The windmill at the top end of bar street is a beautiful small restaurant with steaks etc, brilliant. We were only on holiday a week but visited China Town once for breakfast and twice for evening meal. the bar staff around the town can be a bit pushy wanting you to drink in the bar but thats the way they are. You just have to be a little abrupt and they get the message. Overall the week away at this hotel was great, relaxing, just what we needed. I would visit Gumbet again and will recommend this hotel, this hotel is definetly a 3star plus, We have stayed in marmaris previously and found Gumbet a little more expensive but still cheaper than home so can get some real bargains. We reallly enjoyed our stay. THe only negative thing I can say was we had to be out of our room by 12noon even though our coach pick up wasn't til 11pm, We wernt able to have late check out as we were told the hotel was fully booked but 3 rooms(of what we noticed) were still empty when we left at 11pm. No where to store luggage or shower or change. So we had to strip off in the loo near the pool and change for our flight home. THe hotel should have some area to freshen up before leaving. But thats it, nothing else really to complain about.

1  Thank mrstMidlands_England
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We live in Turkey and went here for a weekend break with some friends. We all paid the same rate and our friend's room was fine (as per the pictures on the website), although their water was only tepid even though it was 30 degrees outside. Our room was a different story. It was in an older part of the hotel, small, dirty bathroom, dirty towels. Air conditioning unit did not work even though this was supposed to be included in price. TV remote did not work. Worst of all, on our first morning the water was just a cold trickle and on the second morning there was no water at all. (We could not even flush the toilet). On complaining about this we were told that they were having problems getting the water to our part of the the hotel as it was further away and that we could use the hotel sauna and showers. We went down to these but decided against this as they were below ground level with no ventilation and the smell down there was disgusting. We were also awoken by a howling dog in the early hours which appeared to be locked in the room above us. I definately would not have wanted to spend a week or a fortnight here. It seems to be the luck of the draw whether you get a decent room or not which explains why the reviews are so different from each other.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2009

The hotel itself and staff are faultless, certainly helps being a family run business. The rooms were clean and pool and beach area were cleaned every day. The hotel dog is adorable, but then so are the various dogs which seem to roam the beach area (all of which are very friendly and in fact tend to lie in the shade of your bed or under them during the heat of the day). Turihan certainly has the best beach bed mattresses ever and they are the envy of the adjoining hotels - get 'em quick!! Although I didnt have the turkish bath from Hassan the hotel's resident masseur, family members did and said he was excellent. He always made a point of speaking to everyone daily whether you had been to see him or not. The shops in Gumbet itself are the mainly the same the staff really dont like it when you dont buy, they can harrass you but watch out for the locals selling the roses on the street as they will give you this as a gift and a band for your partner (putting it on their wrists) and then ask you for payment.

Now for a few niggles - whilst the rooms were clean, the doors dont fit and it can let in a draft in the wind came in that way and sometimes the plumbing smells. The sheets were not always clean (soiled and not washed out) but they are changed regularly and if asked at Reception they would be replaced.....but you shouldnt have to ask! The food was ok, much of a muchness every day and sometimes not hot. If you didnt get there earlier enough and the hotplates of food had run out they didnt replenish them during the meal slot, this may be different in the height of the season but we were their with less than 4 weeks to go before the end of and it was a lot quieter.

Now for my biggest moan - the hotel has its own on site tour promotor who in himself is ok. However do not believe the rubbish which comes from his mouth regarding the boat trip of "Marco Polo". We did this at the end of the first week and were assured that we would visit at least 4/5 different stops (which each of the boat trips companies in the area covered) and that we would have at least an hour at each. NOT TRUE!!!!! We found the boat was lovely, as was the Captain, the food wasnt bad either but we only had 30 mins in the Aquarium, an hour at Camel Beach (which is literally a beach with a camel ride taking about 5 mins in a small circle) we stopped for lunch and tea/buscuits during the course of the day but we didnt get to the hot springs which are in the opposite direction nor the cliff diving. When raising this on our return we were simply informed that the capitain was new and didnt know the route, the hot springs had stopped bubbling and the cliff diving was cancelled by the Government Officials due to being dangerous. The latter I could understand but then why sell the trips on the premis that you were going to these places (especially when the other boat companies were doing the same trips and actually turning up at the points advertised). The Captain had been doing the trips for a while according to the other residents.

All in all, I wouldnt hesitate to return to the Turihan, there are lots of wonderful places to eat out eg China Town is an absolute must and visit Steve at Cafe Barumba, a real charachter (dont believe him when he teases you saying you own him a beer though - sorry Steve (heheh). There is no night entertainment in the hotel but go next door to the small ampitheatre at the back of their pool and they put on some excellent shows (especially the circus night - incredible).

1  Thank NickyC295