“Great location & friendly staff”
Review of Turihan Hotel

Turihan Hotel
Ranked #12 of 95 Bodrum City B&B and Inns
Essex
“Great location & friendly staff”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Turiham hotel for two weeks from 10th June 2011. We are a couple in our early twenties and were looking for somewhere cheap and close to the beach with bars nearby (but not clubs).

The location of the hotel is perfect, couldn't be better. You literally are on the beach. The sunbeds along the beach are free (as are all of the sunbeds outside the bars and restaurants along the entire beach) and staff from the hotel often come to you when you are sun bathing to ask if you would like a drink from the bar - they won't bother you though if you decide to bring your own. (Though it is polite to buy a drink from a bar if you are using their sunbeds and it isn't your hotel - polite, I would say, though not compulsery). We never had a problem getting sunbeds either and most of them are cushioned and very comfortable.

The hotel itself is nice enough. The pool is quite small and has no shallow end, but not a problem for us. The dining hall for breakfast (we were B&B) wasn't too busy in the morning, but often got busy in the evening for those on half board. The staff always found everyone a table though, no one waited long, and often people ate on tables along the beach.

The food. Right. The breakfast was okay, better than I was expecting actually. There was bacon (very crispy!), sausages (spicy, not English), scrambled egg, bread, baked beans (not heinz, not nice!), a selection of cold meat and cereal. There were also little pastry type things which I really liked, but most of the breakfast was quite iffy. Not really worth getting out of bed for. (I think breakfast was 8-10.)

I was told by a couple who were half board that the evening meals were awful, though I don't know this for sure. I did eat at the hotel's restaurant twice during my stay on both of the Turihan's Turkish nights. They did a BBQ both times and had a belly dancer who was really funny. On the first Turkish night the food was passable, though not great to be honest. The second time we did it the food was much better and I really enjoyed it. The cocktails at the bar are nice enough, drinks were pretty much the same everywhere. The bar does do a happy hour for half price drinks, but this isn't during mealtimes for the half boarders. Dinner was 8-10, I think, and happy hour 10-12.

Our first room was a bit of a disaster. When we arrived at the Turiham, at stupid o'clock in the morning, we were shown to a room which had a large stain down the wall below the air con. It was horrid. My boyfriend said if it still bothered me in the morning then we'd make a fuss, but as it didn't bother him I decided to leave it. About five days later water started to leak out of the air con and down into the plug socket. At first the hotel man sent someone to fix the air con, but it began leaking again. So, we took a photograph of the leak and the stain and showed it to our Thomas Cook rep. Well, she went mad! What we probably should have done was show the picture to the man at reception first (who was happy to give us a new room), before speaking to our rep as the pair of them soon got into a huge argument. It was arranged that we would get a new room the next day and a bottle of wine and bowl of fruit for our trouble. This may sound like a bit of a horror story, but I think we were probably just unlucky. The next day men went in to fix the air con and repainted the whole room.

Our new room was perfect! The shower was much bigger and the bathroom nicer in general. The rooms are white and a little tired looking, not pristine, but good for the money! Each room has it's own fridge and the air con is free. There is also a TV though it only has a couple of news channels in English. The bed was comfortable. The room was always clean. Spot on.

You get new towels every two days. Beware, just because you leave towels scrunched up on the floor or in the shower don't assume they will be taken away and new ones left out. One day we found our used, damp and dirty towels that we had left on the bathroom floor hung up again in place of new ones. Luckily I spotted that they were the dirty ones so we didn't use them! We did mention our concern to the hotel man who made sure we were sent new ones.

There is some noise. The huge hotel next to the Turihan plays loud music during the day and evening. We had no problem sleeping through it (it wasn't too loud) but if you are looking for peace and quiet bare this in mind.

Ozzy does the Turkish Baths at the Turihan, which are great! Really private, just the two of you in the room, as apposed to being in a huge group at the big Turkish Bath place that the Thomas Cook rep suggests. Really great fun, a great experience- I loved the bubbles! Ozzy is also really helpful if you have any questions about the area and offered to let us use his laptop if we needed the internet. Really lovely, friendly bloke. He even drove my boyfriend to a cashpoint when we couldn't find one to use.

Cashpoints - when we went in June there weren't any cashpoints working. The nearest one was near the Oasis shopping centre, about a half hour walk from the hotel. I don't know if this has changed.

Phones - the best thing to get is a phone card which you can buy from your rep or any of the little shops. We were assured this was the cheapest way to contact home and there were pay phones everywhere.

Money - can be changed up in lots of places in Gumbet, often for a better rate than back home. Many of the shops, even the smallest ones, happily except Euros and pounds as well as Lira.

A few extra things that we found out:

**You can get a lovely English breakfast from The Royal, a restaurant just down the road from the Turihan, for £2.
**There is a great bar called Alora, just along the beach from the Turihan, which has probably the best cocktails and does shisha pipes. It also has loads of comfortable pink sofas and hammocks and sometimes does a foam party!
**Lots of restaurants will offer you free garlic bread/freshly baked naan bread and garlic butter. Yum! Let them make you an offer. We liked the restaurant with the bar build round a tree (not far along the beach).
**Food in Turkey is great. Annalivia's is one of the best restaurants and you can get a free taxi there if you get the man at reception to phone them. This is a standard thing they, and some other restaurants, do.
**If you want a slightly nicer restaurant (they had a wine list, so posh by Gumbet's standards!) there is one not far from the Turihan called Sarray Zetas, I believe. This was suggested to us by one of the bar men and was lovely. If you walk along the man road past The Royal and take a right at Our House you will find it tucked down a little road there. Talking of Our House, thats also a great place to eat. We ate there twice at least.
**There are a couple of Turkish bakerys not too far from the Turihan, on the way to the Oasis. Worth a visit!
**The Oasis isn't amazing, just your regular shopping centre with some
clothes stores you will recognise - quite expensive. For souvenirs stick to bar street and the surrounding area.
**You can get a great deal on faux bags/clothes at the market. Not as cheap as you might think, but the quality is probably better. You can haggle, of course! We took a day trip with Thomas Cook and did the market, Turkish Delight place (omg so good!) and the Gold Centre.
**Gold - gold and jewelry in general is cheaper in Turkey. Sales people can be pushy though, so make sure they know no means no! Or get yourself a good deal.
**There are bars, it was much busier than I expected, but the nightlife isn't a patch on Zante or Napa or any of those sort of places. Possibly not the ideal location for your clubbing holiday. There are only two proper clubs in Gumbet and they arn't fantastic. There is a club in Bodrum on a catermaran (boat) though, which leaves about 10/11pm and doesn't come back until 6am!
**Bodrum is great for a wander. Good for shopping and there is a Starbucks! Bodrum Castle is also great, worth a visit. We loved it.
**We took a catermaran to Kos for the day. It's very pretty there, though there isn't a lot to do. Great for shopping and beautiful to walk around, or sit outside with an ice cream sundae or a crepe.
**Do a boat trip. We booked ours through Ozzy at the Turihan, though they all look the same. Such a good day for relaxing and a change of scene.
**I can't stress enough, CHICKO'S is THE BEST bar in Gumbet. Such a great group of blokes, we spent most of our second week there. The entertainment is brilliant, the guys made me laugh so much and always include you in the fun! Great cocktails from Halil, of course. Thank you so much to everyone at Chiko's, we had such a fantastic time.

I hope this review helps. Overall we had an amazing time in Gumbet and would go back to Gumbet and the Turihan. The weather was also amazing in June. I love the sun and it was even too hot for me at times! The food is cheap and drinks arn't too expensive. Have fun and enjoy :)

Room Tip: If you arn't happy with your room, ask at reception if you can move. We did.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AmyJo22

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My first trip to Turkey and we will definately return. I was part of a party of 4 - 2 couples. The hotel was fab! The rooms were cleaned everyday with fresh towels and sheets. The rooms were basic - there was a hair dyrer, fridge and safe included. The pool was also cleaned everyday.
The breakfast was also basic, but there was sausages, scrambled egg and bacon most mornings which was just like home. The food in the resturants around was very good - great value for money. I would recommend Windy Bay and Zetas for food. In zetas you ate at tables on the sand right on the beach - with a free fish bowl after the meal.
The beach was very clean and shallow. The sunbeds were free right outside the hotel with mattresses included on the beds and there was a waiter service if you wanted to avail of it.
I will definately return to the hotel!! Great value for money :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank inez f
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Returned yesterday from a weeks stay at the Turihan. Arrived there early hours in the morning and were welcomed by the staff. Our cases were taken up to our room which was on the second floor. The room was nice with a lovely shower. Not a lot of storage space for your clothes though. We had a good size balcony with a partial pool and sea view. The breakfast was basic with scrambled egg, beans , bacon, bread, cheese, ham, tea, coffee etc. (The bacon was lovely.) The pool area was quite small but very nice. The pool was the perfect place to cool down it was 45 degrees!! There was a small supermarket there which was very reasonable. The location was brilliant, on the bay with lovely restaraunts all along it ,and not far from the shops and bars. The staff at the hotel were lovely, as were all the Turkish people, very friendly. There was entertainment on now and again in the evening which was very good, have to say though not really a hotel for children as there was nothing there for them and the pool didn't have a shallow end. Although im sure the staff would have been great with them. We had a Turkish bath with Ozzy and his partner in crime. It was fantastic. Only £10 each and lasted over an hour. Would definatley recommend it. The hotels are very close togeather and it can be very noisy in the day with the mixture of music comming from them. The only downside I have is that our room wasn't cleaned very well and our bedding was not changed during our stay. The shower tray leaked and they wouldn't do anything so we had to mop up water every time we showered. We ate out at the Windy Bay twice. The food is fantastic and very reasonable. Also ate at the Royal and the Bronze Bar. Food was beautiful and the staff can't do enough for you. We went on the trip to Kos. A bit of a nightmare getting through border control but lovely on the cattamaran. We caught a bus in to Bodrum, which cost us about 80p each. Bodrum was lovely, there is a lovely harbour there, a bit more upmarket than Gumbet. We also went to the market. What an experience! They were very persistant to sell you things even trying to put things in your bag. We did haggle and buy a few things but were glad to get out of there. They do hassle you and I do understand that they have to make money but half an hour there was enough. There are lovely shops across the road. I have added some photos. If you want to ask me any questions ask away.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Me and my friend stayed at the Turihan for 11 nights in July. We chose this hotel, after deciding against the Ali Baba, due to terrible reviews on here, and reading such good reviews about the Turihan!

We arrived at the hotel and were taken to our room by Hitaj (? not sure about spelling, but the night receptionist) and he carried my bag, which was very kind of him (we chatted to him a bit during our stay and I can honestly say he is a really lovely man). The first room we were shown to was a double but we wanted a twin. This was immediately sorted by swapping with other guests being shown to their room at the same time, that wanted a double room.

The view from our balcony was amazing, literally breath taking. As the hotel is on the beach, the view of the bay, during the day and at night when all the lights came on, was just brilliant. Although, we were close to town, it was far away enough to not be noisy at night. In the day, everywhere played music, so you had it from every direction. Some people won't like this, others will. Personally, I enjoyed always having music to listen to. The room was wonderfully clean, and bright. The bathroom had a great shower. There was free air con in the room too! We had the issue of people wandering past our sliding doors, as the balcony was one long one for about 4 rooms. And also the fridge in the room was kept neat inside a cupboard, and this led to my friend slicing her finger on the top of the cupboard when we went to open the fridge. But aside from these 2 things no complaints! Remember to buy bottled water (you can't drink the tap water) and stick it in the fridge (it was only 2tl for a large bottle from the on site shop), and not to put loo paper down the loo. The maids did a wonderful job of cleaning the room, but my friend goes through about 6 towels a day, so coming once every other day was not really enough- every day would have been better. Although I don't blame them for being reluctant to clean it! Hahaa!

Anyway, we got to know the staff well at the Turihan and they were all wonderful. Corhan and Ozzy spoke fantastic English. Corhan helped me with my friend when she got ridiculously drunk which was very sweet of him. And Ozzy was a star! He made me feel really safe and comfortable, as I knew that if there was ever an issue, which I did have with one of the members of staff making me feel rather uncomfortable, I could speak to him- he was always reliable. Deniz and Serhan were always up for a drink with us in the bar, well I say a drink with us, they didn't drink, but they joined us and they were always a good laugh. James, an ex-pat, was another fab member of staff- really keen to advise and please, really nice bloke. 2 other members of staff, who's names we never actually got, but one referred to himself as Tevez and the other Tyson (I think, I can't remember exactly) were really sound too. Tevez seemed to do all the work though- he worked really, really hard! One of the days that we went onto the beach, we couldn't see any sunbeds and he brought 2 over to us from further down the beach, to exactly where we wanted to be- fantastic service. Anyway, to sum up about the staff, we loved them!

We had bed and breakfast at the hotel but think we only actually had it twice, and it was a really full continental breakfast (bread, cheese, meats, eggs, olives, tomatoes, watermelon etc) with the occasional treat of bacon (at least I think it was occasional- one breakfast we had it was there, the other it wasn't hahaa).

The location of the hotel was perfect. As I've already said, on the beach, and the patch of beach that it occupied, had free sunbeds with waiter service. It was literally 5 minutes down the road to the centre of town, where bar street was and the cash machines (although they were often broken, and you had to find another, but fortunately they were all close together). You were surrounded by restaurants at all times really, and shops.

DO NOT eat in Casper's, unless you're looking for a cheap fry up. We had tea there one night, and I fancied Chinese, and it was rubbish. The prawn crackers were soft and the food was below average. On the first night we went to the Ozukara in the middle of town and we were served by Patrick (he called himself Sexy Swayze) and he was very entertaining- although when we returned to say bye, he'd either been fired or left (not surprising really, as although he was entertaining, he was very 2 faced- he slated the lesbian couple sat behind us to us, then was overly nice to their faces, I appreciate it's about making money, and keeping business, but it wasn't necessary to slate them to us, and if anything it made us feel very uncomfortable). There was a really nice steak house called the Colombia- the steaks were absolutely delicious, although the staff weren't very friendly. I really enjoyed the food in the Hotel Ayra restaurant (and the staff were great), and also the Serhay (just down the road from the Turihan), the Windmill was nice too, but the best food we had was at the Angel, which was along the beach to the right of the Turihan, the restaurant at the very end. It was beautiful surroundings and the food delicious. We did eat in the Turihan in the evening once, but the portion of calamari was rather snide. I did have lunch there a lot though, as it was just easy, coming straight from the pool or the beach, into the restaurant and then going back (although you were surrounded by places to eat so if you weren't lazy like me you could easily go somewhere else). It was very nice and you should definitely try Pide- it's like a pizza but the base is like pitta bread and the topping is minced lamb and herbs. You should put the parsley, tomatoes and onions its served with and a squeeze of lemon on top of it before you tuck in (James informed me). Unfortunately, I really wanted to have some good Turkish food, but this Turkish pizza was about all I had. There didn't seem to be any restaurants just serving traditional Turkish food.

Some people are very put off Turkey due to the harrassment, but Gumbet really is nowhere near as bad as some areas I've been to. If you just ignore them, or say hello and no thank you (I don't like to ignore people) then there's not really any issue. I mean occasionally they are quite persistent if you show the slightest bit of interest, so I guess you should just be sure you want something, before you go near the place, or just be very firm. In one shop we went in, the shop assistant stood right over us, which was awkward, but in the others, once we'd come in, we were just left in peace to browse. And make sure you barter when you go to pay! I got very good fake ray bans for 10 tl! Also, I should warn you, DO NOT EVER make a promise to a Turkish person and break it- they will remember! Some friends we made over there had promised to come back to a place, as we had done, and in both cases, at both places, the people remembered us when we walked past and hadn't come back in and they were not impressed! DO NOT PROMISE!

Now to Bar Street. We went in X Bar quite a bit, but it was expensive. They get you in with a free cocktail, then you order one off the menu (which has no prices) and find out they're 15 lira each, which I know is only about 7 quid, but the majority of cocktails over there were 10 lira each. We had a wicked time in Shakers. They requested we got on the bar and we had such a laugh. We loved Bar 20 (opposite the Windmill). The staff were really nice, dead funny, dead friendly. Club Mood was awesome when it wasn't Turkish night (all the music and people in there were Turkish- we felt a bit lost). You should definitely visit My Moon bar- we had a good laugh in there. There were 3 Turkish lads dancing, and they'd get you up to dance with them. The owner with the curly hair was lovely, really sweet. We enjoyed Roy's Karaoke Bar the first night we went in, but the second, we had 2 incidents that showed the waiters true colours. First when my friend didn't do the traditional kiss on either cheek greeting (she didn't know what the man was doing when he leaned in and I think it surprised her or threw her a bit so she pulled away) and he stormed off. Then, second, when I was drinking my cocktail and didn't want to get up and join the conga train (I usually do, I love it), the man leading it made some remark in Turkish, which I'm convinced was not pleasant. It was as if once they'd got us in there and we'd spent our money once, they weren't bothered about us again. A family we made friends with there went in several nights, spending about 100 tl a night, and they behaved the same with them- rude. However, they did have some regulars, that we saw in there every night, that seemed to be very welcomed. Oh, and we didn't, but we had friends that went on the Catamaran, the party boat. It's 30tl each to get on (except on ladies night- reduced price for women then!) with a free drink (but drinks are expensive after that so drink at your hotel before you go) and is apparently amazing! When I return I will be on it! It did look incredible out at sea (we could see it flashing away when we were eating at the Angel).

Just 2 other things about the hotel before I end. 1) The pool has no shallow end, it's quite deep all the way along. About 160cm I think. So bare that in mind with children. I mean there were kids playing in it, and there were plenty of lilos to play on (if there isn't when you go, they're 2tl at the shop) but it's just a thing to think about. 2) Have a turkish bath at the hotel- they have a Turkish bath there and it is INCREDIBLE. Ozzy and Morat do the Turkish bath. If you go out, it may cost less to begin with but they'll charge you extras when you get there. It happened to our friends. Cost them 20tl each to book the Turkish bath and an extra 50 tl each when they arrived. Ours was 50 tl each all in. We had a sauna, a scrub down, a foam massage, a face mask, complementary tea, and an oil massage. I was so relaxed. And because it takes all the dead skin away, if you have it at the start of the holiday, you get a much better tan. Wouldn't recommend it when you're well in to your holiday- it'll scrub your tan off. But they do offer lots of other services at the hotel other than the Turkish bath if your well into your holiday and in the mood for some pampering- manicures, pedicures, massages etc. I've had Turkish baths before in Turkey, this was honestly the best I've ever had.

To conclude, when I return to Gumbet, it will definitely be back to the Turihan. I don't see the point in trying anywhere else when this was so perfect! I highly recommend the Turihan!

I hope this review has been helpful!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank amyrebeccax
swindon
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I went to the turihan in july with my son 6 my mum and a neighbour 16 for a week when you get there the first thing you see is a massive AL hotel next door and feel alittle disappointed but when you get in they staff are really nice on recpetion and the waiters are lovely the rooms are clean and have everything you need. the beach is on the doorstep and there are some lovely resturants up the road. the only bad thing i have to say is the sun beds the pool area is small and there are about 20 sunbeds but if you are not by the pool by 8.00am forget about getting on usual rubbish and beds being claimed by towels then no one coming near them until late afternoon was so frustrating and a real let down for me. This place is great for a cheap get away or and 18-30 base.night time is tricky if you want an early night as the hotel next door plays the music really loud until about 2-3am. it is not set up for kids there is nothing for them but the staff are really good at playing with them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Having been to Bodrum many times, I can say in all honesty the Turkish sauna/bath was by far the best..Ozzy was great to chat to,a mine of information and very helpfull.He explained about the Turkish bath and the cost up front ....there were NO extra.s added at the end as many other places do...we had about two and half hours of being pampered,and there was never any rush to get you out..We started with the Sauna,then the strub down (to get rid of dead skin)then a wonderfull foam massage,after this a face mask,then lastly a oil massage,for two of us 50 lira that works out at less than £10.00 each,what a way to start your holiday....I'll be back Ozzy for a repeat in Oct..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mel5269
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

it was a great hotel very clean and friendly the staff was great and the night life was mint!!there are lots of trips you can go on!!i would defo have a turkish scrub you get a better tan aswel.just remember banter with the turks if you buy anything!!we've just come back in july and have oready booked to go back in sept!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,459 reviews
Gumbet Cove Hotel
Gumbet Cove Hotel
#29 of 99 in Gumbet

Been to Turihan Hotel? Share your experiences!