“CAUTION: Do not, I repeat, do NOT go to the Ora”

Hotel Ora Holiday Village
Ranked #76 of 99 Hotels in Bodrum City
Canterbury
“CAUTION: Do not, I repeat, do NOT go to the Ora”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I went to this 'hotel' two years ago and I never thought to review it so I have decided to do so. This 'hotel' was...different to say the least.

Where shall I begin? There are loads of places I could start but I'll start here. It's actually nothing to do with the hotel but we found out just after we entered the airport in Bodrum that we had to pay for visas! Nowhere on the Olympic Holidays website did it say something like 'Make sure you bring about £15 for each traveller to pay for their visas." So that was about £45 worth of traveller's cheques wasted.

Secondly, the coach journey. Not one of our major concerns but instead of the said duration of 10 minutes on the website, it turns out be 45 minutes long! Long coach journeys are one thing but untrue information on a website that says you can 'book with confidence' is disgraceful!

Now, the hotel itself. My list of complaints is endless. From the moment you enter the hotel, you may as well start complaining! An outdoor reception - apart from this one, what hotel do you know that has an outdoor reception? You may know many but in my experience of holidays, I don't! Don't worry, I'm only just starting with complaints here.

Our room. In one word, tiny. I could only just fit into my bed. My parents could fit into their bed no problem. Also, very little light - a couple of dim wall lights for my mum and I and we both spend about half an hour in front of a mirror doing hair and make-up! My main concern about the room was the dirty and dark bathroom which was about the size of a broom cupboard! If you are 5ft 5" in height, you would have to duck to fit in the shower and you would be put in exactly the same shoes as my dad! If you, for some ridiculous reason, pick this hotel, be prepared for a cold water shower!

Daytime entertainment - well, if you want it call it 'entertainment.' The entertainment team did not look like they were enjoying their job and their bad taste in music blared so loudly from the huge loudspeakers that you could not have a nice peaceful relax on your sun lounger.

Food. The main restaurant wasn't as large as we were expecting but was a reasonable size and offered a good range of food for dinner. This and the swimming pool were probably the only things we liked about the hotel.
Do not, I repeat, do NOT have lunch at the pool bar. Why? I'll tell you why. The food is COLD! They start preparing it all at 11.30, put all the meals in paper plates and stack them up ready to serve them to the queuing holidaymakers at 12.30. Like me, I'm sure you would not like to have a lunch that was prepared 1 hour before lunchtime then come to eat it and it's cold.

Finally, one major concern was how badly the staff handled a drunk man who was going round annoying people including us, sitting down at their tables and even putting his arm around a little girl. Shockingly, the staff found this quite amusing and I was expecting them to respect their guests and deal with it but what did they do? You guessed it! Nothing!

The last thing I have to say is...stay away from the Ora! It kills!

Room Tip: Can't really comment constructively as we didn't see any other room types. If you're pre...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

As a Turk, I was truly embarrassed about the quality of the place. Our advice is to pay a little more and get somewhere decent with the meals, and facilities. We ended up going out; it was easy for us since we know Bodrum well.
Management ignored my requests to discuss their arrangements.

4 Thank BKinUK

Travelers are raving about these Bodrum City hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

What can I say for a resort that proclaims to be a 4 Star, rooms cramped and looked like they had been bulit in the dark ages, food cold and the same for luch and dinner, little or no entertainment, no balcony as suggested in brouchure, unhelpful reception staff, do i need to go on!!!!. Please do yourself a favour and do not come to this resort !!!!!

2 Thank Chocfulofnuts
Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

cold food,unfriendly staff.No balcony as advertised.Loud music late at night.Not really for the English.rep not very good at airport.

2 Thank scruffy6
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

We have just returned from a week at the supposedly 4 star resort and wish we had not bothered. On viewing our room on arrival i felt like crying, the room was dark and dingy, the bathroom not very pleasant and the base of the bed was covered in mould and that was only the beginning of our problems, what with a rep who was not interested or agreed with our complaints off the record, staff who did not speak English and food that made school dinners look cordon bleu - all in all a huge disappointment. The only redeeming part of this holiday was the wonderful view from the lovely pool area. Don;t bother going.

3 Thank sansom1
United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

No wonder there are limited pictures in the brochure/internet! This hotel was not the 4 star we paid for and false advertising ruined our holiday! The pics we did see before going looked lovely and from a distance our pics look lovely too. In the flesh the floors were filthy and we witnessed a complete hose down of the restaurant area once in the whole week.
This was not even at the hotel we paid to stay in! The food in ora resort was recycled from evening meal to breakfast and possibly lunch too. Flies and ants on bowls of manky lemons that I had to ask to be removed!
We had no balcony as advertised. Instead of enjoying a drink on the balcony with the kids in bed we had to sit in the boiling room or attend the poor entertainment which commenced at 10pm.
We were told the day after arrival that we could use all of the hotel onura facilities next door which was slightly better but not what we paid for.
All my children got ear/throat/nasal infections the day before returning home due to the filthy pools which were never hoovered just shocked nightly with what smelt like pure bleach!
I could go on and on about what wasn't right with this holiday but am sick of talking about our dissapointment.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

4 Thank Dinodan20
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

"Very dissapointing Holiday"
1 / 10
(user rating)
Date of Holiday: Aug 2010
Submitted By: pats
On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very un friendly man on the reception & was given 4 sweaty cheese rolls wrapped in cling film & then taken down a very uneven path area with hardley any lighting to our room. On booking this holiday i had requested that our rooms would be next to each other as we have two teenage daughters to find that we were two floors apart, i then was unable to sleep as it was so hot & our air con did not work two days later we were moved to the ground bfloor next to our daughters. we both became very ill on the third day & required the doctor at a cost of 100 euros & continued to be ill for the rest of our stay & felt this was due to the bad hygiene with the food & drinks machines. we would not rate this as a 4* hotel it was the worst holiday we have ever had. Please do not waste your hard earnt money going to this hotel.
Advice: do not go there!!! Board Basis:All Inclusive Tour Operator:Olympic Holidays

1 Thank paula186225
#3 of 99 in Bodrum City
El Vino Hotel & Suites
El Vino Hotel & Suites
#1 of 99 in Bodrum City

Been to Hotel Ora Holiday Village? Share your experiences!