“Great Location! Disappointing Service...”

Salmakis Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 99 Hotels in Bodrum City
York, United Kingdom
“Great Location! Disappointing Service...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

First of all, I hadn't booked Salmakis as part of a package & it wasn't my first choice! I ended up there when another hotel I'd booked further up the coast had closed early for the season.
I arrived at around 01:00 early hours of the morning 15/10/13, as a solo traveller, and knew I was way too early for check-in, but I asked the young man on reception if it would be possible to pay a little extra to get into my room early. I wasn't expecting any freebies, just a bed for the night as per my booking.
The young man's name was Sonar & I'm afraid to say that he was obstructive & surly, I guess he probably didn't have a clue what to do with me! He & his colleague, Mucahit, then proceeded to serve other guests before having the courtesy to finish with my query, and when I did finally get their full attention, they were rude enough to speak only to each other in Turkish totally over my head & excluding me from the conversation. In short, I was told to find a seat in the reception area & wait there (all night!) until my scheduled check-in time. Instead, to kill time, I went for a walk around the hotel grounds and found an out-of-the-way area near the Spa with sofas; I lay down there & spent an uncomfortable night, not even being allowed to attend breakfast as I wasn't yet classed as a guest until check-in!
At 10:00 I headed back to reception to find a different gentleman, Umit, on the desk and was never more glad to find him pleasant, attentive & apologetic about the previous night's events. He checked my booking (for which I'd paid extra for a sea-view) and explained there were no sea-views available for another 2 days; I therefore had no choice but to accept a dark & dingy, garden view (more like a jungle!) just for the time being! I have to say that Umit was great! When I went back for my room change, he made sure I was transferred quickly & without fuss. Thank God for him! Finally, 2 days into my 1-week stay, I was able to begin my holiday in the lovely sea-view room I'd booked at the outset! I never saw Sonar again and can only assume the hotel put him on night shifts where his manner is least likely to be seen, being completely lacking in any kind of customer service.
My remaining 5 days at Salmakis were fine; my sea-view room was lovely, food was great (lots of choice) and the pool area was wonderful! But I'm afraid I found it difficult to get back on track after the initial disappointment of the first 2 days. The layout of the resort is all over the place, on so many different levels (I'd imagine children could get lost quite easily), and it's a health & safety disaster when it rains with slippery steps & slip hazards everywhere !!! they're simply not prepared for any kind of bad weather! Also, I tried to book a couple of tours but could never find any reps at the times they said they'd be there (maybe they, too, are only interested if you come as part of a package deal?)!!! Luckily, it was easy enough to get in to Bodrum Town via dolmus where I did manage to book myself onto a boat trip, and also onto the ferry over to Kos for a day which was beautiful and from which I didn't want to return to Salmakis!
On my last day, I asked another lovely reception chap, Seyhmus, if I could pay extra for a late check-out (as my flight wasn't until 21:40 that evening)... this was no problem at all! In conclusion, I have to ask, why I was able to pay for a late check-out, but not for an early check-in when I first arrived?! Confused.com!
I've travelled around Turkey quite a lot over the years and loved every minute of my time in all the other resorts I've visited. I know it's unfair to tie the entire Bodrum area with the same brush as my disappointing week at Salmakis (at the hands of one useless individual relegated to nightshifts!), but, honestly, I never want to feel so out-on-a-limb as I did at this place as a solo traveller, and it's highly unlikely that I'll ever return when there are other parts of this amazing country more deserving of my time, money & energy.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea-view room! I found the garden view rooms really dark & airless! It's worth p...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank TraceTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've been to better hotels in terms of food, coastline, and drinks (the alcoholic beverages here were under par, with little choice and they were not mixed properly) but there is a quaintness to this resort that I really liked. The grand resorts are in Kundu and Belek, not Bodrum, which only has a few, like Voyage, Rixos, and Karavanseray, so to be fair this hotel should not be compared to them. I also went off season, which meant no crowds, but poor food choices (lots of eggs, cheese and salad) since they probably werent ordering for a full house. Overall, I was happy with the tiny beach, which was rocky but clean. The room had a sea view but had average decor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Family of four have just returned from a week all inclusive stayed in Room 627. Great setting, very quiet, private beach, very easy access to Bodrum via regular water taxi, food was excellent with plenty of choice, drinks were plentiful, staff superb, kids loved the ice cream, steam room, sauna, Turkish bath, indoor pool, Jacuzzi, fitness suite were all superb and included in all inclusive. Yes there are steps but unless your very lazy and overweight (and we saw some) then they are not a problem. The room - use the showers in the Spa as they are much better, bed was rock solid and no privacy from the kids who slept in the lounge area but were very happy, small functional balcony with a distant sea view, plenty of towels, toiletries and room made up very well each day, free safe in room, free air con as well. Pool is very impressive looking, however it is 1.4m deep all the way round so no real area for children who can easily swim by have outgrown the baby pool. The water was bloody freezing, they had a digital display saying it was 18degrees, 1.8degrees more like...the sea was much warmer. There were plenty of sun beds (despite the Germans) and waiters regularly collected drinks and refreshed them. You can take glass round the pool and the beach...loads of smokers all over the place at meal times, round the pool so watch out where you sit. Wifi was very painful all week, poor in bedroom, good in communal areas but you had to keep logging in as it would regularly drop out and was only really good for email - it could not handle large downloads. Fresh OJ was not free but at only 5l a large glass it was worth having for breakfast. Snack bar by pool was very good for a light bite during the day. There were no evening ents or kids club at this time of year. Overall we had a great holiday with great weather in a superb setting. You MUST take a boat trip and use The Adorya it was simply excellent, private and not full of pissed up idiots and loud music. We chartered it just for the four of us for the day and it was simply magical. Take the water taxi across and the boat is moored about 20m to the right on where it lands. Lyn and Adil will give you a superb day.

Room Tip: Get one as close to the pool as possible
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Toys88
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Have you ever ordered anything on line, looked forward to it arriving & when it does it is sadly lacking in something?

Thats what it was like for me at the Salmakis.

I had booked a "Sea View" through "loveholidays.com" (no - never heard of them either!)
On arrival was told I had been allocated an economy room & was shown a "Garden Room" which was a gloomy cell like space, with a view of a half dead shrub.

After a long dispute with the gruff check in staff I as given another, brighter room but no Sea View, but told one would be available the next day.

It was, at the cost of an extra £80 .....

I discovered that my expectations were only a "Request" -
(I wonder If anyones request for a sea view is actually given one? I suspect not & is an excuse to extract more money)

Anyway, nice room, great firm mattress, lovely view.

The hotel "looks" great. However the architect spent more time creating huge, wasteful public spaces that are rarely used than designing useful community areas.

Why there is a cheap photographic print of "Boat in the Sunset" as a headboard in every room? It looks like a budget travel agent!

Lots of steps - not enough lifts. No Wi-Fi in my room

The pool is lovely

My main complaint is the canteen (sorry, restaurant) It is in two parts, roughly the same size. One out door terrace & one indoors.
(please do something about the lighting - It had the feel of a care home)
After the third day the heavens opened & it turned unseasonably cold, understandably, everyone wanted a table inside.

At mealtimes It is a complete chaos, total disorder. There was a fight for a table, fight for food, fight for coffee.
There are plenty public spaces in the hotel to feed the residents - Its a big hotel

The canteen waiters only bring you drinks (eventually) & clear plates (too quickly).
The Canteen manager stands about smiling & doing nothing.

On three consecutive nights, after a 20 minute wait for a table I was seated & (eventually) given a drink.
I then went to the buffet to get my soup came back to find my table had been reallocated to a couple.

Another hunt for a table, ate my soup, went to the buffet to get my starter came back to find my table had been reallocated to an other couple.

Another hunt for a table, ate my starter, went to the buffet to get my main course came back to find my table had been reallocated to yet an other couple.

After the third night of this I trekked to the reception & demanded to see the hotel manager Mr Osman (he never got back to me the entire 10 days.
No main manager - but saw to Mr Mahmet Uaca the Duty manager. Pleasant but completely ineffectual.

He took me down to the canteen & had a word with the canteen manager. All smiles & an apology " this wont happen again"
As it was my last night - it wouldn't!

The Food: - "looked" well presented, salads were good, similar every night, but good. The hot food was not.
If I ever see another tepid meatball or lump of turkey again it will be too soon.
When you opened the swing lidded containers you were treated to a view of something that looked & smelt like music festival mush.

The Bar:- Pleasant staff, Great G&T's, OK but dull Effes lager, Wine acidic & undrinkable, Cocktails tasted like they were made from an "knorr" packet -
so, even though it wasn't included in the "All Inclusive" I thought Id have a Bloody Mary at 18 Turkish Lira - No tomato juice, no worcestershire sauce & no tabasco -
at any of the three bars! I had to go out & buy my own .....

The Entertainment:- What is an "Animation Team:? and what do they do? - nothing it seems at the Salmakis ....
The first night there was a contortionist who got in & out of a tennis racket!!! then Leonard Cohen's elderly Turkish uncle.
Next night traditional Turkish music that went on & on (& on)
Then a band playing old standards ( even managed to hit two correct notes all night!
Then - Nothing ...... I know its late in the season but the other hotels next door managed to have some sort of entertainment every night.
(I actually saw other hotel residents laughing & enjoying themselves, sadly, not here)
I wasn't expecting Barbra Streisand with Joni Mitchell & Stevie Nicks as backing - But surely the could have found someone not sponsored by Gillette.

The main problem is the management - they simply have not been trained to manage. No customer service.

Instead of the usual "Cheap & Grim" places I can usually afford, I saved & treated myself to what I thought would be a nicer hotel for a bit of pampering.
As a solo traveler you are often Invisible to hotel staff but i've never been completely ignored before.

This was quite expensive holiday for me as Im on a limited budget. If I could of afforded it I would have eaten out every night or better still moved hotel.
As a full time carer in need of a break I am glad to be back home.

The best bits were the cats & the water taxi in to Bodrum.
Never again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MrFishwick
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our first visit to Turkey and we shall definitely be returning. We booked a quiet room with a sea view and it is well worth paying extra. Our room was kept spotless.The staff are so friendly and helpful no matter which part of the hotel you are in and their service is second to none. An example of this was when we returned late from a full day trip to Pamukkale (a long day but well worth going to see the Roman ruins and the hot springs) and the restaurant was closing.They made sure that we were given a hot meal and drinks. All meals were varied with plenty of choice, we particularly liked the cards near the food telling you what was on offer. The sweets are amazing and presentation is very good. Our waiters were always attentive and couldn't do enough for us to make sure we had an enjoyable stay. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were made to feel special. We would like to thank everyone at Salmakis for making it a wonderful holiday for us.

Room Tip: Choose a quiet sea view room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dreamboatYorkshire
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ended up here with the 2 friends we went with and came back with many more. We had been to Marmaris twice and that was great but here was Fantastic, from the first moment we booked in to the sad day when we left. Situated on a hill the rooms either faced the bay or had there own garden in front of them, we were in 208 and totally enjoyed the views, both during the day and night. Breakfast, lunch and dinner and any other meals you could fit in were great, a choice of something for every diet big or small any problems just ask a CHEF, yes every one seemed to be a chef and working out just who was in-charge got to be good fun, a great bunch though only task was to ensure we had a great time and wanted for nothing, whilst the cleaners kept the resort immaculate and the rooms in a better state than we did. This year was special as we celebrated our 30th anniversary and our friends their 25th so we chose to book the al a carte fish restaurant and very glad we did ,we had a fantastic meal and service from everyone involved from the booking to finishing off the last drop of brandy(even if I did have to explain to the wife how the events were organised).I could go on for days (yes all 10 ) as it will remain as one of the best holidays we have had from seeing the photo in the brochure, checking on line with the reviews and admiring the rather accurate photographs on web pages and advisor's to arriving back rather depressed at leaving. Would we go back again? what do you think!
THANK YOU SALMAKIS for a great 2013 vacation . Steve & Ange.

Room Tip: 208,neither up nor down just right if worse for wear at night and for a fantastic view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen B
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I would say that the best thing about this hotel is the location and the facilities. The food is really horrible. The staff is not that helpful and are kind of snobbish. The spa is really nice and luxurious especially the Turkish bath is a must there.

Room Tip: It's better to get a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends