“5 star hotel and facilities with 3 star service!”
Review of Ersan Resort & Spa

Ersan Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 97 Hotels in Bodrum City
Wigan
“5 star hotel and facilities with 3 star service!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I work in the travel industry but this was a family holiday, nothing to do with work and I have no business attachment to this hotel at all. I will give an honest review as possible, comparing with my knowledge of 5 star hotels. stayed 09/04/12 till 16/04/12 with 2 adults 1 - 13 year old and 1 - 3 year old.

OK. to start I would like to take out of the hotel all guests and staff and just look at the grounds, facilities, rooms and hotel itself. If taking a walk around without all these I would see fantastic 5 star accommodation, the Lobby/reception area is not as grand and fancy as most 5 star, but was grand in its own way, it was large, modern, minimilistic, clean and tidy and boasted huge fish tanks in the middle with fish such as huge catfish, piranhas etc....., Our room which was a standard family room, was more than enough for our needs space wise and was clean and modern. As you go through the door you are firstly in the children's bedroom, this was with two single beds, 1 on either side of the room with a small chest of drawers in the middle. you then have a small corridor, on one side is sliding door wardrobes with enough space for four people's clothes however, only 5 hangers. the bathroom was to the left of the corridor, it was a nice modern clean bathroom if only a little small and only enough room for 1 to get ready at any 1 time! There was also no bath, at first I thought that this would be a problem with my 3 year old but the shower had 2 parts, one over head rain style shower and a separate hand held, you could have these on at the same time and the pressure was fine. my daughter found it a novelty to hold her shower and wash herself so no problem. The hairdryer was as good as any I have had before and we had the usual complementary toiletries...soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion...if any were used it got replenished. as did our 4 bottles of water every day. our room was cleaned and towels replaced everyday also.
At the end of the corridor was our room with a Queen size bed we were very happy with, My partner found the bed a little hard but I loved it. (you can never please everyone in this category....) There was a dressing table opposite the bed with a big drawer and 2 bedside cabinets both with 2 drawers so we managed to keep the room quite tidy. You then had virtually the entire wall sliding doors onto the balcony, this was big enough for all of us to sit on and had the sun all day, we were made up with the location of our room and balcony as we were directly looking onto the children pool and pirates ship and all of the aqua-park slides which had our children squealing with delight! behind our room was the disney club and a children's play park with everything you can think of, see-saw, slide, swings etc....
The room had a fridge and a mini bar menu/price-list but was empty!
The biggest let down of the room which I was otherwise very happy with was no iron and as people have mentioned in their reviews, no tea and coffee facilities in the room. I find this quite unacceptable for a 5 star hotel, even if i had to take my own t bags etc... I would have loved nothing more than sitting on my balcony in the morning watching the sun come up drinking a coffee before getting ready to go for breakfast. the only way to do this was to walk over to reception and get your own coffee from a machine and carry it back to your room trying not to spill it on the way! We did this once... then decided it was easier just to get up and go for breakfast!
Next the pool area, we did take a look at all the pools and thought they were very good, clean and safe, did not see any problems with the decking like other people had mentioned, in fact I could see the purpose of them, as the children (and adults.... even me!) were all running around wild wanting to fit as many slide runs in their day as possible and the wooden decking was no where near as slippy as a tiled floor would have been and in my view minimizing any accidents. We had no problem on any day getting beds around a pool although if you have toddlers and want to be right on the little pool you need to go early!
The beach is man made and I had no big expectations in this area, I was not disappointed with it and it also did not over excite me, probably because it did not over excite the children. It was just some patches of gravely sand walled in and surrounded by the same decking used by the pools, this looked nice but was a little more weathered than the decking around the pool and maybe where people were getting the splinters from as stated in some reviews. It would be more well suited for couples as this area was less child populated and was much more serine, the sea also looked lovely and i would have loved to have a swim but never got around to it. Also being in a bay it had amazing views. The beach side bar was also the best place to get a coffee and watch the sun set over the mountains and the staff there were very good. There is a little shopping centre this is just a hand full of shops, nothing much. the a la carte restaurants all look nice and clean and located in a way you are overlooking the sea with the amazing views. But the one occasion we did go to the Mexican restaurant it was open air and it was so cold we could not enjoy it and quickly ate and left. The buffet restaurant is fine, modern, clean has ample tables if the rest of the complex were open, something i will come onto later! There is an outdoor area of the buffet restaurant. The quality, freshness and quantity of the food was amazing, the salad bars were better than I had before and I stress on plural, there were 6 sides of salad bars, I counted 15 different types of salad leaves and everything else you could ever want and wish for. there was a diet area which had poached meats and boiled veg and rice. vegetarian options and a hot food area, though the salad chef I think I will give a 5 star the hot food area must have been run by a 4 star chef as there was not as much option and the presentation was not so good and some food not cooked, hard sprouts, carrots, 1 piece of chicken not cooked but as soon as we told them the manager apologized and the head chef came out and took over on cooking the chicken. There is also a snack bar open from 11:30 till 7:30 which pleased our 13 year old.
Ok I will move on to the staff. We arrived at 3 in the morning with a 3 year old fast asleep and a very tired 13 year old, another 2 coaches turned up at the same time, there was only one member of staff checking us in we were last in the Que after finding a sofa to lie my daughter on, it was taking so long instead of photo copying passports he was sealing them in envelopes and putting them in the hotel safe, it took 1hr 35 minutes to check in we did wait an extra 10 minutes for assistance to our room.
The first day there we had buffet for breakfast and upon sitting we were poured water and asked if we would like coffee or tea, this was the one and only time we were asked in our week stay, for lunch and evening meal it seemed a lot busier we searched for a table and had to wait just a couple of minutes for it to be cleared and re set, we did not even bother asking for drinks it was plain obvious there were not enough staff to serve they were barely keeping up with clearing and re setting tables, we had to que for drinks at a hatch style bar and que for coffee at a machine that frequently ran out of cups, then que for juice which also always ran out of glasses. the red wine was not drinkable the rose was ok, did not try white wine. they did not include whiskey, any type of rum and had no tomato juice, so my first choice of wine was a no go, my second choice, bloody mary a no, my third of bacardi and coke a no, my partner drinks whiskey that was a no, so we drank beer for the whole week. the only drinks all in was red/white/rose wine, gin, vodka and beer. And they were hard to come by because of firstly the ques and secondly the bars consistently running out of glasses. We realized half way through the week the best thing was to get a beer from the hatch bar at evening meal and hold on to it for deer life throughout the night. soft drinks all in were sprite, cola and juice which tasted of cordial without water in it and I used it this way for my daughter, full glass water and little juice. I would say the all in drinks were no more that 3 star quality, the only good service from a bar was the bar on the beach, I wish I had gotten the waiters name.
Although extremely understaffed there was always cleaning going on and the polystyrene containers from the snack bar that people left around were very quickly cleared away or spilt drinks cleaned.
I will stress though all in all we had a good holiday, you have to remember this is an aqua park, its main entertainment is the aqua park and if you go out of season as we did and the weather does not hold up which is a good possibility in April you have to be prepared that there is no other entertainment, on these days it reminded me of a scene from the living dead, people just wandering round aimlessly looking for something to entertain them, pouring to the lobby for the free wifi with their laptops, ipads, smart phones, it got that jam packed and dangerous as kids were playing football in there with people getting hit with balls whilst having hot drinks in there hands that they kept switching off the wifi and the coffee machine to try and empty it a bit. When it wasn't so jam packed and the weather was not good the bar man from the beach bar came into the lobby and waited on people with coffee, it was the only other time we got waited on, again I wish I got his name. obviously everyone was expecting to be entertained in the bad weather and this was not going to happen, especially out of season, their season starts 1st May this is when they will take on most staff, open all restaurants and disco's and have the night time entertainment shows in ampitheatre. The animation team worked very hard at entertaining the children, if you have children between age 3 to 11 they will love it! At the end of the day they are a business and if people want to book out of season, knowing it is out of season they are going to take your money. Unfortunately they were not equipped enough for the amount of people they did take in in April and this needs to be addressed as this is where they are getting most of their bad reviews.
Also some people don't get to grips with the tipping culture of being on holiday! This is an all inclusive hotel but showing your appreciation to a waiter even if just a lira or 2, this goes a long way, he will remember you, your family, engage conversation whilst waiting on you, show you pictures of his family and you will have a different experience. Showing appreciation instead of just shouting at the bad things means a lot to someone waiting on you!!
I believe the Ersan experience will be very different in season when all the al a carte restaurants are open and the buffet is not so jam packed and you don't have to rush your meal etc... the weather is better and the hotel is fully staffed.
I will not say I would never come back here again, just I would never come here out of season again! This hotel has the facilities and potential to be a 5 star hotel but the staffing problem in April, the quality and sometimes absence of drinks and room tea and coffee facilities let it down big time for me as well as the cramped rushed meal times and lack of any type of service at your table made it impossible to tip as there was no one to tip. For me if they put these things right it would be tip top!
But a holiday is also what you make it and we had a fab time, when My children are happy I am happy and they were! very much so!

Room Tip: I did not have a room choice pre booked but if I did go to this hotel again I would request the room...
1 Thank cassiepotter
Ersan R, Guest Relations Manager at Ersan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your comments.

It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with your family.

All hotels have a fact sheet.Which contains details about Free and chargeable services which has been decided by the management.About the coffee-tea sevices, iron(About iron ; that is the important part of my explanation; iron is an electronic tool , using in the room(on the bed,on the floor etc. ) may cause a dangerous situation.As hotel management we can not take the responsibility .We wait for your understanding.Just we have a rechargeable laundry service in our resort.

We never had such kinds of problems with our buffet in high season because we have 4 a la carte restaurants(just the drinks are extra charged.)

We regret to learn of the inconvenience .For the service , in all inclusive hotels in general it is self service.Just the hotel management wanted the waiters to serve the drinks to the tables just for the satisfaction of the guests.

We hope to welcome you again in our resort...

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doncaster
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Just come back from here yesterday. Ok, we can all find something to moan about, however, let's get real. For the price paid, flights and 7 nights all inclusive, this is great value for money. The staff are great, especially the guest relations who made our sons birthday a real treat, they were fabulous. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are pretty good and yes, this is not a five star uk hotel experience, and neither is the cost! The location is spot on, fabulous views of the coast line, brill water sports, tennis etc. The evening entertainment is not that good if you are use to Senseatori standards but there is a bus just outside the hotel, always waiting to take you to bodrum town for a pound. The food is a little repetitive, however, this is the norm for this type of deal, we ate out a couple of times to mix it up a little. Don't read too much into the complaints, unless you want a full five star experience, and in which case get your hands in your pocket and add another grand to the cost. You want be disappointed, go and enjoy the resort.

1 Thank Ne-I-LDoncaster
Thank you so much for sharing your comments.

It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay.

We always try to keep the high level of standarts for our guests.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

Thank you again for your post.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed betweeen 8 - 15 April when the hotel was under stress (see recent reviews) and the hotel management 'buckled' under the pressure, leaving reception and the restaurant/bar staff to take considerable amounts of incoming fire.
On the plus side, very friendly and kind staff, excellent children's facilities, lovely 'beach'/sea swimming area, good pools, exciting waterslides and a surprisingly good cold buffet selection in main restaurant. Excellent outside bar with attentive and hard-working staff. Family rooms were well maintained and ours was regularly cleaned. General grounds of hotel were clean and tidy. Water quality in sea was good with excellent visibility and a safe swimming area, cordoned off from jetskis etc. 'Guest relations' staff very efficient and hard-working - best to use them instead of reception. Free wifi in lobby area. On-site medical facility run by efficient Turkish male paramedic, backed up by advice from Irish doctor based at main clinic in Bodrum. Very good spa facility and gym with Balinese staff - excellent massages etc.
Now the downside! Several nights of interrupted sleep from groups of noisy teenagers (possibly students) with rooms in the 'family' rooms area...banging of doors, drunken shouting and vandalism. No campsite or caravan park in Cornwall would be stupid enough to do this so why should I tolerate this in a decent hotel anywhere in the world? Several complaints made (by quite a few families) but a continual problem. Some pathways etc are poorly laid so there is a 'trip hazard', especially for children. A couple of the water slides had irregular seams (is that the right word?) so lots of children had grazes and cuts to backs and feet. Some mats did make an appearance by the last day but this was too late...recommend that you use these mats at all times! Main restaurant supplies decent food (but definitely not 5*!), given the industrial scale of the operation, but it's poorly laid out, leading to long queues and frustration. Better quality food than a Youth Hostel but pretty much served up on the same basis! Not everybody dines exclusively on chicken + chips/pasta (though I suppose, to be fair, a lot of British children do!) so more variety on the hot food selection would have been welcome. Restaurant couldn't cope with influx of guests so diners were kept waiting for tables...the staff were working hard but the logistics were snafu'd. Wine is (honestly) appalling quality and, as several people have mentioned, doled out in miserable quanities through a hatchway. Quick way to oblivion is to fuel up on G&T's as these come by the ½ pint tumbler! Staff could not cope with numbers of guests so, yet again, more queues. When the weather was poor and guests headed indoors, the one 'inside' bar collapsed under the pressure, not helped by the distinctly 'B' team staff on duty there. Constantly ran out of glasses and no ice with some jostling in the ...yes, you've guessed it...queue. I confirm the other comments about lack of coffee (awful stuff dispensed by machine at various points around the hotel) in the restaurants etc, Is it that hard to provide decent coffee? Didn't try the Mexican restaurant but had a grim meal in the Italian one...even the kids struggled to eat it. Thankfully, we'd been warned about the wine prices beforehand so avoided being stung for this. I've omitted a long list of minor wobbles as they are relatively incidental but you get the general idea. Just one more thing: if you're a keen walker, the hotel has shipyards on either side nearby (not a problem - no noise) but there is no other access to the coast or any footpaths that we could find. There's nowhere to escape to other than plodding down the road into Bodrum!
Overall: willing staff and good facilities but badly let down by poor organisation and attention to detail. If you take out the aquapark and spa, you're left with a "could do better" 4* hotel.
Transfer to hotel: cheap and very efficient transfer from Bodrum airport (approx 35 minutes drive) via resorthoppa.com - recommended.

1 Thank teamokeeffe
Thank you so much for sharing your comments

We regret to learn of the inconvenience .Please kindly note that as per our service standards, we are obliged to provide the best service at all times.So we gonna share these comments with our entire team.

Please be sure we have taken all the neccessary steps to ensure your holiday better.It was the beginnng of the season the rest were getting ready to open when it got busier. the staff tried their hardest to attend to your needs as you know.

Thanks again for your time and for your post.We hope to welcome you again...

London
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We did our research before booking this hotel and the feedback has generally been good until now! I am shocked and reassured by what I have just read before posting this review.
We also stayed over the Easter break from the 5th to the 12th April.
This was our first try at an all inclusive hotel and we weren't really sure what to expect. Our first impressions were all good, quite an impressive reception area and we found friendly staff.
In daylight the next day the resort and outlook were stunning and we fell in love with the infinity pool.
We ate A la Carte in their Italian for our first evening meal and this was OK- fairly 'international' Italian food- we accepted that drinks had to be paid for as we had been pre-warned, although £30+ for an average bottle of wine does seem steep.
Our second night in the buffet restaurant came as a huge shock! The only words that can describe it is 'school canteen'- the 'inclusive' wine and beer had to be collected from what amounted to the sort of service hatch you might find in a village hall- and only one small glass at a time- no chance for a bottle on your table to share as you would normally expect for an evening meal- the room was noisy and overcrowded and so there was no chance to sit and enjoy a meal as we would expect to do on holiday. It was a case of 'refueling' and out as quickly as possible which left a very long evening to kill! Another guest aptly described it as 'The Circus'
From then on my husband got up at 7.30 each morning to make sure we ate 'a la carte' for the rest of the week and we 'wore' the drinks bill.
One final story to add, is that whilst in the 'Tapas' restaurant one night there was a torrential downpour and so whilst we all dived for cover in the kitchen area the staff scuttled around in the rain and made sure they got us to sign for the drinks we had all had despite most people not having eaten, or with much chance of eating that night!
I would also like to add that whilst the beds were made and we had clean towels every day, the bins were rarely emptied in our room- which had we listened to the notice about not flushing paper down the toilet could have become a little smelly!!
Such a shame as the location is spectacular and we loved Bodrum town.

1 Thank Sarah W
Dear guest, thanks for your post.

Depends on the weather conditions hotel management have rights to change some parts of the concept.But we never close(cancel) the a la carte restaurant even if the weather conditions not okay.However, a couple of recent ones mention a few problems.

Be sure ,we share your review with our entire team.Hope to welcome you again in our resort.

sunbury
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Firstly, let me say the location of the hotel was fantastic. Apologies but it is all downhill from now.
Checking in took us the best part of 45 minutes but after the wait i was told my room is that way and was just pointed in a direction. Signage just was not present until you found your way half way up the hill, even then the sign to our room pointed in a different direction.
After finding our room, we were feeling a little hungry after a fairly long day travelling so deceided to go and check our late night options out being 'all-incl'. After walking around we found the only place serving food is the buffet area which serves two varieties of soup only and bread from 11pm til 11.30pm. After the soup we had a quick walk round to check out our new surroundings and then fancied a coffee before bed. We were sent from place to place before being sent to reception/ reception decking area and found the DIY coffee machine had been switched off (this was ten past midnight. We went off to reception to find out that everything is to be paid for after midnight. The 'night duty manager' reluctantly requested one of his staff to get 2 coffees'.
The next morning at breakfast we found that fresh orange juice would be charged for and that there would be no table service for tea or coffee (there could be quite a queue for coffee as at this point in 'Easter' we were told 850 guests were on site). This time consuming queueing makes your food go cold as it requires time to get everything you need together. Coffee is only available in the main buffet food hall at BREAKAST only. Lunchtime and evening meal the coffee machine is covered up obviously to get people to move on after they have eaten which is not nice as some people love a coffee after their meal. Also for drinks at lunchtime or with your evening meal you have to queue at a bar which can take from 5-10 minutes on average. Water neither is freely offered at the table as there is another machine for that. It's just not a 5 star service where things come to you and not for you so to speak to go hunting all the time.
At the in-house Mexican restaurant where i have to say the food was very nice even it though fairly rushed, the drinks including soft drinks were all to be paid for which we had no knowledge until the drinks menu was handed to us (bottle of red from £25-£50). To add to this if you want a drink after midnight at the bar above the Italian or the nightclub all of the drinks again are CHARGEABLE.
We had a fridge in the room that was not working and was given only 2 small bottles of water for the week that was 'Complementary'. Along with that no tea or coffee facilities were present in the room and it is at least a 5 minute walk to the main building to get a drink and the same back if you wanted it in your room.
There is no iron available in the room or from the hotel. Anything to be ironed is chargeable through guest relations. Our room was also not cleaned for 2 consecutive days.
Entertainment for adults - non existant. Everybody sitting around in the reception area desparately looking for something to do other than people watching or watching the fish go round and round the tank.
I made a comment to the 'night manager' about drinks being spilt everywhere in reception and the danger to kids and adults walking through and that they should be cleared up instead of being left. As the nearest bar is downstairs, drinks where being spilt quite regularly on the stairs and lobby area. The night managers comment to me was 'what do you want me to do teach people to walk upstairs with drinks' not quite what i was expecting.
I was told that the hotel is particularly busy over the 'Easter period' but that shouldn't be an excuse not to deliver a 5 star service they should take relevant measures to ensure a top quality service is delivered.
Reception was also mainly covered by staff of no understanding or very little of the English language
I have been lucky enough to go to many 5 star hotels and this gains 2 stars for location only even though the majority of the staff were polite and hard working. I found that you have to look for everything instead of things coming to you which is a 5 star service.

Room Tip: If you can get a 'superior room' as the space and view really help you pass time if it is ba...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rob s
Ersan R, Guest Relations Manager at Ersan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
thanks for your post.

It was never our intention to create such a unpleasant stay in our hotel. After your detailed mail, now we can pay attention to every necessary steps about unsatisfied parts of your vacation.
It was the beginnng of the season the rest were getting ready to open when it got busier. the staff tried their hardest to attend to your needs. Because, this way we are able to see where we went wrong. we have taken all the necessary steps to ensure that this will never happen again.

Thanks for your review again.We hope to see you again.

Barrowford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed at the Ersan resort fron 4/4/12 to 11/4/12. on arrival all ok, check in went ok, room acceptable so far so good. First meal was the evening meal in the buffet restaurant, absolutely no problem, found a table, waiter served the drinks. As for the food, it was fine - difficult to know what you were eating - hey, your on holiday. No probs getting a table for the first three nights - then the proverbial hit the fan! a bucket load of French holiday makers arrived on the Saturday, the restaurant went to pieces - literally. The restaurant could not cope, no tables, queues for the food, tables not cleared, certain foods ran out early, queue for your drinks - waiters stopped the service, obviously not enough of them.
Went to the Italian A la carte one night, food absolutely fine, excellent service, polite and friendly, ordered a bottle of wine --------- 75 tl (you're having a bubble) no joke - it was good, but not that good. OK so far are you keeping up, now the bar under the restaurant, staff tried hard but they had no glasses - they had plastic cups, paper cups, beers in different size glasses and not a lot of seats. Took the little one to the mini club - she loved it the staff were great.
So the adults wanted a drink - saunter on down to the bar, queue up for your drinks, then lug them back up 4 flights of stairs back to the mini club, then the wife said "were's my ice" oh bugger!
All in all it is a nice place, very nice, But I don't think we will go again.

Room Tip: higher rooms better
1 Thank bob s
Thank you so much for sharing your comments.

It was a pleasure to read your comments and to share it with our entire team.

It was never our intention to create such a unpleasant stay in our hotel.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again in our resort.

leicester
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My family and I recently booked a late holiday to the Ersan resort and Spa. We picked it as it was rated 8th in bodrum on tripadvisor at the time and good value. We were not sure what to expect when we got there but were pleasently surprised.
We arrived late at 930pm after the evening buffet and myself, my wife and 2 small children aged 3 and 6 were hungry. The kitchen staff were extremely helpful and provided some food which was so useful after the journey. The hotel does daily soup between 1030pm and 1130pm which is a great idea ive not seen in other resorts ive been too.
The staff in reception were nice a friendly. The family rooms we had booked were comfortable and well located near the restaurant and childrens pool (we had a view of the pool from the balcony) so this was very convienient. The rooms themsleves were great in that there was a seperate room with twin beds for the kids and an adjoining room seperated by the bathroom for me and my wife. This allowed the kids space to play which was great.
The food in the main restaurant was amazing and varied. There is a childrens buffet with chips and nuggets and a kids seating area which was brilliant for the kids. The food was all fresh and tasty. The salads especially the pickled salads, olives etc were amazing. There was always fresh grilled fish and a variety of meats. My wife being a dessert fan was well impressed with the variety of desserts especially the Baklava. My son has a nut allergy and it was great there was such variety for him. We were concerned by the usual storied of tummy upsets in Turkey but fortunately no one got ill which im sure is a relection of the quality of food preparation.
The visit coincided with my wife's birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary and the staff especially Remzi in Kitchen management & the customer relations staff who helped arrange a surprise cake & flowers were extremely helpful.
My wife had a massage and spa session early during the holiday and this set the tone for a relaxing week. The gym was well equipt and there is an indoor pool although it would have been good if the pool was heated.
Another excellent word about the animation team and the kids mini club who made every effort to keep us all entertained during the week and were essential to making this one amazing week. We all returned back to the UK well rested and relaxed. I would definitely recommend going to Ersan. It is very child friendly with excellent food and staff and we had a great time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodrum City
#4 of 97 in Bodrum City
Swissotel Resort Bodrum Beach
Swissotel Resort Bodrum Beach
#12 of 97 in Bodrum City

Been to Ersan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!