“Beyond my most relaxing dreams...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Gulec

Hotel Gulec
Ranked #26 of 99 Hotels in Bodrum City
Chatham, New Jersey
“Beyond my most relaxing dreams...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I can't say better things about this quaint and charming hotel, as well as for the town of Bodrum. The breakfasts were amazing and location was ideal. The staff recommended delicious restaurants and was geniunely helpful. The hotel was incredibly clean. I loved that the rooms didn't have TVs; I could truly disconnect and relax. It was the perfect retreat; very romantic and absolutely unforgettable. We actually traveled here in July of 2010 (I'm embarrased it took so long for me to write the review); but I still think about this hotel and the warm hospitality frequently and remember it as one of the most underrated and fantastic places I've ever been.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlexShay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

Small Hotel with a nice and cozy courtyard / garden in a quiet side street in Bodrum. Location is very good since it is only less than 100 m to the beach and 5 minutes by taxi to the Bus station.
Very basic but clean rooms. Mattresses are a bit hard and they will need to upgrade their paper thin towels.
Rates are very affordable and the front desk folks as well as the owners are really nice and helpful.

One related piece of advice, avoid the restaurants on the beachside. Most of them are overpriced and are a rip off. One can find much better options in other ares of the city.

Room Tip: avoid rooms in the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank charlie15
Hailey, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

We spent 3 days in this hotel. This small bed and breakfast has a delightful open courtyard enclosed-- with flowering trees, vines, a garden and patio area where they serve breakfast. It was a lovely respite after spending a wonderful but chaotic 6 days in Istanbul. The proprietor was a bit gruff but I was able to use the computer of one of the staff and left that person a good tip. The breakfast was simple but very good. Service was a bit slow but the lovely courtyard made that a non issue for me. It is located on a side street about 4 blocks from the ocean. Pretty easy walking distance to most everything you would want to see. The rooms are simple but very clean with a good shower and windows that open for a cool cross breeze and . I would definitely stay there again. Very reasonable rates.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank charlene m
kemalg, Manager at Hotel Gulec, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Charlene,
As you can remember, you lost your tickets. We really did our best to help you. We let you use our telephone to call the call center; free of charge. You also used the our laptop to solve the issue. You wanted to pay for those,and we said "nevermind". We just told you can leave a tip for the staff, if you’d like, of course.
Anyways, we appreciate for your kind compliments
hobart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

Hotel Gulec is in a great location. Rooms are simple and very clean. The man who runs the place speaks English very well but he's grumpy and pushy. When we arrived, he put us in the hotel across the street (which is a different hotel entirely) without any choice and charged us the same rate. At breakfast, which is in a very nice little courtyard, we struggled to get any service after the plates were put on our table, which was disappointing given the service we'd received elsewhere. We booked a room for one night a week after our first stay and then decided not to stay in Bodrum. We arrived to cancel our reservation and were not given back our deposit of 30 turkish lira. In fairness, the policy is no refund for cancellation less than 72 hours prior but we came by 60 hours before our reservation time and the manager was quite gruff and rude to us. Great location but not impressed with the manager, who is the person interacting with the public the most. In addition, we were only able to get wifi in the lobby and thus were subject to sitting under the gaze of the grumpy manager while online.

You can find better value for your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: You might want to check whether the manager is actually going to put you up in the hotel as we were...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ahellie
kemalg, Owner at Hotel Gulec, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Guest,
We showed you the rooms and you said “OK” For breakfast service, you had in our beautiful garden.You certainly booked once again after your departure, and came back. Why did you prefer our place again, then? For “sitting under the gaze... while online”, the wi-fi didn’t work,because of a problem with their laptop, the laptop could receive the signal at the lobby.In our opinion, the sole issue was the deposit. The amount of the deposit was the half price of nightly rate. How could we refund, later than the cancellation deadline? You say it was late. How come we keep our hotel against such cancellations. Those were the busiest days of the season for real.
Thank you for your comment, anyway.
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

It is an easy walk into the centre of Bodrum from this hotel and there is a taxi rank very close as well.The hotel is very quiet and, although the furnishing are very simple, everything was spotlessly clean and there was air con in our room. We slept really well every night. The hotel management are excellent and very helpful. It was lovely to eat breakfast in the green, shady garden. Breakfast was quite substantial, too! Very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SuzyOxfordshire
NorCal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed one night at Hotel Gulec on my way from Kusadasi to Kos, Greece and really wish I'd had a few more days to spend there!

The hotel is located less than five minutes from the waterfront and five minutes from the bus depot and has a lovely garden with plenty of places to sit and relax. The rooms are very, very basic, but clean and air conditioned. There are no TV's (not that you need one, go to the beach!) but the wifi internet is free and speedy and the A/C is heavenly.

The reception is extremely laid back. When I arrived, the owner showed up in swimmers to greet me.
I arranged a ticket for the ferry to Kos, Greece through the hotel owner and was very pleased with the ease of the whole process, and unlike other people I met on the way, I was not scammed over the price. The owner even arranged for a sandwich for me to take with me the next morning when I departed as I was leaving before the complimentary breakfast would be served.

Note: Walking to the ferry port is doable, but if it's hot out and you have a bit of luggage, or if you're traveling with children you'll definitely want a taxi. (It won't cost much.)

All in all, a great little haven at a fantastic price. If I'm ever in Bodrum again (and I hope to be, it's a great place for a holiday!) I will definitely stay at Hotel Gulec.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Christy W
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

An ideal location where the staff could not do more to ensure you have an enjoyable stay - a must for anyone wanting to stay over in central Bodrum for a night or two. We'll certainly be back

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family