“exaggerated amenities; staff can barely communicate in English”
Review of Apollon Hotel

Apollon Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Patara
“exaggerated amenities; staff can barely communicate in English”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I chose this hotel after reading its rave reviews on tripadvisor and booking.com; and also partly because I figured the amenities listed on booking.com would guarantee a certain level of quality: "24-hour front desk, satellite TV, minibar, breakfast in the room, free shuttle service". It was perhaps a bit naive of me to forget it's just 35 € a night, and that you get what you pay for.

When we arrived we were given a small room in the back with no TV or minibar. The room itself was quite nice, the bed comfortable, sheets clean, AC working (and free, no surchange) and a very nice bathroom. The room was next to a chicken yard, which was sometimes loud, but the crickets outside were even louder so we just got used to it. But where were the amenities listed on booking.com? I went and asked the owner/manager Yasser, who told me he was completely full so I had gotten the "bad" room. He offered to move us to a room with pool view the next day, but later those guests extended their stay so we never saw it. Apparently these rooms do have minibars and TVs. The owner was nice enough to offer us a discount on this basis. But when I tried asking where was the free beach shuttle described online, he didn't understand what I meant and after 10 minutes I just gave up and paid my own way there. (We discovered there is a very cheap 2 TL shuttle service nearby anyway.)

Although the hotel was a big disappointment after promising so much, we ended up enjoying ourselves in Patara so much that we stayed an extra day in our small room (3 nights total). Yasser really is a nice person, and tried to give us a nice stay, but at the end of the day I would not stay here again. It's simply impossible to communicate with anyone on the staff in English (and that's not just for exceptional circumstances: we had to learn from other townsfolk how to reach the beach).

Other things:
- Communication problems and false advertising aside, the value for 70 TL is great: we got far less for 70 TL elsewhere in Turkey.
- The hotel is a 2 minute walk from the village centre, so in a convenient but quiet location (assuming you're not next to the chicken coop, get a pool view room).
- The spa 1 minute away (practically on-site) was fantastic.

Room Tip: The best rooms have a pool view and are on the higher floors (less insect noise)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John9647

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Morden, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Loved this place. When I first arrived at 4am I thought "OMG, its so small and quiet". But in the motrning things got better. I went on my own and was made very welcome. I met alot of new friends staying in the hotel and in the village. In fact some of us went back a few more times. So friendly and couldnt do enough for you. The beach was amazing. The turkish bath in the german hotel is a must. The lazy frog with Byrom is a great base for fantastic food and hospitality. The villagers themselves were so welcoming every time we went back. Im sure they thought " omg its them lot again lol" You will not be disapointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Get the best at the same price of the rest. Unforgettable.

RELAXING QUALITY HOTEL
At the end of the main (the only) street of Patara village, this is the best and the newest hotel.
Look like a Europen 4 stars class hotel, with a huge and warm swimming pool. Nice garden with a snooker and an American bar.
Completely renewed wide room with clean bathroom with perfect shower (it is not easy to get all this in Patara).

GOOD FOOD
Turkish breakfast: fresh and delicious.
As a Restaurant is one of the best of Patara (and real value for money).

GOOD MANAGER
Yasher, the manager is perfect and can help you in everything.

In Patara you can get only worst bat the same price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beatmea
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed August 2, 2011

During our 35 day trip to Turkey, stopping at 14 hotels. Apollo Hotel - one of the most pleasant places, which recall with warmth and gratitude. A small family-run hotel - the best example of Turkish hospitality and service. Competent management, sincere attention to each client, the cleanliness of the rooms, free internet access. Delicious home cooking. Absolutely reasonable prices for accommodation. Not everywhere, unfortunately, can be found today in Turkey, such an attitude to travelers. Thank you very much!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank fajnafajna
buzzingkaz
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Alot of tour operators rarely advertise this hotel due to decline apparantly.
Truely a memorable holiday this was, everything from the scorching hot weather in the 40's to the fanstastic authentic dishes and from the relaxing stunning Patara beach to the amazing and friendly locals.
A holiday to cherish and remember forever.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank buzzingkaz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2005

I got into the resort at about 4.30am tired.I looked and thought oh no.I went on my own.Got woke by a cockrel then the mosque.Ah well what the hell,it turned out to be the best holiday i have ever had.Alf and Hava were brilliant.we had such a laugh.The staff were nice too.I made some good friends.The locals were friendly.if you are young and want night life dont bother.If you want a good holiday,relaxing,traditional but good night life without the louts then yes this is for you.The beach is fantastic.The lazy frog restaurant and bread and water restaurant are great but they all are.Go to the gypsy bar ask for ibo and ali say julieanne recomended them.They will if you ask do turkish dancing and ibo sings.This was sucha good holiday I went back sept oct 05 and I am planning to go back july 06.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Worcestershire UK
Reviewed October 5, 2005

I stayed at the Marinem Resort Hotel 2 years ago and returned to Patara to stay at the Apollon end Sept/Oct (last week). It is, what is advertised, a medium low rise, family run hotel which is spotlessly clean and very convenient for the village. Alf and Hava are very helpful and work very hard but have to make a living! Breakfast is now set on a plate, not eat as much as you can because some abused the system. I ate well for £6 (steak, salad,rice,chips & bread and a beer.)Freshly cooked to order. Twice the price in the village.
Patara is a national park and protected archaeogical site. There has been no development in the village for 15 years BUT that is why people who dislike wall to wall, high rise hotels and sunbeds return year after year.
Last week I walked for over an hour along the fantastic beach and only saw one other person. Heaven to me but for some?
Do your homework before you book.

• Stayed September 2005