“Overpriced, ok food, not worth the trip”
Review of Kalbur

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I gave two star based on the value. The food itself I think was a 3 star. On the upside, the food is prepared Turkish style which is a unique experience. But they tasted to me just ok but nothing exceptional. We didn’t order much since the choice was limited. The cost was about 60TL per person which is on the high end in Ankara. The price for a single item is comparable to some fancier Kebap restaurants, but the portion here is small. By the way, Kalbur is hard to find. It is located in the first floor of a building that off the road with nothing around it. It The restaurant is on a small setting, looks like just to serve the neighborhood. The taxi driver had to ask several people before got there. I guess if it had not been ranked in tripadvisor, it has no chance to be found by tourists. While I was there and on my way out, I saw several groups of English-speaking customers. I can’t stop wondering if they were follow TAers . :) It cost us 40TL taxi from Roman Bath Ruin to Kalbur. So between two of us, the cost of taxi and meal was about 200TL, which made it the most expensive meal we had in Turkey. Neither to say the food was not that impressive.Of course, this cost is not bad in the US. But in Ankara, Turkey, you can easily find a decent meal at half of the cost or less in Downtown area and save the trip

1  Thank travellikethewind

Reviewed April 12, 2012

The best ish restaurant in Ankara,you eat the tails of the fish also.calamary and other things are perfect

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is a unique sea food restaurant at Oran, Ankara, Turkey. It is a small family restaurant. Menu is unusual.. You can eat fish pastrami or shrimp with kadaif!.. They have nice vine collection. All mesas are delicious. Fish is so good. Price? inexpensive... 30-40 USD/person including drinks

Reviewed February 12, 2012

This restaurant serves the best fish and seafood dishes I have ever had anywhere. The atmosphere is basic, the place is small and cramped in a non-descript strip shopping area. Despite that, It is always convivial and happy because of the food. The owner and family oversee everything and make sure it is perfect.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I have been a regular customer of Kalbur for years, and quite often take friends who visit me out of town to Kalbur when I want to prove to them that we have better seafood than Izmir or Istanbul. However, you dont go to Kalbur to eat fish, you go there to eat what Mehmet bey provides you. Just let him handle the hard work, and enjoy your dinner. This is the restaurant for those that want a different type of seafood. Just go for the appetizers and you will be delighted with the results.
Kalbur does not have the best atmosphere, and Mehmet bey (the owner) should do a better job of serving his customers, but I go there for the food, and nothing but the food. It is the most unusual seafood one can experience. Dont forget the desert afterwards, you will be surprised.