“Recommend if you need to be close to train station”
Review of Hotel Mithat

Hotel Mithat
Ranked #97 of 175 Hotels in Ankara
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Recommend if you need to be close to train station”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I would give this hotel 3.5 stars.

Based on the reviews I read, I was starting to dread my options in Ankara. We were staying one night and catching a train. This hotel, which is maybe 5 minutes walk from Genclik Park and 15-20 to the train station, was a good choice for us.

PROS:

1. Breakfast included - it comes pre-packaged but it was decent.
2. Staff was very helpful and friendly.
3. Cost was reasonable - we were only staying one night.
4. Our room, on the 4th floor, was quiet and very clean. Amenities were provided (soap, shampoo, etc.)
5. Location was good- close to the park, the subway, and you can walk through the park to the train station.
6. Wifi included.

CONS
1. Other than its proximity to the train station, the location wasn't particularly great, but there was a grocery store nearby and a few restaurants.

The place has an old feel to it, but it wasn't drabby or dreary as others had said.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EthanandJocelyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Western Norway, Norway
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our taxi had some problems to find the hotel, but it should be easy to find since it is close to the Genclik Park and the Opera.

Friendly staff - large room - OK bathroom - very clean room on 4th floor - window view towards the park. OK priced.

Location excellent - walking distance to the Ethno-museum and the Citadel with the museum of Anatolian Civilisations.
5 mins walk to Genciler Park with restaurants, lake and light & music fountains show every night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Easy to find and perfectly placed for the Citadel, the park and the Metro. Comfortable room and pleasant staff. Very good value. (NB. This is in the old part of the city - finding a bar may be difficult!) However, the metro is 5 mins away and its a short journey to other parts of the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank madrambler
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is very clean, room did not smell like cigarettes at all, we had a great view of Ankara, breakfast was decent (but NOT buffet), cheap, comfortable, polite and helpful staff - best of all, it was walking distance to all major tourist attractions in Old Ankara including the local bazaar. We liked busy city street right outside, but it can be a bit overwhelming for some. On the down side, TV was small and old, bathroom was TINY, toilet is almost under the shower.

Overall, if you're looking for a simple budget accommodation near old Ankara, this is definitely the one to pick!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sasha M
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Based on our flying visit, Ankara is an odd place. Taxi drivers think it's too much trouble to take customers anywhere... Hotel receptionists can't be bothered to give information to their guests... Polish tv was on in the breakfast room...
Otel Mithat is a clean but dreary place. The adequate breakfast comes on a tray accompanied by a limp, pre-packaged bread roll (in a country bursting with so many fresh and fantastic varieties of bread!). Service was unenthusiastic and at times lacked basic courtesy. Our triple room was very cramped.
The location is fairly convenient for the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations and the 'castle'. It's walkable from the railway station, just about - but do not attempt this in torrential rain, as it's further than it looks on the map...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Loui54
Sighetu Marmatiei, Romania
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had the worst possible experience while staying at this hotel. First of all, when I made the booking, they charged my credit card for all the 3 nights I was going to spend there. When I checked in, the guy at the reception was very arrogant and unfriendly. The room was small and smelled of stale smoke - even my suitcase smelled of stale smoke when I got home from my trip. Before going out, I opened all the windows and the door to the balcony, so fresh air could come in; however on my return in the evening, the room still smelled horrible. The bathroom is just a little bit bigger than the size of a shower cabin. There is no bathtub or shower curtain whatsoever so when you take a shower there is water everywhere, you can virtually swim in the bathroom. Although situated close to the centre, the neighboring area is like a market for selling cell-phone and tobacco, is very dirty and seems unsafe at night. Other hotels in the area appear to serve as brothels. The WiFi stops working in the evening (happened to me on both days I stayed there) and starts working again only late in the night. But the cherry on top of the cake was when one of my best friends from Turkey wanted to come up to my room. He was not allowed to come up. I asked for an explanation, but the older guy at the reception became extremely rude and was not even answering my questions. He even pretended he did not understand me ("No understand. Little speak English."), although before this incident he had no problem understanding me or speaking English. I have stayed in several hotels in Turkey and throughout Europe and it NEVER was a problem to receive guests in my room. I asked to speak to the hotel manager, because that's not the way they should treat their guests. I mean I was not staying there for free, I payed for the hotel so I have some rights. I expected to be treated with respect. He told me the manager was not there and I should come later. I returned a couple of hours later and the manager was still not there. The receptionist told me I should come again at 5 o'clock. I came AGAIN and the answer was "Manager not here. Maybe tomorrow". I suppose the receptionist did not even bother to let the manager know I wanted to speak to him. I told him if the manager was not there tomorrow morning, I would call the Police and the Romanian Embassy, because I was not going to spend another night there and wanted my money back, so I could book another hotel for my last day in Turkey. Shortly after that I received a phone call to my room from the manager and he agreed to reimburse me. So I booked another hotel (a night there cost me just 5 euro more that at Mithat hotel), but you really cannot compare it. The room was a lot nicer, bigger, a lot cleaner, more modern and the staff is very cheerful and helpful, willing to go an extra yard to help their guests. When I checked out, one of the guys at the reception drove me to a good baklava shop nearby to do some final shopping, then to the bus station to catch the bus to the airport. I really appreciate that, especially since it was for free.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Ankara hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My one night at this hotel was great! Walking in the lobby was like a flashback in time, the charm was unique. The room was super clean, comfortable bedding and good A/C although the shower was not self contained showering in the middle of the bathroom it was ok- Service was attentive and breakfast was included and perfect. Really can't ask for more at such a great price! There is a park right down the street a great perk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple