“Very unfriendly staff, horrible experience!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mithat

Hotel Mithat
Ranked #96 of 174 Hotels in Ankara
Sighetu Marmatiei, Romania
“Very unfriendly staff, horrible experience!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had the worst possible experience while staying at this hotel. First of all, when I made the booking, they charged my credit card for all the 3 nights I was going to spend there. When I checked in, the guy at the reception was very arrogant and unfriendly. The room was small and smelled of stale smoke - even my suitcase smelled of stale smoke when I got home from my trip. Before going out, I opened all the windows and the door to the balcony, so fresh air could come in; however on my return in the evening, the room still smelled horrible. The bathroom is just a little bit bigger than the size of a shower cabin. There is no bathtub or shower curtain whatsoever so when you take a shower there is water everywhere, you can virtually swim in the bathroom. Although situated close to the centre, the neighboring area is like a market for selling cell-phone and tobacco, is very dirty and seems unsafe at night. Other hotels in the area appear to serve as brothels. The WiFi stops working in the evening (happened to me on both days I stayed there) and starts working again only late in the night. But the cherry on top of the cake was when one of my best friends from Turkey wanted to come up to my room. He was not allowed to come up. I asked for an explanation, but the older guy at the reception became extremely rude and was not even answering my questions. He even pretended he did not understand me ("No understand. Little speak English."), although before this incident he had no problem understanding me or speaking English. I have stayed in several hotels in Turkey and throughout Europe and it NEVER was a problem to receive guests in my room. I asked to speak to the hotel manager, because that's not the way they should treat their guests. I mean I was not staying there for free, I payed for the hotel so I have some rights. I expected to be treated with respect. He told me the manager was not there and I should come later. I returned a couple of hours later and the manager was still not there. The receptionist told me I should come again at 5 o'clock. I came AGAIN and the answer was "Manager not here. Maybe tomorrow". I suppose the receptionist did not even bother to let the manager know I wanted to speak to him. I told him if the manager was not there tomorrow morning, I would call the Police and the Romanian Embassy, because I was not going to spend another night there and wanted my money back, so I could book another hotel for my last day in Turkey. Shortly after that I received a phone call to my room from the manager and he agreed to reimburse me. So I booked another hotel (a night there cost me just 5 euro more that at Mithat hotel), but you really cannot compare it. The room was a lot nicer, bigger, a lot cleaner, more modern and the staff is very cheerful and helpful, willing to go an extra yard to help their guests. When I checked out, one of the guys at the reception drove me to a good baklava shop nearby to do some final shopping, then to the bus station to catch the bus to the airport. I really appreciate that, especially since it was for free.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My one night at this hotel was great! Walking in the lobby was like a flashback in time, the charm was unique. The room was super clean, comfortable bedding and good A/C although the shower was not self contained showering in the middle of the bathroom it was ok- Service was attentive and breakfast was included and perfect. Really can't ask for more at such a great price! There is a park right down the street a great perk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed there for two nights with my business partner it was very good in value of price 160 Liras for two nights for economic double room, very neat and clean bedsheets, good wifi internet connection, cleaned bathrooms with clean towels, shampoo and soap daily changed.

Good location very near to the main road and a Big amusement park Genchlik Park, very friendly and helpful receptionist, but people in Ankara does not speak English at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I decided to book this hotel after comparing prices and reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel offers great value for money.
The room and bathroom were very clean and the beds comfortable. The only negative aspect was that the free wifi signal was a bit weak in our room as there is only one router per floor.
Breakfast consisted of some cheese, bread, sausage, olives, tomato, cucumber, jam, and tea or coffee.
The location is just north of the centre and it's close to buses and the metro. A supermarket selling necessities can also be found nearby.
Last but not least, the reception staff were very polite and helpful!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good value for staying in the heart of city. Sleeping was comfortable...Cheap, clean, full quality breakfast...room was ok for 1 or 2 person..No luxurious but efficient hotel. I recommend it..Bus stop 100m, metro station 400m away from hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Good: Big rooms, big comfortable beds, everything clean and welcoming.

Bad: The location is great for visiting the castle, the museum of Anatolian civilizations, and the big amusement park nearby, but it gets a little creepy at night. Not unsafe though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple