“A "3" with Reservations”
Review of Atalay Hotel

Atalay Hotel
Ranked #108 of 178 Hotels in Ankara
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We recently stayed in the Atalay Hotel, Ankara, Turkey (2 nights in February 2013) and I would say that, overall, the hotel is in serious need of an update (hence my 3 with reservations). While the room was non-smoking, as we requested, the hallways and a number of the common areas were pretty foul smelling with old cigarette smoke.

We knew we were booking a cheaper hotel so we were not disappointed by some aspects of the hotel, including its decor and age. The room was clean but one had the feeling that it was more cosmetic than real and hence we experienced a certain level of uncomfortableness with same, ie I never walked on the carpet without some kind of footwear! The air condition never worked and we had to keep the window open for much of the time in order to keep the heat under control.

I do not want to position this review as unduly negative, however. The staff were friendly and tried their best to assist. Assistance in English was almost non-existent but enough was spoken so that we could manage (BTW: The lack of English in my opinion adds to the experience rather than detracting from same. I note it here because many people factor this in when considering where to stay). The breakfast buffet was passable although not particularly engaging. The fitness centre was abysmal except that one could do their laundry while working out since it was the same room. The wireless worked fine.

The BEST thing about this hotel is its location in the Old City of Ankara. My wife and I found it to be very close to everything we wanted to see including the Ankara Citadel, ruins of old Roman baths, historic mosques (one of which is literally around the corner) and the "neighbourhood" was very authentic. We had a great experience at one of the "cafeterias" where we were greeted like family and I was provided a traditional Turkish hello/goodbye with kisses on both cheeks by the male workers. Very real!

Bottom line: With some minor touch-ups, like getting rid of the 70's era carpets, this hotel could be a true 3 or 3.5 but, overall, it was acceptable and pretty much what we were expecting.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front face a very busy street. If street noise causes you sleep problems, then fin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ron B
devrim a, Director of Sales at Atalay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Bymeron,Thank you very much for comments. Your comment are very important to our hotel.We will consider and assess comments.Thanks to you to complete our deficiencies. will be happy to choose our hotel again.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just got back from one-nigh stay in Atalay. I booked it basically for the fantastic price and did not expect much.

But the hotel turned out to be pretty fine. Check-in/out procedure fast and easy. Good and helpful employees. Coffee machine (not a very high quality though) in the lobby. The room was pretty clean and of an acceptable size for one person - the bathroom, though, is a bit small. You can live with that of course as long as it is clean, and it sure is. Good toiletries.

The two highlights I liked most about this hotel were the free WI-FI, which worked just perfectly, and the breakfast. Believe me, in Turkey I have been to 5 star hotels with much poorer breakfast. The options were plentiful and of good quality - and it was served on 10th floor, which had a nice view of the town.

There are small flaws, of course. TV programs are pretty weak and insufficient if you are bored, but you can always stick to internet. And there was a silly automatic, photo-electric (or whatever it is called) lamp in the entrance of the room that went on and off whenever I moved inside the room - even in the daytime. Very weird and unnecessary. And the walls are quite thin so if you have a noisy neighbors expect to hear them off.

All in all, I recommend it for business travelers, esp the ones who are looking for a well-priced hotel in Ankara - a city which hotels can sometimes be ridiculous in terms of pricing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
devrim a, Director of Sales at Atalay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Mohmov,
Your positive comments made ​​us very happy.Thank you for choosing our hotel.Looking forward to host you in our hotel again.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

On August i stayed ten days in Atalay Hotel on Ankara the city i'm familiar with. The hotel was decent atmosphere and clieants athough its neighbourhood has a bad bad reputation.The staff was helpful and friendly, except breakfast, the meal was fine but the rooms the most frigile point of the hotel had a lot to go for , bad smelling air-condition, old-fashioned furniture and gloomy curtains,dirty fitted-carpet.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear frequent flyer a, firstly thank you for the comment. Very important guest reviews for hotel management. Atalay Hotel completely renovated in 2012.
I would ask to you,your accommodation dates in our hotel. We want to examine your comments about the room.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotelroom is pleasant and welcoming. The restaurant is located on the top floor from which you have a nice view over Ankara. The food they serve tastes good. But the hotel is located in an area with a lot of hotels that probably rent out their room on an hourly basis.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_&_Sanderella

Dear Paul_&_Sanderella, Thank you for choosing our hotel. Your comment are very important for we.Looking forward to host you in our hotel again.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a few times over the last few years. I would suggest this hotel in terms of its clean rooms, nice and friendly service. Room and bathroom cleaning and hygiene is especially important for me in a hotel (you don't want to sleep thinking about germs and bugs all around all night) So, this hotel is very clean. the view from the top restaurant&terrace is great to have a scenic view of almost all Ankara. Lots of historical sights and the old historical town center is just walking distance away. Ruins of roman baths are just opposite the hotel, the old Ankara castle is very near, and the historical shopping bazaar is also at a walking distance. You will like this hotel when you visit Ankara.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lanceshield
devrim a, Board Member at Atalay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear lanceshield, thank you for your kind words about us. We know that hygiene is the most important thing in a hotel and we are trying to keep our hotel clean as we keep our own homes. Looking forward to host you in our hotel again.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've spent only one night in the hotel during travelling in Turkey within organized tour. We checked-in late and left the hotel early. The room was very small, like I opened the door and found myself on the bed. The room was very well equipped: slippers, hairdryer, towels, cosmetics, safe. Perfect Wi-fi connection. Breakfast wasn't so various, but still enough. I also beleive that hotel isn't so far away from the sightseeing. Anyway, if someday I will visit Ankara again I think I will stay in this hotel again and will recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Natalia1150
devrim a, Board Member at Atalay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear Natalia1150, thank you for commenting on our hotel. Our hotel is located at the old city center and as you said we are in the middle of all sightseeing. Next time we will be looking for you to host you in a bigger room (we have different types of rooms but the day you have visited Ankara we were full and some rooms smaller than others).

Looking forward to host you in Atalay Hotel again.

Best wishes from Ankara

Reviewed February 3, 2012

The hotel is very close to the museums and other must see places.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Vademacum

Dear Vademacun, Thank you for the comment. Looking forward to host you in our hotel again.