“Nice rooms, no a/c”
Review of Divan Ankara

Divan Ankara
Ranked #21 of 176 Hotels in Ankara
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here in July (2 adults, 2 children) and while the room was very nice (clean, modern) and well located, the A/C stopped working in the middle of night. We struggled with it several times, tried to reset it and also tried to open windows but they were sealed/locked. My husband went to the front desk at 4am to ask for assistance and a fan (no help on either), so we suffered through the night. We got up early for breakfast and by the time we got back, the a/c was working. I then read other reviews on TA, and it looks like this is a frequent problem.

Room Tip: If traveling in the summer/hot months, make sure the room's windows open before accepting.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nathalieroberts
There are newer reviews for Divan Ankara

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have spent one night with my wife at Divan Ankara hotel. Hopefully it was a one day trip cause I would look for another hotel for the second night. I had clearly requested a non-smoking room before our arrival and confirmed it during check-in. However, we have discovered that awful smoke when we get into our room. We have been told that the room would be cleaned by some "ozon" thing but nothing had been done.
It took 3 hours to bring us a slipper and almost 10 minutes to have our car parked at garage.

DIVAN Ankara will be my last option during my trips in Ankara...

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SerkanAksu
Reviewed September 14, 2012

DIVAN HOTEL, ANKARA
We went to this hotel on Business in September for 13 nights. We were recommended this hotel by the company we were working for so took their advice. In short I found this hotel excellent and would return when we are next in Ankara.
The only negative is they have a bar called “Niki’s” which is attached to the hotel (I’m unsure if it is part of the hotel). This bar seems to have nights when they played dance music very loud (e.g. you could feel the base not just hear it) till 12 o’clock and I was on the fourth floor . These nights seem random (midweek, weekends). As we were on business the odd early night was required which seem to co-inside with these parties.

LOCATION

The location of this hotel is excellent very close to restaurants, shops and bars. It’s up a side road which is a steep hill. Taxi’s are everywhere and easy in Ankara, but a Taxi rank is at the bottom of the hill so they seem to come extremely quickly. It cost us 70 lira to and from the airport, 12 lira to Ataturk Mausoleum (Anitkabir) and 15 lira to the Ankara Citadel (Hisar). Starbucks and Burger King are 100 metres away if you need that kind of thing. We walked around the area of the hotel in the evening and never felt threatened. There is a Carrefour supermarket (down the hill turn right and right again) where you can get pop, beer, water and chocolate to save using the mini bar, Bit of advice they are a bit moody in there so best to take small notes.
RECEPTION

It is Very Modern. Check in and out were easy, all the staff spoke perfect English which is good as none of us spoke Turkish. Wi-fi is FREE, Each floor has two connections, so you can decide which has the best signal strength. It did drop out the odd night but nothing to worry about. I used skype most nights without any issues. I did visit the Sheriton and Hilton (which are within walking distance) for a nose and was surprised to see security like an airport. Unsure whether this is a good point or a bad point? But the shopping centres and the company we were working for also had this level of security.

THE ROOM
No complaints it was modern and cleaned daily. It’s up to you if you required clean bed linen or towels. They are air conditioned however if you have it turn on full can be a little noisy. You get a complimentary bottle or water and Turkish delight most days. On the Sunday I received a complimentary plate of fruit. We had Standard Room King which was good (The website has standard or deluxe), My colleague had visited twice previously for a 2 night stop over and had a smaller room.

FOOD/RESTURANT
Breakfast is very good. Best breakfast (continental basis) I’ve been too. You can order cooked food such as boiled, scrambled eggs omelettes etc. The breakfast waiter is pleasant and friendly and constantly fills up your coffee.
Evening meals are also very good. We had a variety of dishes over our stay which where all good. I suggest the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wings and the Texas Burger. However with the location you’re not far from other restaurants and bars which are cheaper.
We used several restaurants nearby, the Gunaydin (Great Steaks) but probably at the higher end of the price range (160-210 lira for meal for 2). You have Kebap49 (30-60 lira for 2) and Cafe lins a short walk which are excellent and slightly cheaper. All spoke English.

SERVICE
All staff are extremely helpful, can't fault the staff all English speaking.

GENERAL
On a small point the hotel didn’t seem to have anywhere to sit, relax and have a beer. The restaurant was also the bar (e.g. a few bar stools). It would benefit from an outside terrace area, On the Sunday afternoon I took my book up to the Sheriton hotel and sat on their terrace in the sun and had a few beers, but they were expensive 15 lira apposed to 10 at the divan and 7 in a local bar but all in all great and would return

Room Tip: Upper floors -opposite side to Nikki's Bar
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank toddydec
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Hotel was picked for its location as we were attending a family wedding. It is in a lively area with everything one would need, shops restrurants and cafes. However the hotel itself is tucked away from the main street but a 3 minute walk from everything which was very convenient.

The Divan Ankara is one of a change of hotels that are well established and have a good reputation, they are also known for there pattiserrie shops and cafes.

On entrance to the lobby, it is quiet small but the outstanding feature was the politeness of all the staff at reception, very smartly dressed and very helpful.

We was one of the first to arrive from our party of 7 rooms and had to change rooms as unfortunately they are on the very small side.

I was travelling with two suitcases and there was no room to put them anywhere.

i was then offered a corner room which was slightly bigger but still felt squashed.

Windows could not be opened so in 33 degrees heat one relied on the air con which was a real pain, because it is centrally controlled and is turned off after what is fixed to be a certain temperature, well in actual fact it was off more then on. Having called maintenance 3 times in the end he said I will do it so that it stays constantly on for you, so he opened it all up in the ceiling and sorted it.

It became better but still not great.

The Divan does not have a lobby area that has seating in, to sit for a period of time so the only place to eat in the hotel or drink is the Divan bar/pub as they called it, a pleasant room with modern furniture.

But again if you wanted to sit to chat about anything there was only a corner consisting of a 2 seat sofa and that was it there is no where to go, because we became a large party of people we had no where to sit and discuss things.

The breakfast area was not suitable as when breakfast was finished you were obliged to leave for them to set up for early lunches at 11.30, evening they wanted to set it up for breakfast.

This is where we had breakfast.

The breakfast selection was disappointing my pet hate is when things are not labelled or restocked so you are going around looking at empty bowls.

There was not enough selection of breads, the diet area was very small and did not look appetising at all. Only a two cereal choice and poor set out.

The popular things like fruits were on a top shelf that could not even be seen and I never did get to eat a melon as once it was gone it was never refilled, they though request were made for it to be.

You could asked for cooked breakfast which was nice and this we did a couple of times. Once the rest of the party arrived and other people in the hotel came to breakfast the Breakfast staff lost there efficiency and we noticed a couple of long faces as if it was getting too much for them, so we were making the request straight to the kitchen chef through the hatch and then picking things up ourselves once they were ready.

The breakfast staff were not as good as the reception staff who both on night duty and day time were excellent.

On the whole the hotel was clean but just like the heading BIJOU both in rooms and public areas.

I was there for 4 days this was too long for this sort of hotel I think a two night stay is what it is better for. There are spa facilities but I never used them.

Would I go again Yes but not for more then 2 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room ss the rest of standard are tiny
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DuquesaLondon
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is tucked into a quite alley on centre of the city. The rooms clean and comfortable with good amount of natural lights. The Buffets having variety of menu both continental and regional cuisines. The staff was always helpful and promptly responded to any request.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel is very nice and the personnel is very careful and attentive. The rooms are quite cosy and the bed is fantastic.

It is sad I could stay there for a brief period of time.

Highly recommendable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank oviajador
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Ankara was our first stop in a two week trip of Turkey. This hotel was such a pleasant way to begin. Modern, welcoming, comfortable. Well located in this bustling city. They even handled a delicate situation for me in a superb fashion... I do not usually keep my passport in a safe. But, I did here. Unfortunately, I left it in the safe when we checked out. It was several hours later that our tour guide asked me if I had my passport. The hotel had notified him of my situation and suggested that the passport be sent to our final destination in Istanbul for me to pick up there. The plan worked perfectly.

Room Tip: The hotel, while well-located, is on a very quiet street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple