“Bijou Hotel”
Review of Divan Ankara

Divan Ankara
Ranked #20 of 178 Hotels in Ankara
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Hotel was picked for its location as we were attending a family wedding. It is in a lively area with everything one would need, shops restrurants and cafes. However the hotel itself is tucked away from the main street but a 3 minute walk from everything which was very convenient.

The Divan Ankara is one of a change of hotels that are well established and have a good reputation, they are also known for there pattiserrie shops and cafes.

On entrance to the lobby, it is quiet small but the outstanding feature was the politeness of all the staff at reception, very smartly dressed and very helpful.

We was one of the first to arrive from our party of 7 rooms and had to change rooms as unfortunately they are on the very small side.

I was travelling with two suitcases and there was no room to put them anywhere.

i was then offered a corner room which was slightly bigger but still felt squashed.

Windows could not be opened so in 33 degrees heat one relied on the air con which was a real pain, because it is centrally controlled and is turned off after what is fixed to be a certain temperature, well in actual fact it was off more then on. Having called maintenance 3 times in the end he said I will do it so that it stays constantly on for you, so he opened it all up in the ceiling and sorted it.

It became better but still not great.

The Divan does not have a lobby area that has seating in, to sit for a period of time so the only place to eat in the hotel or drink is the Divan bar/pub as they called it, a pleasant room with modern furniture.

But again if you wanted to sit to chat about anything there was only a corner consisting of a 2 seat sofa and that was it there is no where to go, because we became a large party of people we had no where to sit and discuss things.

The breakfast area was not suitable as when breakfast was finished you were obliged to leave for them to set up for early lunches at 11.30, evening they wanted to set it up for breakfast.

This is where we had breakfast.

The breakfast selection was disappointing my pet hate is when things are not labelled or restocked so you are going around looking at empty bowls.

There was not enough selection of breads, the diet area was very small and did not look appetising at all. Only a two cereal choice and poor set out.

The popular things like fruits were on a top shelf that could not even be seen and I never did get to eat a melon as once it was gone it was never refilled, they though request were made for it to be.

You could asked for cooked breakfast which was nice and this we did a couple of times. Once the rest of the party arrived and other people in the hotel came to breakfast the Breakfast staff lost there efficiency and we noticed a couple of long faces as if it was getting too much for them, so we were making the request straight to the kitchen chef through the hatch and then picking things up ourselves once they were ready.

The breakfast staff were not as good as the reception staff who both on night duty and day time were excellent.

On the whole the hotel was clean but just like the heading BIJOU both in rooms and public areas.

I was there for 4 days this was too long for this sort of hotel I think a two night stay is what it is better for. There are spa facilities but I never used them.

Would I go again Yes but not for more then 2 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room ss the rest of standard are tiny
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DuquesaLondon

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is tucked into a quite alley on centre of the city. The rooms clean and comfortable with good amount of natural lights. The Buffets having variety of menu both continental and regional cuisines. The staff was always helpful and promptly responded to any request.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel is very nice and the personnel is very careful and attentive. The rooms are quite cosy and the bed is fantastic.

It is sad I could stay there for a brief period of time.

Highly recommendable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank oviajador
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Ankara was our first stop in a two week trip of Turkey. This hotel was such a pleasant way to begin. Modern, welcoming, comfortable. Well located in this bustling city. They even handled a delicate situation for me in a superb fashion... I do not usually keep my passport in a safe. But, I did here. Unfortunately, I left it in the safe when we checked out. It was several hours later that our tour guide asked me if I had my passport. The hotel had notified him of my situation and suggested that the passport be sent to our final destination in Istanbul for me to pick up there. The plan worked perfectly.

Room Tip: The hotel, while well-located, is on a very quiet street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J David N
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Everything about the hotel is great. The location is convenient, the service is just excellent - very welcoming, friendly and efficient. We had a peasant one night stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fnugroho
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I was unfortunately more than undewhelmed by this hotel, to the point that I had to move out. Most importantly, my room was uncomfortably warm for two days straight. When I asked for the A/C to be fixed on day one, the response was that I could open a window, but that they would look into it. Of course, while the weather was wonderful outside, it is far to noisy in this part of Ankara to do such a thing. My room was the smallest hotel room I have ever slept in. The furnishings look sharp, but are uncomfortable (you actually have to request a matress pad -- not a pillow top, mind you -- if want even a slightly less firm bed). The bathroom was comparatively large and well appointed with a huge shower (though the rain shower was not quite rain-like). The service could be better and more friendly. The breakfast is vast and actually quite good. Despite the noise, the location is stellar. Too bad these few positives ended up at the bottom of my list.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for one of the larger rooms on an upper floor with a better a/c system...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Derek M
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Good location, perfect staff, tunali street is superb and lovely

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business