“Good hotel for a one night stay”
Review of Hotel Akyuz

Hotel Akyuz
Ranked #117 of 175 Hotels in Ankara
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel for a one night stay”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a 15 day tour. Although the room was in need of decoration, it was adequate for a 1 nights stay. The helpful staff repaired the shower within minutes of me phoning reception.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

• Turkish first
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here as part of a 15 day tour and it is not a great hotel. It does need renovating but we were comfortable and the breakfast was OK except they only offered instant coffee. However, we were warned by our guide not to wander around at night in this area of Ankara, which wasn't a problem as we had already eaten and we were very tired.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marya7
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a 15 day Turkish guided tour. Easily the worst of the 11 hotels we used and not one I would return to in a hurry. The in room fridge was broken and the inside rusty. Bedding and decor is 70s style and probably original.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T

Travelers are raving about these Ankara hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent there 3 nights and it was really good. Good location and helpful staff. Breakfast is also good. We had a double room and it was small but the bathroom was so good. If you need to stay in Ankara just stay here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mceyik
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 26, 2011

As I approached the Hotel Akyuz on foot, I questionned my sanity in making the booking because: the hotel is about 3 long blocks from the
train station and the last block barely has a sidewalk due either to ongoing repairs or exhaustion of road repair funds. So it is somewhat
treacherous to get to the hotel on foot. In Ankara, pedestrians take their lives in their own hands anyway. The hotel is on a street with wallpaper stores,
fixture stores, electrical supply stores, etc. There is ample, nearby street food (a must for me). A Post Office (cash only) is located next door to the hotel.
I mailed some of my gazillion souveniers back to myself to lighten my travel bag but, sad to say, my package has not yet arrived.
The Ankara Sports Arena is a couple of blocks away, as is a large park.

I arrived very early in the day. Approaching the registration desk with passport in hand, I stated in my native language that I had a reservation
and then stated my name. The clerk looked at me as though I was the last person in the world he expected to see. The confusion evaporated as soon
as he checked the records, but neither of us gained a single word of the other's language, I being ignorant of Turkish and he being fluent only in his own tongue.

Here, PAI (point-at-it), the universal travel language, came in handy. Once we were in sync, the hotel clerk allowed me to immediately check in and go to the room.
Very welcome treatment, I must say, in spite of the 'charade-like' aspect of the check-in process.

The room: good sized, no-frills accommodations (lacking in-room tea/coffee maker) but containing a small fridge, big old tv, and free internet.
Nothing fancy about the bed, bedding, etc., and there was a prominent cigarette burn on the carpet (but no cigarette smell in the room).

The breakfast buffet - typical Turkish breakfast (cheeses, bread, olives, tomatoes, etc., plus a delicious soup). While one may expect these items, it should be noted
that Turkish tomatoe is unbelievably delicious, as is the bread. What may sound like a boring meal is actually fresh and full of flavor and variety.

The Akyuz Hotel guests' services include many admirable features: a reminder call that the breakfast buffet is ending soon,
maid service after you leave your room (no matter what time), and friendly and non-intrusive staff. The hotel itself has a somewhat faded beauty quality,
which might put some travelers off. In the end, I really enjoyed my stay.

For the price, the amenities and the location, I would recommend it.
Of course, this recommendation would apply to the traveler who wants to experience being in Turkey (as opposed to the traveler who wants to find the USA in Turkey).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family