“Best historic hotel I' ve ever seen.”
Review of Angora House

Angora House
Ranked #2 of 101 Ankara B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

If you like historic places you must stay in this hotel, this hotel located in Kale Ankara it's kept original due to government regulations. It's actually a house with 6 rooms coverted to a historic hotel, do not expect big fancy doors and huge waiting area it's pure history and I love historic places. If you are looking for a fancy building with a lot of rooms and staff stay in another place otherwise you must experience this place at least just go and visit, you will definetly enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is our sixth visit and, as always, we have been greeted by the friendly helpful staff. Close to the museum of Anatolian civilizations, and to the nicest antiquarians in the city, it is also perfect to visit the rest of Ankara. While Ankara is a noisy sprawling city here you wake up to the sound of birds. I do not want to repeat what has already been said. I will just add that they serve breakfast at the table (no waste !), that they have Wifi all over and gracefully printed our boarding passes.

Room Tip: Make sure they understand you want a double room if you do : two single beds is not equivalent to a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ParisandVenice
Reviewed November 12, 2011

It is a beautiful boutique hotel, exquisite design, large elegant rooms, great location for touristic purposes, right between the walls of Ankara fortress. Nice friendly helpful staff

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joussi j
Reviewed November 11, 2011

it is old town. close to museum.it was clean room.but noisyy

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank yoshiekohashi
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Overall: Comfortable, bijou hotel with soft-spoken, gracious staff. I've stayed here twice for a total of four nights.

Rooms: Spotless. With wooden floors and ceilings, antique-looking furniture, and comfortable beds, both bedrooms I stayed in achieved an 'old-time' look. The rooms had satellite TVs, and radiators and air-conditioners for warmth. The bathrooms were stocked with soap, shampoo, shower gel and hairdryers, and had Western-style toilets. The showers were hot and powerful.

Breakfast: Delicious and sufficient. Breakfast comprised a basket of French bread with a dish of green and black olives, a plate of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, a slice of cheese, a slice of sausage, and an assortment of toppings (chocolate spread, cream cheese, honey, butter, and jam), followed by an omelette. Coffee was bottomless, and more bread was offered.

Amenities: There is wi-fi throughout the hotel. In the living room downstairs is a flat-screen TV, a bookcase of second-hand novels, and a long coffee table stacked with magazines, maps and tourist brochures on Turkey.

There are also a couple of tavla (backgammon) boards - (part of the Turkish street scene) - and as soon as I showed interest, I was challenged by the staff to a series of games.

Location: The citadel is largely pedestrianised: this is one of its charms. The lanes are narrow and broken, the buildings worn and photogenic. Taxis stop at the main archway entrance to the "Kalesi". From this archway, guests follow the cobbled lane straight and will find Angora House on the right hand side; less than a minute's walk.

We were met at the archway by an Angora House staff member, who helped carry our suitcases to the hotel.

The one oddity was that the street door to the hotel courtyard was always closed and we had to ring the bell for it to be opened. No problem, just an oddity.

If I am ever in Ankara again, I will stay here again. There are only six rooms, so booking ahead is recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Meliko
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were sorely disappointed with our stay at this property, rated rather highly in the past by other TA travelers. We arrived late on a Saturday afternoon and called the hotel to get directions, as I could not get connected with wireless when we arrived in the city. I reckoned that the cab would have trouble finding it. I was right - but the phone call was fruitless. The person at the Angora House that I spoke with could offer nothing beyond "old town" [which I knew] and to come to the Archeological Museum and find our way from there. He added that he was not from Ankara, but rather another city, on the Coast, and he could not be any more helpful. So, the cab got us to the Museum for us only to discover that all roads up the remainder of the hill were closed for coinstruction save one, which was under heavy construction itself, running steeply up the hill besides the Museum. It had been heavily and recently graded and was simply dust, dirt, rocks and mud -- hardly the thing to want to confront with luggage. I called him again for suggestions, and once again he reminded me he wasn't familiar with the area and that we should simply come up the hill on that road and ask directions.

OK.Did that, and got there, dustily. The room was a bit ragged around the edges; as well, we had to ask for soap (there was an empty liquid soap bottle on the counter). None came during our 2-night stay. The room faced a small courtyard that backed off another hotel and, I think, a restaurant. It was the scene of sprited loud conversation and much smoking until somewhere after 0300.

The breakfast was presented in a lovely "parlor," and that proved to be the best part of the meal: plain, skimpy, and not so appetizing as far as the food was concerned.

The real problem came at check-out. The reservation had been made through a prominent booking website and the room was guaranteed for 2 nights via my MC card. When I went to pay the two-night tariff by that card the person on the desk [he of "I'm not from around here"] told me the management preferred to be paid in cash. I told him I preferred to pay by CC which was allowed (and stipulated so) per my receipt from the booking agency.

He ran the MC card and also a Visa card and told me both were declined. I was not amused and insisted he give me the receipt from his hand-held digital thingy; after some argument he gave me two receipts for the two denials. I paid him in cash and left, but not before his digital thingy sent messages to him that another guest's card had been refused.

I recognized the scam [yes, it was that] for what it was. In the cab on the way to the train station I called MC and they informed me: (a) card was perfectly valid; (B) they had no record that the card had been verified for the reservation; and [C] they had no record that the card had even been submitted to payment that morning. The Visa bank reported that that card was also valid and in good standing and no efforts to place a charge on it had been attempted.

Later that day I called the booking agency and reported all of this to them; subsequently, I submitted to them my review of what happened, on their review form. Some days later I received an email from that agency telling me that they recognized and understood the problem, apologized and that they would "take care of it." This is, incidentally, an agency that I have used for years throughout Europe and Asia and with which I have never had a problem with a hotel.

On our way back through Ankara a week or so later, we stayed at another hotel downtown that was excellent; I will be reporting anon to TA my experience at that hotel.

Save yourself a bunch of problems and travel grief and avoid the Angora House. It represents Turkish hotels and inns badly; it was the ONLY negative hotel/inn/"pensyon" experience we had during a 3+week individualized trek about Turkey.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Orangulu
Reviewed October 22, 2011

This hotel is in the old bit of Ankara, by the citadel. Taxis can't drop you off right outside, there's a short walk over cobblestones. We stayed for two nights. The staff were nice, although unable to recommend anywhere to eat, and we ended up in the awful restaurant behind the hotel, as after walking around the citadel at dusk we didn't feel comfortable wandering any further. On our second night we ate in Kizilay, which was lively and much nicer.

Angora House is good for the Museum and citadel, but to get anywhere else in Ankara you will have to rely on taxis or figure out the public transport system - it's a big place.

Angora House has nice rooms, with modern bathrooms. There is WIFI and they gave us water before bed - a nice touch. The breakfast was minimal, but perfectly ok. The major problem with the hotel was - for us - the noise. Our room was directly above the ground floor communal living room, and the hotel staff had the TV on constantly. The sound travelled directly up to our room. Combined with noise from the street, and the music from the restaurant behind, as well as being able to hear guests in the room above us, it made for probably the noisiest hotel room we've ever stayed in!

For the price we probably could have found somewhere better. Angora House is trying to be a boutique hotel, but not quite there yet.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple