“Oasis!!”

Hotel Altinel Ankara
Ranked #51 of 176 Hotels in Ankara
Reviewed March 31, 2013

What a great hotel in a great city. Its located more in the business/campus area but it has great connections via the train and is literally an oasis in the city. Beautiful rooms, great bar, good food. Definitely a must stay if your touring turkey. Also the wifi was impeccable, a first on that trip.
Do keep in mind its downtown so your going to have a little noise. But the spacious and well appointed rooms more than accommodate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Altinel Ankara

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I found that there are many hotels in Turkey that identify themselves as a "four star property". Yet, when you stay there you're left wondering how they got that rating. Not so with the Barcelo. Sleek, modern and very euro-centric design in the lobby. Large and well appointed rooms with a very comfortable bed, ample drawer space and work desk. The bathrooms were roomy with good water pressure and actually decent towels. The free wifi wass fast and dependable.
Sad to say the spa and pool were closed. I didn't understand why because they were all indoors. Maintanence maybe? I was only there for the night, so I couldn't pursue it further.
Kudos to Manager on Duty Francisco. I was there with a group from Latin America and he seemed eager to reach out to us. He freely offered to assist us with anything and stayed true to his word with what seemed even minor things.
This property seems suited for the business traveller as well as the tourist and, in my view, set the standard for a proper four star location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Larryort
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were traveling with a Gate 1 tour and found the beds in this hotel to be the most comfortable of all the hotels where we stayed. We had a nice dinner at the hotel and the breakfast buffet was also good. We waited a long time in the bar area for service, but at least the chairs were comfortable and we were not in a hurry. The location was fine for us because we were only staying overnight and had no desire to explore the city. An atm and grocery store were across the street

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am writing this review still whilst being a customer of the Barcelo Ankara Hotel. I am here for 3 days on a business trip and my luggage went lost. I cannot find the words to express my praise and praise to compliment the front office staff of this hotel, namely Gokhan, Evgul and Ahmet the hotel's taxi driver. Even the hotel's Front Office Manager Mr Unaldi was informed about my mishap and personally came to ask me if I needed any help. They helped me all the way. About the hotel ... centrally located, very clean, abundant breakfast and great service at dinner time. I certainly recommend this hotel for your stay in Ankara.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel was part of a tour package for Gate 1, and the wrap up hotel of the trip before heading back to Istanbul. What did I think? It's OK. Nice western style business hotel. If I was doing business in Ankara, I'd choose this hotel on a regular basis. Clean, acceptable rooms, professional staff. However, I came into this hotel as a traveler on a guided tour, and felt as that goes, it was a marginal choice. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice hotel, it's just not easy walk to things you'd like to experience as a traveler in Ankara. Another poor Gate 1 choice rather than a poor hotel choice. In other words if your looking for that Turkish ambiance, this is more like hangin' at the Hilton waiting for your meeting than exploring a fascinating country in an exotic locale.

Firstly,

The PROS: Nice rooms, clean, good breakfast buffet, nicely maintained establishment. The metal detector that you have to pass through to enter the hotel did strike me as a little odd though. No, I'm not joking, there was a metal detector in the lobby, but on the other hand, it did feel remarkably safe.

There are also ATM's close by, a market across the street, a western mall and a McDonalds close by If you consider that a plus for your Turkish travel.

The CONS: Mainly it's just a long way from anything that you travel to Turkey to see. Phenomenal restaurants are within walking distance, but it's a hike. Old town and city center require transportation in less you have time to walk the rather healthy distance from the hotel. I guess my only issue with the hotel was the locale for my purposes, but speaking to the placement of the hotel, others in the group thought it was great.

Room Tip: everyone I talked to on the tour liked their accommodations as did I. It's a city view in all d...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank steve9631
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Centrally located. Quick check in. Clean public areas. Room was large and modern and extremely comfortable. We had difficulty ordering a drink at the bar due to a language barrier - we ended up pointing to a menu. Tried to find the washroom in the bar area but it took 2 phone calls and 3 staff to find it. The front desk were helpful in recommending places to eat. Breakfast was excellent with a great variety of foods.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel is nice, clean, have nice design from inside, and its location is nice. They have good restaurant, and great breakfast choices, in the breakfast you will see more options and more food available for you .
It was awesome expireince in Ankara, but the stay in Barcelo Hotel was the key for us to have the most fantastic time in Turkey , anyway , the hotel staff are friendly & cooperative ( Especially i wanna thank ERGUL in reception ) she helped me a lot because I do not know the Turkish language . the room service is very good , the hotel in general is very clean . The location is so suitable for going anywhere , anyway I hope come back to Barcelo Hotel next year .

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business