“Will never forget...”
Review of Divan Cukurhan

Divan Cukurhan
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Ankara
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm so glad I read the reviews on many of the hotels in Ankara. This hotel had the highest praise - and it indeed lived up to my expectation. I booked it as a surprise get away for my husband and I. The location was great - right up next to the fortress walls, near gift shops, and several dining options. The staff was nice. Our room was beautiful! The breakfast was perfect. The hotel itself is like a museum, so much to discover and see. We are so happy to share with others the wonderful time we had and we would love to go again sometime.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sylwia D, General Manager at Divan Cukurhan, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Stacwith8,

I would like to thank you for taking Your time and letting us know how You and Your husband have enjoyed staying in our unique property.
It is always very motivating for me and my excellent team to see feedback like this.
Anytime You will be in Ankara You are more than welcome to visit us again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

What a great hotel, in a great location. Our first trip to Ankara was a pleasure, largely because we stayed at Divan Cukurhan--at the beginning and again at the end of our holiday trip to central Turkey. We experienced two different rooms; both were comfortable and nicely appointed. Breakfast was outstanding--absolutely delicious, as well as beautifully presented and served. Meals come from the restaurant next door; our dinners at Divan Cukurhan and at the restaurant were very good. The office staff and everyone there are friendly and helpful. As for the location, the hotel sits directly across from the impressive Ankara castle. The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations is just down the street; in the other direction is Copper Alley and a host of great shops. The patisserie next door is another bonus; we couldn't stay away. We'll return to Ankara and will definitely stay at Divan Cukurhan.

Room Tip: We loved 213.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lduffy1
Sylwia D, General Manager at Divan Cukurhan, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear lduffy1

What a great day to start by seeing Your beautifull feedback about our hotel!
Thank You so much for taking the time and sharing with us Your experience.
It is always very motivating for me and for my great Staff to see that our guests are having amazing time with us.
I do believe that on Your next visit to Ankara You will be our guest again and You will have a chance to experience another themed room:-)

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel comes with a story. The Divan chain is owned by the Koc family, one of the wealthiest families in Turkey, and once upon a time the site of this hotel was their main trading warehouse, located right next to Ankara castle. The Koc's bought the site and converted it into a luxury hotel, which however still keep the trading legacy of the family. There is a museum on site, lots of old photos on the walls, and the entire hotel is built in a quirky way. You have a central courtyard, and around it you have the rooms. Half of the rooms overlook the outside, half the courtyard (if you want to open the window and have some fresh air in your room, ask for one overlooking the street!).

It is one of the most beautiful hotels I've even stayed in. Beautifully decorated, with lost of traditional art on the walls, it is a very special place. At the same time rooms are done to a high standard (perhaps even going too far, e.g. with all the gold in the bathrooms). Altogether it's a very nice place to stay. And location is very interesting, on the top of the hill next to Ankara castle and the archeological museum. It's not a very convenient location for a business trip but it's perfect for a city trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Williamek

Dear Williamek ,

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and writing such a detailed feedback.
It is always nice for me and for my wonderfull employees to see that the guests are enjoying our hotel and service which we provide.
In a busy place like Ankara we are like a small Island of tranquility...

Looking forward welcoming You back

Kind regards

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Divan Cukurhan absolutely deserves the #1 ranking in Ankara. We stayed two nights during our trip and wish we could have stayed longer. The airport pickup was very convenient. The historic hotel is situated across from the old citadel and commands a beautiful view of the city. The staff was kind and helpful, and the rooms were artfully decorated, spacious, very clean, and comfortable--excellent value as well; we had a rain shower and a bathtub. (The only issue we had was the seemingly random wiring of the electrical switches-- some just turned certain lights on, while others did both, and some lights did nothing. Not a big deal though.) Its quaint location in the old part of the city provides a welcome refuge from the hustle and bustle of Ankara.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ashurbanipal
Sylwia D, General Manager at Divan Cukurhan, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear PhoenicianPhenom

We very much appreciate you taking the time to write this great review and it is so nice to read that your stay with us was memorable.

I thank you for the excellent rating and for your kind recommendation to our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you at Divan Çukurhan again soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is a beautifully furnished and comfortable hotel in the old part of Ankara. It is a renovated caravanserai. Within walking distance of the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations. Rooms large, very comfortable beds and bathrooms fantastic, with bath and shower. The lighting in the bedroom was dim - not sufficient for reading. But I could relax and read downstairs in the elegant and comfortable lobby/lounge area or quaintly furnished library (and they would bring me a glass of wine). And I was a little surprised that, in such a modern hotel there was no refrigerator in the room. Wonderful breakfasts. The staff, especially the young men at Reception, were extremely helpful. The restaurant staff also were friendly and provided excellent service to me as a single guest, even in the middle of dealing with conference dinners and weddings.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pamela F

Dear Pamela F

I would like to thank You for taking Your time and writing a beautifull feedback about our unique property.
I am glad that you had a memorable and enjoyable time with us.
Regarding the light in the room You are right, in some rooms it is not enough to read a book.We are looking into it and we will find a solution for the problem.I will pass the message to the Front Office Staff and I am sure they will be happy to hear your appreciation

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had excellent time in ANKARA.the hotel is located in great location.it is walking distances to archaeological museum & ankara kilesi.you can also walk to many local resturant.Hotel manager & staff speks english & manager helped me with trip to Hattusas with english speking guide/driver.
there is no agency in ANKARA that offer HATTUSAS as day trip with english guide,so i am really thankful to the manager.the rest of the staff was great for making good suggestion for visiting the places in the evening.i would like to stay their again if i ever return to ANKARA.
MY ROOM HAD GREAT VIEW of the city &they serve GREAT BREAKFAST.they also have a nice museum attached to the hotel which is worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear kalp-51

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review & for the excellent rating you gave us.
I am glad to read that your stay with us was enjoyable and that we have lived up to your expectations.
We look forward to be of a service again soon and i would like to wish you a very happy 2013.

Thanks again,
Sincerely

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was recommended to stay at this hotel by my son. From the moment of first contact with the hotel, it went well. The initial booking went smoothly on line, and on arrival, I had a nice limo waiting to take me to the hotel. You have one complimentary airport transfer included in the hotel cost. Winding through some pretty streets to the Citadel area in Ankara, the hotel is perched atop a steep mount, and is enthralling as you enter. Refurbished and decorated in surprising colonial style, the welcome hospitality, and efficient personalised check in, made you feel very special. The room with a king bed itself was very comforatble for one to two persons, and the bathroom was a treat, very clean, and with lots of space. Instant hot water when showering in a giant shower. The bed was a bit soft for me but I enjoyed the rest it gave me. Breakfast was the best I had in many years anywhere. Extremely generous portions, I did not need lunch either day. Starter of salad including sweet cherry tomatoes and tasty fennel, with a choice of four cheeses, a six item condiment tray including delicious bitter orange slices, and fresh honeycomb honey, a choice of fresh bread and pastries, with juice, tea or piping hot coffee - served with hot milk - AND a wide variety of cooked regular items with really delicious eggs cooked to perfection and brought in the actual cooking skillet. Extremely restful and quiet, the hotel facilities were functional but highly interesting, exhibiting many invaluable works of art, sculptures, and photos. A short walk from two great open markets, the area close by was alive with local retail activity, and local arts and crafts. Also close to Hacettepe University - a leisurely 10-15 min walk, and lots of good shopping, where prices are very competitive and reasonable, especially for all types of fish, nuts, fruit and vegetables. Museums and sightseeing abound. Great location but a possible tough climb for some less fit who will need a taxi - but you can walk up to the hotel and it is great exercise for the athletic traveller. Tranquil and undisturbed, I definitely would recommend this as a must to stay for a short time. It is only a bed & breakfast hotel, and 2 days cost me Euro 230, worth every Euro. Service was outstanding. Full marks to the Divan. Don't miss this one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dashing4u
Sylwia D, General Manager at Divan Cukurhan, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear dashing4u

Woow!!! What a nice review!
Thank You so much for taking Your valuable time and writing this wonderfull comments.
It was a truly pleasure to make You feel like at home.Myself and my wonderfull Staff are delighted to hear a nice words like that.It is a big honour for us to have a positive feedback from a traveller like You.
We are looking forward seeing You soon,perhaps for the family gateway:-)

Kind Regards