“The Smallest Winery in NC Gives a Big Impact”
Review of Calaboose Cellars

Calaboose Cellars
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Andrews
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In the shadows of the Great Smoky Mountains, there's an old stone building with bars on the windows that overlooks our small vineyard. Legend has it that the local lawman locked up the hooligans here to cool down until they went before the magistrate.Now we use the Calaboose to incarcerate our wine and beer before it makes its escape to you! Come and relax on our Rockyard Patio and enjoy the beauty of the prettiest valley in the state!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've been wanting to get out to this winery for quite a while. When an article in the local newspaper announced that Calaboose is now brewing beer, we decided it was time to go. We had been to another local winery a few years back, but I really didn't care for their wine -- too sweet and heavy for my preference. I was concerned that the Calaboose wines would be the same. I was so wrong! After the tasting, we brought home the Catawba, as well as the strawberry rhubarb wine (purchased several bottles to take to relatives we visited a couple weeks later). The strawberry rhubarb is seasonal, very light and perfect to drink while sitting on a deck! We then sampled the 3 beers and decided to purchase one brewed with cardemom and citrus. Nice, light, summery taste. We have a growler from another brewery (an hour's drive from Calaboose), and the owner filled it. The owners are in the forefront of getting this region recognized as a vivicultural area.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"grounds"
"murphy"

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stopped in for a tasting after a float down the Nantahala. The grounds and building are beautifully kept, and the wines were excellent. The 2012 Chambourcin was the perfect refreshment for a warm summer afternoon, and the owners were very gracious in sharing about their history, their wines, and the new craft brewery. Will probably visit again tomorrow, before we leave the area. Lovely patio and a nice retreat from all the outdoor activities.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am very fortunate to live right down the street from the Calaboose! Every Saturday afternoon I visit the winery to say hello to Eric and Judy AND enjoy their fabulous wines....Chambourcin being my favorite. There's a lovely deck and now a beautiful rock patio with tables, chairs and umbrellas for a comfortable visit with friends. Eric now brews ales which are enjoyed immensely by guests, also. They're open on Friday nights now until 8pm and I highly recommend you bring friends and enjoy the beautiful scenery, lovely hospitality and great wines and ales! Believe me, you will enjoy yourselves and you will come back!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Everytime we are in town we look forward to visiting. The owners are so helpful and they have done a wonderful job creating this unique winery/brewery. It is worth a visit.