“Run down & depressing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Quezon City
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Run down & depressing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Everything is old, from the chairs in the lobby, bedsheets, towel to the carpet & furniture in the room. Nothing has been changed from the time they opened, which is probably in the 1900's!

My room on the 8th floor, didn't even have a window. So room was dark & depressing. Lighting wasn't sufficient too. However, later found out tht this could have been a blessing in disguise! My brother stayed in the room opposite to me, he had window but the curtains barely covered the windows so it was bright & sunny at 630am! Another room, upon check-in, got a warm welcome from a dead cockroach! So in short, it was depressing!

We had no choice but to stay there as we were part of a wedding party that stayed there. I also found out tht the rooms in the new wing as MUCH better, costs a few hundred pesos (500) more but MUCH better!

Also please check your bills carefully upon check-out, some of us were overcharged. I could go on & on but will stop here.

On the positive side, it is close to Trinoma & SM North, MRT & Timog Ave, where there are good restaurants & pubs with live bands.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the new wing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

PROs:
Many restaurants/fast food/ shops/ convenience stores that are accessible on foot.
At least 2 huge malls (SM North, Trinoma) are 10-15 mins by car/taxi.
From the 9th floor up, the "Wing" rooms have a good view of the city
Free parking (a lot of free parking spaces during our weekend stay).
Hotel is a decent 2.5-star hotel which is not so bad considering the location.
They have a 24-hr cafe and atleast 2 restaurants (not 24-hr, though)
For the new wing, room sizes are fairly tolerable.
Breakfast starts at 6 (good for us who had an early appointment).

CONs
Our room toilet and tub is broken and leaking water when you flush (atleast, not sewage water, but still...)
Rooms from 8th floor down are small, dingy and not much different than shady motels (for a little bit more money, book the Superior rooms in the Wing side).
We booked the cheapest room and we asked to be upgraded after seeing it - we felt we were in prison! There was no window on apparently ALL their cheapest rooms. We paid P800 extra for a room with a view, and that is just about the main difference between the De Luxe and Superior Wing room - the size & windows. Everything else is old and worn out.
Sheets are old, room curtains are dilapidated, if not broken (considering the Wing building is ONLY 6 y/o)
TV is old and cable is typically Filipino with not much European channels.
We were on the 9th floor and we can still hear the traffic down below. I suggest booking a room on the topmost floor.
Breakfast is VERY UNHEALTHY (mostly fried Filipino food with rice, with no fresh salads, no eggs, no jam, no fresh milk, no fruits, no cereals and they serve instant coffee only)
They charge you on stains on towels and sheets
No hair dryer in bathroom, only one set of towels.

TIP: There are newer hotels in Mother Ignacia/Timog Avenue and if you can spare another P300-500, you'll get a better experience. But if you need a room just for one night, this hotel is tolerable.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Quezon City hotels

Garden Grove, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

First of all the hotel is quite old but not bad. Their price/rate per day is very affordable. The staff are very friendly, although seems overworked. The food is so so but again is very cheap and affordable. If you really want a place to stay for a few days or so and you are on a budget mode ,I recommend this hotel - very affordable, cheap and accessible to places like malls and restaurants. Otherwise if you looking for a five star hotel, sure is not the right place for you. I definitely come back to this hotel in the near future, either for group of people or just by myself. As you know I am a reasonable person with a limited means.

Room Tip: The most expensive rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ozzie Jun A
philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The place feels old, looks old, and is old. When you you arrive and enter the lobby, its gets a little confusing as there another door to the side of the main entrance. I eventually realized the hotel is composed of several wings or parts interconnectedto each other but its confusing. The corridors lighting was old looking. Entering the room, the lighting did not fare any better. Neither was the bed. The bed looked old, and it sagged, coz it was old. The meeting we had was in the 8th floor, the only saving grace were the signages on handwritten bond papers posted on the wall. Without them, you would get confused depending on which wing's elevator you use to get to the floor.

The meeting room was wide but had posts running in left and right of center of the room, blocking some of the view. Weird to have a conference hall with such posts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank al22tecc
Makati, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

When I visited the hotel's website, I saw that the rates were pretty cheap and that the room photos were nice. They had the same photo for the smallest room in the Main and West wing so I decided to book the second to the cheapest room in the main wing since it's cheaper.

When I booked online for a same day reservation, I got a notification that a confirmation will be sent to me e-mail address. After 2 hours, no confirmation was received so I decided to call the hotel. I told them I booked a room for that afternoon and gave them my name. The operator told me to just wait for the confirmation via e-mail. I pointed out that the reservation was for that afternoon and I would just like to know if I have a reservation or not. The girl had to ask for my name again before checking her system.

When we arrived, the ground floor hallway from the parking lot to the main entrance had a strong stench of pee (fortunately removed when we passed again during check-out) but the smell wasn't a very welcoming first impression. It made me think, "uh-oh. this says a lot about what kind of hotel I booked" When we arrived to the room I booked in the main wing, I was like, "so this is why it's Php 1500.00" the room was really old. It had a musty smell, it was dark, the sheets felt dusty and one would feel grossed out just touching the couch let alone sit on it. I quickly called the front desk to ask if the rooms in the main wing are newer and if I can transfer and just pay the difference. She said yes but warned me that there is no hot water in the other wing. She said she can show me the room first and I asked if I should leave my stuff in the dark musty room first and the girl said yes. We went down to the Front Desk but was told to wait in our room for someone to assist us. The wait took maybe around 20 minutes.

The staff you accompanied us wasn't friendly. He gave the impression that he wasn't happy in what he's doing. He walked about 3 steps ahead of us and even went in and out of the elevator before us.

The second room was a lot better than the first. It was still dark but at least it wasn't smelly. The window glass was dirty.

For dinner, we ordered room service. Food was good, kudos to the kitchen. After eating, I called again and asked for someone to take our plates and I was advised to just leave them outside my room. I left the plates that evening and was surprised to still see it when I left for breakfast, after breakfast and when I checked out.

Just when you think things couldn't get worse, breakfast came. The break had green and black molds! We ate our bread after eating everything so we saw the molds late. We called a lady's attention but all she did was get the plate of half eaten moldy bread and bring it to the kitchen. We waited for 10 minutes but she never came back.

We waited for feedback regarding the bread but it never came as well. We didn't complain upon checking out anymore but we're never coming back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Annie C
Milford Mill, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

The first night things were missing made the report the manager was unconcerned and didn't care about my lost items. The place was dingy dirty and smelled. I wouldnt recommend this to anyone traveling on vacation to the phillipines. I am a trucker and travel a lot and super eight is like a palace to this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Almatrice B
Chennai (Madras), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

When we shifted to Quezon City,Luzon, Philippines,we were refered by our local friends to try this hotel.
It was a nightmare.The staff were not able to understand or speak English fluently.
Room Lightings were very very poor.Curtains fell down. Only Split a/c with out any regulator.
It was sincerely maintaing the Room temperature below 20 Deg C and we were freezing and when we called for the assistance,the House keeping staff came and pushed the knob(which he only can do with some peculier ,hair pin like tool) to Vent position and told us to keep the window open,if we still felt the chill.
Unforgetable experience.Very few vegetarian menu in the restaurant.
Everything is chargable.They don't serve plain water at all in any of the rooms.

Room Tip: Their new wing looks to be spacious.But pls, check for the lighting in the rooms before you agree to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business