“A little disappointing”

Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Quezon City
Quezon City
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

My boyfriend has been here several times and has tried several hotels closest to Araneta Center already. he prefers staying close to the Center because this is where I work and also because it is also convenient for shopping, dining and entertainment. He decided to stay at Fernandina Suites because after seeing the website and reading about it's facilities, we found it quite to be better. Actually it was the idea of having kitchen /cooking facilities in the suite which enticed us since I would have wanted to cook for him knowing he is a little picky when it comes to food.
We arrived at the hotel around 7 pm and checked in immediately. It was quick and we were ushered to our room in no time. Though the room was properly made up, they missed providing us with the flannel sheets. we had to remind front desk the following morning to send us a flannel sheet. During our stay, we also expected to enjoy buffet breakfast everyday but for the first 3 days or so, the hotel just sent us two breakfast options to choose from and that these will have to be delivered to our room because there was a function at the restaurant. The buffet breakfast was one of the perks which enticed us to stay at the hotel but it was so disappointing not to enjoy these for a number of days. Then there is the issue of dirty dishes that needed to be picked up from our room. Since we were compelled to eat breakfast in our room there are dirty dishes to take care of. However, we had to call the restaurant to pick up the dirty dishes because we did not call them it will stay in the room until we do. Once we asked housekeeping if they could take the dirty dishes away but they told us we had to call the restaurant. Where is customer service here? The least they could have done was take the dirty dishes to the resto right? Then there were a couple of time when we asked for our room to be made up but they seem to take the dirty towels away but forget to replace these. Again we had to call front desk to ask for the towels. Also there was a time when we were not informed that another function was being held at the restaurant. We made our way to the resto to enjoy our daily buffet breakfast only to find out there was no place to sit and that the room was set up for an event. We skipped breakfast altogether and went out to eat instead but feeling disappointed and a little pissed off.
ANother matter that was disappointing was upon knowing that though the sute had a kitchen, we had to shell out an extra P300/day so they can set up the stove and provide us with the cooking facilities. we were staying for 9 days and my boyfriend opted out saying that it would be too much and that we were not going to cook all the time anyway.
I think the redeeming factors of the hotel are it's spacious rooms. We liked the idea of having a separate living room, a balcony and a dining table and a bedroom. Also the free massage for 2 every two nights stay was a very nice perk. Although we suggest the hotel allow guests to set schedules early on since the slots are rather limited. We tried asking for a schedule the day before but they advised us to set the sked the following morning, only to be told when we went to front desk that all the slots were filled out. Sigh...
Overall though we liked the size of the room, we think the hotel needs some service in terms of service. Maybe housekeeping and the resto can coordinate and also ensure that rooms are completely furnished and maintained. Don't forget the comforters and towels. They may sound trivial but they spell a big difference esp with very seasoned and picky travellers. Also, advise guests regarding functions and the availability of the resto way ahead of time. Also trying to expand the breakfast buffet menu would be a great plus.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kling1229

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Northampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

The hotel was in a good location being next to several shooping malls, but the traffic noise from 4.30am till just gone mid-night was just so bad. We stayed on the 5 floor so we should of been high enough to reduce the sound level, but how wrong I was. In general the Hotel was very clean(cleaned everyday) and the food was ok. The pool is real small but to cool down it is fine. Staff were very friendly and helpful we stayed for two weeks, but got very little sleep I have to say. So if you are going to stay, go as high as you can in the hotel and ask for a room at the rear it may help.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rigid898

Travelers are raving about these Quezon City hotels

Manila,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

I stayed late in QC area and opted to stay in a hotel.
Accommodation per night supposedly covers welcome drinks and breakfast.

Unfortunately, the welcome drink was never served. In fact, I had to remind them about it when I was about to leave and instead of apologizing, they asked me if I want it to be served still. I said no, because it's no longer a welcome drink!

They did not have 24-hour room service so I had to go out and find a place to eat. I asked the guard who was sleeping at that time if there is any open food store or restaurant. He told me to go 3 blocks. I "obediently" walked 3 blocks only to find out that on the left side around 100 meters from the hotel, is a 24-hour fast food.

The breakfast is buffet but not very good selection though. There is no egg and if you want to order, one egg is around 80 pesos (around 2dollars).

Too pricey for an old style, outdated customer service.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Cotonou, Benin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

This hotel is a very nice location and near one of the largest malls in Manila. There are several Starbucks and restaurants within walking distance. There is a small pool on the roof, but small is the operative word. The breakfast is a little bizarre; more like a dinner with some weird meats and pastas. The rooms are clean but basic. The biggest drawback was that I could not get the internet to work and there was no hot water. I have not tried the other hotels in the area, so I am not sure what to expect from this area.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kolbinsky
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

I loved this place. It was very clean, the staff was great. The place itself was in a great location.It is near EDSA that means easy access to everything. There were a lot of banks around the area all within walking distance. I loved loved loved the 2 free 1 hour body massage they give you for every 2 days you stay and can't go wrong with 2 free breakfast buffets. The pool on the roof was cool, if only they changed the cement walls to thick clear durable plastic ones so that you can take in the view while swimming or just lounging on the chairs. They even offer to give you a manicure and pedicure and also a haircut in your room all for very reasonable prices I think the manicure was like 150 pesos if the conversion is 40 pesos = 1 dollar, then its less then 4 dollars, not bad. Hair cut is like 300 pesos = 8 dollars. I stayed in their 3 bedroom hotel there were 6 of us and we stayed there very comfortably.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — old furniture
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank loreefabulous
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

I have recently returned from my trip to the Philipines, and I miss the Fernandina already. I will return later this year and stay here again. The staff was fantastic, very friendly and helpful, from room service, cleaning staff, to doormen helping with taxis. The breakfast was a joy every morning with a wonderful view of the city. The rooms were very clean and neat, and the airconditioning was flawless. I really cant say enough about the staff, who made this stay very memorable.
The malls and shopping were super within walking distance, as were the bus system where we merely walked to, for a trip to Bataangas.
We are planning on having our wedding reception here on the top floor restaurant.
I will stay here when I return

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Room furniture
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Gary92
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

Fernandina Suites & Hotel was a welcome surprise for vacationers looking for a vacation experience other than the beach or sigh seeing. Seeing Fernandina’s location in the web, I was intrigued by its location and accessibility to major thoroughfares. It’s located at the Araneta Shopping Center in Quezon City where major shopping outlets, restaurants, grocery stores, etc, are in place including a farmer’s market.

The hotel rate is lower compared to condotel or service apartments in Makati area. The rate, location and the farmers market lured me to book a 2-bedroom suite for a family of five. In case I did not like what I see upon arrival, I booked other hotels for back up.

The hotel’s façade is ordinary and the services basic but you get what you pay for; besides the hotel passed my test of cleanliness and security. The two bedroom suite was around $105 a day (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living/dining room area, and a kitchen). Our suite was clean with A/Cs in the living room and the two bedrooms and hot running water 24/7. There was housekeeping services daily. Laundry services were also available at affordable rates and outgoing local calls (using landline) were free of charge. There was free complimentary breakfast for two daily. Transportation plus driver were also available although we only required their services for out-of-town trips since the hotel was conveniently located and we walk most of the time. Again, the rates for car (but in our case a van) + drive are very competitive and much lower than Avis and/or other car rental agencies in Manila/Makati. We extended our stay for the duration of our vacation because of all these factors.

Cooking utensils and cutleries were for rent at Php300/daily (less that $8). The kitchen has a standard size refrigerator with plenty of cupboards and large kitchen sink. If one is health conscious and/or easily tires of restaurant foods, a farmers market with its wide selection of fresh seafood, fish, meat, veggies, fruits, etc, is open almost 24 hours and a walking distance from the hotel. If one is inclined, one can easily whip up a gourmet or authentic native dinner rather than relying solely to eating out although there were so many eateries and restaurant around to choose from. In fact, fresh gourmet foods were available at the farmers market and I was able to introduce my children to the wide varieties of fruits, vegetables, and seafood like shrimps, fish, crabs from tropical country like the Philippines. We also found gourmet cheeses, chocolates and coffee. We enjoyed walking around the area and tasting native foods. Since it was Christmas time, there were so many varieties to sample.

The public lightweight rail transit (LRT) is conveniently located at Gateway Mall. One could hop to Makati by using the LRT since its Ayala Avenue stop in Makati is at Glorietta Mall (near the Intercontinental Hotel).

If one is adventurous enough, a block away from the hotel is a huge bus terminal with bus services going to exotic places like Quezon, Batangas, Laguna, Cavite, Tagaytay City. The buses are all air-conditioned.

We go out everyday and although there was no safety deposit box in our suite, our valuables and passports which were store in our suitcase were left untouched.

I would recommend Fernandina Suites to people looking for a clean, safe, affordable and accessible place to stay. The staffs were helpful and friendly and the two drivers we had opportunity to meet, Bobby and Lino who sometimes acted as our tour guides, proved to be reliable and friendly complete with their witty and funny commentaries.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — traffic around the area
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family