“Cocooned from Manila Madness”

The Cocoon Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Quezon City
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is a really delightful hotel and lives up to its name as a place to get cocooned away from the madness of Manila - certainly one of the most chaotic cities in south-east Asia. It's set in a quiet side street, and has effective double glazing, so you don't suffer any traffic noise.

I was slightly annoyed to be asked to pay for the room in advance when we arrived, and to have to give a 1000 Peso deposit against our mini-bar bill. Why should one have to pay for a service before you have received it? I'm not asked to pay in advance or put down a deposit when I go to a restaurant or have my car serviced, so why should I have to in a hotel? It's a thoroughly annoying practice that many hotels (especially chain hotels) are adopting now, and does nothing to make you feel welcome.

That aside, the rest of our experience was very positive. We'd booked a two-bedroom suite, and it was everything we could have asked for - spacious, quiet, with two ensuite bathrooms and a shared sitting room. Bathrooms were well provided with cosmetics, the plumbing worked fine, and the water was hot. Everything very clean and the decor was a kind of attractive trad Philippino style with lots of wood everywhere, which made the place very cosy and welcoming. Oh yes - the aircon was super-efficient too! There was a TV in the bedrooms and the sitting room with a good selection of channels, together with a DVD player.

OK there were a few little niggles - but then this is the Philippines, not western Europe or America. When I tried to plug a standard lamp in to a socket in the wall the plug exploded in my hand and fell off the wire. Three other bulbs weren't working either. Fortunately I wasn't injured, but I might have been. They did send a man up PQD it must be said to fix everything and offer me first aid, but the latter wasn't necessary!

The internet connection is incredibly slow, but at least you didn't have to pay extra for it. And the fridge was almost totally ineffective at cooling anything (you do get some beers and juices, which cost extra, but if you want spirits or wine, buy it at the airport),

There are two restaurants / bars at the Cocoon plus a small outdoor swimming pool and a very small gym (two running machines my friend tells me!). Breakfast is served on the roof deck by the pool, and offers a selection of bread, fruit, cake, cereal. yoghurt, as well as Philippino and western dishes off the menu, which were cooked and served very efficiently. Pork is big in Manila (try the 'lechon' or barbequed pork which you'll find everywhere), so there's no lack of sausages or bacon. The restaurant on the ground floor is a bit like a cafe and rather lacking in atmosphere, though they do seem to mix some powerful and very affordable cocktails!

The staff are very pleasant and helpful and overall - despite the odd bit of bad maintenance - a very high standard of service is achieved.

The Cocoon hotel is in Quezon City, which is a little way out from the centre, but it's actually quite an appealing district with lots of good shops, bars, restaurants etc. It's a short taxi ride to either the MRT or LRT stations which will whisk you quickly and cheaply in air conditioned comfort to the centre of things and is a much better bet than taxis which spend ages enmeshed in Manila's impossible traffic.

The Cocoon is not the cheapest place to stay, but at 10,000 Pesos a night including breakfast a two bedroom suite is not at all bad value. Certainly very recommendable.

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th floor seem to be best
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nigel-Gordon-Walker

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I must say out of my visit to the Philippines, the Cocoon Boutique was my absolute favorite. From the very moment we got there it was amazing. I did have a few things, but they are more like suggestions to the staff more than negative issues. Being a new traveler I have many questions and insecurities. I must have called their desk 5-10 times a day, and they were always very delightful to talk too. I can not stress enough to make sure to book 3 days minimum stay. Our 2 days was just not enough.

Cons: (Listing first because there are very few!)
-I should have stayed more than 2 days! My fault not theirs! I loved it!

-I do wish they would have notified me that the days I picked were on a couple major holidays. All saints day weekend. I did not get to enjoy the amenities because of this. However, minus the amenities I loved every minute of it! However, traveling in taxi’s to the mall was super fast! The streets were so empty! The mall however was PACKED! We could not enjoy the hotel amenities, but that didn’t stop our stay.

Pros:

+Amazing STAFF! Matthew and the rest were amazing! I was constantly calling the concierge and they were always helping me promptly. When we wanted to visit the malls and other stores around they would get us a taxi, print us out maps, and help us make sure we could get to and from safely.

+Checking in and out was fast and nice. We showed up at 10 am expecting to wait for 2 hours, but we only sat for maybe 10-15 minutes. They let us check in early. Check out was very fast as well.

+Free foot massage. … kinda. Well we were told of our free foot spa and massage, but we waited till the next day. Unfortunately for us the next day it was closed due to the holidays. Since we also had to check out by noon the next day we could not enjoy that. The spa did not open till noon.

+Location. I felt safe to walk and tour the streets around this area. My fiancée and I ate at a few street vendors. The deep fried quail eggs… Oh yum! Overall I felt safe to walk the streets there. My heart goes out to the homeless and those in poverty, but as a foreigner I feel unsafe. I would get swarmed by them all asking for help. You just die inside not being to help them all.

+Food! Absolutely amazing! Order the ramen! Order the dinamitas(My favorite!) The prices I felt were also very affordable.

+Beautiful surroundings. While looking out our window was nothing spectacular, the pool at night with rooftop surroundings was absolutely amazing.

Other: The wifi was weak the first day. Through most of the second day the wifi was not working at all. They apparently had an issue, but did fix it. I am not putting this as a con, because honestly this is the perfect place to shut off the electronics except the camera! Trust me. Go social media black out here! You will not regret it.

Room Tip: Don't schedule your visit on National Holiday's. Check ahead of time for any holidays that w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Steve H
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Found this place on Trip Advisor as I was looking for a hotel for the 1 night in this area.

Although the ratings were pretty good, the hotel still exceeded my expectations. The front desk staff were absolutely fantastic and extremely accommodating. They could not have been more helpful.

Whilst there is only the one lift, the hotel is of a size where this was not an issue. We were able to sleep extremely well and avail ourselves of a lovely breakfast the next morning.

The room itself was big and clean and it was good seeing a "green" hotel show that with great design ideas put into practice, it's not hard to be environmentally friendly.

Would highly recommend this hotel to those looking for a caring, friendly and enjoyable hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place is for me has a great value for money because without spending much, we were able to enjoy a worry- free stay and a very enjoyable night. For a very affordable price our room was spacious compared to other places that we've been to. The staff was also very helpful especially the manager Mr. Brix Fernandez who really assisted us during our stay and made our experience unforgettable. Until now, i can still remember the laughter of my son as he enjoyed his bath in the tub while watching his favourite cartoons. I think aside from the speakers in the toilet, having a very comfy bed and pillows in our room really made our stay one of a kind. I want to also include that the complimentary buffet breakfast was also tasty. My son really had fun with the pancakes served to him by the chef. After our breakfast, I also tried the cocoon massage in their spa area and I must say that it is really worth trying. I am sure I'll definitely try that again on my next vacation. Truly, Cocoon Boutique Hotel is a place that i can certainly recommend to all my friends especially to all balikbayans who want to experience the true Filipino hospitality all over again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melai Y
Reviewed November 5, 2013

what a great experience with this hotel great nice friendly staff
nice bed and pillows we had a good time with cocoon hotel so if you're looking for a hotel in QC area i definitely recommend cocoon hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We checked in at the Cocoon Boutique Hotel last October 27, 2013 to attend the 50th Wedding Anniversary of my mom's friend. Since our house is in San Pedro, Laguna and the occasion's venue is in Quezon City, we decided to booked a hotel nearby. After several find and looking at reviews via internet, we finally chose this hotel. At first glance, the hotel's facade and exterior was not that impressive but once inside you will feel the warmth and coziness of it because of the politeness and pleasant disposition of most of the staff from check in to check out. The De Luxe room was quite big for the three of us with a very large bed plus an extra bed! The bathroom was clean with a bathtub. Overall the hotel room's amenities are ok with wifi, LED television, ref and telephone. What we liked and loved most is the complementary breakfast at the Deck beside the pool! It is a buffet (from soup, salad, assorted fruits, bread, jam, pastries, brewed coffee and two flavors of fresh fruit juice) plus a plated one which you could choose from the menu ... you shoud try the tinapa with kesong puti omelette! We were supposed to check out on October 28, 2013 but we finally found ourselves extending our stay for another day!;)

The price is a little bit costly but overall rating is Very Good! We would like to give due credit to our favorite staff at the Deck, Mr. Eraz Bohol, who had been very accommodating and a good conversant at that! Special mention also goes to the Front Desk guys - Lance (with every effort gave directions to the taxi driver from the hotel to the events venue), Matthew and the rest of them who by SOP took and gave us a copy of the taxi's plate number everytime we hale a taxi. We are thinking of booking again in this hotel, God willing!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank belloaidamiriam
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Cocoon Boutique Hotel is not your usual "big" hotel. It's rooms are not only gracious in terms of space, but they also compliment it with good beds and good interior design. As described by other reviewers - the hotel is a "green" hotel - they pride themselves for having inverter AC, they also catch rain water and use it for not potable water needs, majority of the materials used in the hotel are recycled from old houses that the owners has accumulated through out the years.

They also have a good sized ballroom which can be divided into two and could hold a maximum of 150 pax. Majority of the food are highly recommended specially the desserts.

The staff - are all seamlessly efficient, courteous, and eager to help out.

Definitely worth trying it you decide to stay in Manila - well its really in Quezon City - for a few days, the neighbourhood is also one of the busiest place specially on weekends due to its proximity to many entertainment and food establishments.

Room Tip: Try the desserts.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business