“A hidden gem”

The Cocoon Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Quezon City
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is one hotel i could truly recommend. Their rooms are spacious and the beds were so cozy, you could just stay in the entire day. The staff and everyone at the hotel were properly trained and very professional too. The rooms come with a complimentary foot massage that you could avail of at the Isis Spa on the 2nd floor.

Breakfast is served al fresco at the roofdeck pool area, which is a treat for guests so they can bask in the morning sunshine. My only complaint was the food, though. The breakfast was mediocre,at best.

Bottomline, this is one great hotel and you really should book a night or two for a "staycation".

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AshleyC45

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This boutique hotel deserves more attention than those popular, overrated, four or five star hotels in Makati, Ortigas, Mandaluyong, or Quezon City.

Their service is awesome. Some are interns/on-the-job trainees, mostly Hotel and Restaurant Management majors, which could explain the very minor lack of professionalism. But that's very acceptable. The owner, I heard, wants to provide these interns an opportunity to learn from them and even gives them compensation (unlike big hotels that require their interns to pay them).

It's very accessible to a lot of restaurants, entertainment places, and public transportation. The food offered by their in-house are mostly healthy and are very delicious.

Best part of this hotel is that it's a green (eco-friendly) hotel in the city. It uses and promotes organic products such as their shampoo, lotion and soap bars. The hotel also makes use of natural light and natural air ventilation to minimize their energy demands. At the top floor, their simple swimming pool is surrounded by their urban garden- they grow healthy vegetables themselves which they harvest for you. In fact, they'll gladly give you some if you ask for it. The whole building itself made from salvages woods. I can't list everything but you have to see it for yourself!

Highly recommended! :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank travelbeyondhorizons
Reviewed March 1, 2013

as a frequent traveller, i get to try all sorts of hotel, from those no star pension house to those claiming to be 6 stars which i dont see how hotels go beyond the standard 5 star definition. boutique hotel is no different. i've often wondered how hotels justify calling themselves boutique instead of those star ratings. i had to check in the internet for the definition of boutique. cocoon hotel fulfills the definition of boutique, and then some...

going beyond the call of "boutique" duty, first and foremost is their green concept. no hotel, no establishment, comes close. sure, they use a lot of recycled materials- paper, wood floors and doors from old structures, the use of led lightings, inverter aircons, and those heat exchangers. but the use of garbage segregation in the hotel room i've never seen in any hotel. i practice this where i live because our mayor implements garbage segregation as mandatory, but cocoon provides the guest the choice between biodegradeable and nonbio receptacles. a brilliant concept. if only the check in guests obliges...

check in is quick but i noticed it gets very busy during the peak check in check out times and the single elevator exacerbates this. hey, if you are staying 1-2 floors, take the stairs. its good for your health. the hotel put some furnitures in the landings of the staircase. yes, i noticed because i used the stairs. other hotels have a stairwell, and thats it. i didnt sit on the chair though so i cant say if its comfy.

breakfast is good. its not your typical buffet breakfast as its part a la carte part buffet. they suggested the bangus their bestseller. my family tried the bangus, tapa, longganiza. i disagee with their reco of the bangus. its good, mind you, but the tapa was great. not the typical beef jerky type but more beef tenderloin. soft, tender, adobo style. first time i ate breakfast with pechay and lettuce plants looking back at me. they have organic plants all over the roof deck where breakfast is held. i wonder how the lettuce plant felt while i was munching on the salad eating the lettuce's sister or brother.

the use of double sink i see only in 5 star and those so called 6 star hotels. so how many stars is a boutique hotel again? 3, maybe? bathrooms are roomy, rooms are roomy. memory foam mattress made my family sigh when their bodies tried the bed.

the corridors are tiled, not carpetted. some boutique hotels i've tried were carpetted, some tiled. expect tiled corridors to make noise noticeable. no, i disagree with comments that the hotel has poor soundproofing. did you try knocking on those doors? solid solid wood. those are not hollow doors. if corridor noise will bother you, request for rooms at the end of the corridor so that there are less people passing through outside your door. noise outside? yeah, it may be a problem so if you are a ligh sleeper and demanding, go stay in a 5 star hotel. haha. but seriously, if you are a light sleeper, tell front desk, the may have rooms not having a bar across.

just remember, this is a boutique, not a 5star hotel. but whatever is a boutique hotel, cocoon is pretty damn good.

parking is also inadequate if the hotel has high occupancy. then again, you are in quezon city and i think any guest can observe a lot of cars parked on the street. so why complain about cocoon's parking? maybe cocoon can offer free valet parking so that they can find you a parking slot, if not in their basement parking, on the street.

food choices outside are plenty, spa facilities are next door. spa was good and relaxing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank al22tecc
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here last year, with mixed feelings. My partner and I decided to give this hotel another go, and with crossed fingers booked a studio room initially for 2 nights - 3 days for our CNY getaway. First, Miss Annie the manager remembered we needed a parking space and reserved one for us. Then, we were allowed to checkin early, before 1pm. We were surprised by the warm welcome, they remembered us, with Miss Annie waiting for us at the reception. Checkin was quick and efficient. The studio room is nicely decorated, with king sized bed, sofa, toilet with twin sink and big tub.

We were given a complimentary spa for 2, which was a completely different experience from the last time we tried it. This time, we had a very relaxing massage.

Breakfast is typical, food ok, with limited selections. The breakfast staff are very attentive and friendly, i cant complain with the service.

Housekeeping staff are very efficient and responsive.

we liked our stay that we opted to extend for another night. We have a very different opinion of Cocoon now, and we will definitely be back.

Kudos to the friendly and efficient staff of this hotel, they really try their best to provide the outmost comfort to their guests.

Room Tip: studio rooms are much bigger than the deluxe, so worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tmgarcia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is going to be a very late review and I appologise to all the staff members who I have now forgotten their names. My wife and I stayed in this property in January 2012 an used it as a staging area for our wedding at the Gazebo Royale in late 2012. Our stay at the hotel, will be one of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences until the day I depart. The crew had very good english, which was a necessity for my friends from Australia. The buffet breakfast was a nice combination of western and filipino influences and their omelletes were delicious.
The rooms were of very high standard, something that you would pay hundreds of dollars in other so called 5 star hotels in Australia.
Sorry once again for the late review..

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry A
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Check-in and check-out are hassle free. Room's really nice and complete with kettle, hairdryer, bathrobes, other basic necessities. Service is okay but takes a while before the operator answers the call. Only major complaint is the noise. Poor sound proofing of the room. You can hear street noise from your window and people's conversation from outside your room. A light sleeper will have some difficulty. Did not try their food so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank femaleTurista
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would give this boutique hotel a rating of 6 if TripAdvisor would allow me. I love boutique hotels and I have stayed in a few of them during my travels in the Philippines and the rest of Southeast Asia this past months. What sets Cocoon Boutique Hotel from other boutique hotels I’ve been or even other hotels whether 3-star or 5-star is that Cocoon Boutique Hotel is a “green” hotel, in other words it is eco-friendly because of its amenities, design and practices. I am so intrigued why this 40-room hotel is ranked very high at TripAdvisor and based from what I experienced a few days ago it really convinced me that you don’t need to be a luxury hotel in able to beat the giants in their own game.

When we arrived it only took us less than 3 minutes for the smiling receptionists to do their check-in formalities. We were assisted in our Studio Room and it really what it looks like on their web site and a lifestyle magazine I read more than a month ago (It’s good to know that this hotel does not practice false advertisement). It is good to know that some of the hotel’s fixtures like walls and doors were constructed from salvaged materials so they are really taking the word “reuse and recycle” whole heartedly. I know that LED lighting is expensive so I am glad to know that they would not skimp on that just to be more eco-friendly than the usual hotel.

Quezon City is know that know in having luxury hotels so I think the location of Cocoon is more of an advantage rather than building it in Makati or near the airport. All of the furniture inside our room were top-notch as for me the memory bed and pillows were even better than Peninsula Manila and Sofitel to put it in perspective. For me. the second important element of a hotel room is the bathroom and as the rest of the hotel it has also first class fixtures like a deep soaking tub and his-and-hers sink with toiletries that are organic and made from recycled materials.

The hotel has a rooftop swimming pool and I can’t believe that even a swimming pool could be eco-friendly. The shower cubicles have those antique-looking doors so it looks classy and instead of ornamental plants they have a lettuce and herb garden by the pool so they guarantee that their customers would only get the freshest greens when they order salads. The hotel also has a spa which is open up to 1:00am and their services are very affordable if you compare it with other spas in the area that also has a heated massage bed. I and my companion tried their signature whole body massage and my therapist is excellent that is why she received a more than the usual tip I always give when I’m in a spa. As always, I got hungry after having a massage so I ordered room service past midnight and I would like to compliment the chef for preparing a very succulent braised pork with pineapple sauce and the fettuccini carbonara is just seasoned the way I prefer it to be.

Their rooftop is also the setting of their buffet breakfast and their hot dishes are prepared a la minute and it also has what I want like fresh garden salad, omelette station, several breads and pastries, fruits and juices. I ordered tapsilog and my companion tocilog and the servings are very generous. I ordered also muesli and it came with sliced mangoes. Unlike 5-star hotels where there could be several dozens of guests taking breakfast at the same time, our Cocoon breakfast experience was more intimate.

Just like the check-in procedure, check-out is a breeze. That ends our perfect staycation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple