“What happened?”

Ma Mon Luk
Ranked #358 of 2,060 Restaurants in Quezon City
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Big siopao. Big bow of noodles. But gone are the days of glory of this no. 1 noodle house. Our parents even grandparents used to eat in this noodle house. They probably still serve the same big siopao and mami but taste has depleted. Used to take home some goodies for my parents. They asked me where I bought it and told them Ma Mon Luk. They doubted me at first since the taste was too far from their liking and standard of Ma Mon Luk before. I showed them the receipt and they even got disappointed. They said they it wasn't as great tasting as before.

2  Thank Elektra_08

Reviewed April 24, 2012

OK this is not really a tourist attraction but for the locals (like me, I used to live just five streets away) it brings memories. Their siopao (white puffy bun with pork filling) and mami (chicken broth soup with chicken meat and egg noodles. For us residents Ma Mon Luk is a great place for memories after going to church at St. Therese we usually go here for lunch. Try it out. Also try their sweet and sour fish. Excellent! But for decades their toilets remain to be, below standards.

1  Thank Tribs_Tribdino
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I came to this place after reading good reviews about it and food blogs attesting that their mami (noodle soup) and siopao (stuffed bun) are the best in town. What convinced me to give it a try is that their food stood the test of time and it has been there since the 1920's. So i had high hopes of tasting their renowned delights. But when i first went to the place at Banawe in Quezon City I was surprised that there are many people who patronize Ma Mon Luk. I waited for five minutes before my order was taken and another 8 minutes before the food was served. i decided to have Mami and Siopao Asado. The broth is bland and when i seasoned the soup it tasted just ok. I find the noodles very thick and heavy. I just appreciated that the waiter offered an additional bowl of soup without even asking for it. The siopao tastes ok however the bun is dry.This is a no-frills restaurant and it's good to try at one time to have a gastronomic experience of a pre-war recipe.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Mmmm... Ma Mon Luk... If you guys are looking for authentic "Mami", then this is definitely the place to get your fill of the real stuff.

Their mami is "assembled" like the usual ones you see at simple old-school mami carts, where the noodles, meat, and veggies are in their bowls, waiting to be filled with hot broth. To be honest, and terribly straightforward... when I had my first bite of their chicken mami, I was all like, "Ew, lasang basahan!" ("Ew, tastes like a wet dirty rag!"). Hahahaha =) But seriously, it DID taste like a smelly "basahan" at first (not that I've already tasted "basahan", but I quite sure you can imagine what I mean). I wasn't really excited to have another bite, but I thought of giving it a second chance. I added a dash of salt, pepper, patis (fish sauce), and their other condiments... and... VOILA!!!... yummy Mami! So my tip to everyone planning to satisfy their Mami-cravings at Ma Mon Luk... be sure to season your soup/broth properly, or you're sure to get the same reaction as mine when I didn't.

My honey and I settled for their jumbo siopao and siomai as it was still merienda time... and decided to reserve the main dishes 'til our next visit. I found the Jumbo Siopao really cheap for Php 50.00 as it was quite huge and heavy. However, I like Aberdeen Court's jumbo tai pao better.

For those looking for a comfy airconditioned restaurant, this is the not the place for you. The siopao and mami are all steaming in the main dining area and you can see that the servers are all pretty sweaty themselves. We went here on a rainy evening and it was still quite hot and humid inside Ma Mon Luk.

Overall, given the taste and value for money... I would still recommend that you try out this place, especially if you're in the lookout for authentic mami noodles. Remember... season your noodle soup properly! :)

2  Thank xoxogrusha