“The most interesting dining experience I had in Manila”

Van Gogh is Bipolar
Ranked #34 of 1,850 Restaurants in Quezon City
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“The most interesting dining experience I had in Manila”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Bipolar artist/chef/owner Jetro opened this small concept restaurant in his apartment in Quezon City and I must say I've never before been to a place that so seamlessly weaves together food, art and wellness into a unique dining experience. I could talk in detail about the menu made with foods that help alleviate the symptoms of bipolar disorder, the unique tea service, the props and bric-a-brac used for decor, the black light bathroom, the honesty payment system, the absinthe in a test tube that accompanied dessert, etc. but I won't be able to do the place justice. Just go!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank globaladobo

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I don't even know where to start. This was one of those wonderful experiences that left me speechless in the end. My friends have been raving about this place for months, and I finally got to go. This is not your run of the mill restaurant. First, you must call ahead to make reservations because it's a popular spot, and seats run out quickly (0922-824-3051). Some days are not working days, and those are random, which is another good reason to call ahead and make reservations. The menu is shifting so that you never get the same thing any one time you visit. When you arrive, you leave your shoes and problems at the door. There are certain house rules written on a chalkboard, and it's a good idea to read those in order to get into the groove of the place because it is so unusual and unique.

The decor of this place is something out of this world, a mix between Alice in Wonderland and Labyrinth. As an artful, non-traditional individual, even I was amazed by the creativity of this place. I loved the lighting, the colors, the unusual objects, and the occasional erotic designs. All this creates an atmosphere of otherworldliness and relaxation.

You then proceed to a small serving window and announce yourself and your party; you then select your menu choice. Then, you move over to the left side of the window and serve yourself one of the many organic teas in cute teapots. Speaking of organic, everything served in this restaurant is organic and natural, and the owners grow many of the veggies and herbs in the adjacent garden. The owner, a brilliant chef, designs his own recipes based on his knowledge of international cuisine and a degree in chemistry. He combines flavors and certain types of foods to produce natural relaxants, so that the end result is a feeling of euphoria that lasts all night long.

Everything I ate and drank tasted absolutely lovely. As the evening progressed, I felt myself relax deeper and deeper so that by the time we were ready to go, I could hardly get up. I was so relaxed that I don't remember the last time I felt that way. We had a great time, and if I ever get a chance to go back to Manila, I'm definitely going back to Van Gogh is Bipolar. Kudos to the owner for such a brilliant set up!

• Visited May 2012