“Not by bread alone”

Uno Restaurant
Ranked #149 of 2,099 Restaurants in Quezon City
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The place is clean, plain wooden square tables, starchy white tablecloth, straight back chairs. I am quite amazed by the food...so simple yet very gourmet.
Today I had squash soup, salad with mushroom, blue cheese and bacon, and salted cod, olives and mushroom pasta. And the bread tops them all. They serve warm bread with butter or olive oil.
I ordered about 20 whole loaves of bread for Christmas. They can pre slice for you and put them in individual paper bags. They went gaga at my office since I gave each of my colleagues one loaf in a brown bag. Just put a red ribbon and voila! instant Christmas gift. The sourdough was the favorite....soft in the inside crusty on the outside with just a hint of sour. The multigrain panotta is another favorite specially for those pretending to go healthy.
The owner is the chef which according to my sister refuses to be interviewed. Well I am not interested in interviews or the history of this, or that. I just go for the food. So everytime I am in Quezon City, at the area of Timog and Scout streets, I go there. And now whenever my colleagues know I will be in the Quezon City area, of course they await the bread.
The place can become full by 1pm. So popular despite the fact that parking is still a hassle and credit cards are not accepted.

Date of visit: January 2013

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Met an associate over lunch at this restaurant, which he picked. Wasn't exactly thrilled (please refer to my previous post), but boy, was I in for a nice surprise.

Seated on the first floor this time, I noticed that the servers were very comfortable with the other guests, signs that they were regulars.

My friend and I picked the same soup and pasta, neither wanted to budge, hee hee.

Had the clam pasta and the mushroom cappuccino, both were absolutely great! The bread was still fabulous, and the dessert, finally! A place in Manila where real coconut cream pie is served, and take note, this is not the usual buko pie we are accustomed to.

Definitely, Uno deserves a lot of re-visits!

Date of visit: September 2012
1  Thank AnnaL181
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband's friend hosted a dinner here about two weekends ago. Our friend lived in the San Juan area, so for him to choose a QC restaurant means it must be really worth it. Besides, they've invited us to dinner to this restaurant twice before and this was the first time we were able to attend.

The bread was served before the meal was good, appetizers were ok as well. Sadly, the main courses served were really disappointing. My husband and I shared the chicken dish and the pasta in olive oil with mushrooms and tomato. They chicken was very dry, the pasta made no impact as well. My sister in law had the pork dish which oddly tasted like adobo.

The celebrant himself was disappointed, he said the food was usually good. We learned that they changed menus every three months.

They did have, however, a great chocolate cake for dessert. It was flourless I think, and not too sweet. I also ordered the in house chardonnay, which was surprisingly, good as well.

Please note that they do not accept credit cards (in this day and age?!?!), so if you're the one treating, don't forget your cash ;)

Date of visit: May 2012
1  Thank AnnaL181
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My mom and I frequent this place - both for their food and service. Staff treat you like family, and accept requests for less salt, less oil, etc. Their menu consists of favorite dishes (I've never eaten so many versions of wrasse dishes!), and some new ones, so it never gets tired. The only downside is limited parking so we've had to skip this resto many times. Which should be proof that they've got great food!

Date of visit: February 2012
2  Thank jphizon
Reviewed January 27, 2012

quaint place, good food and good-looking owner/chef :D. love their cheesecake and fallen cake!

Date of visit: November 2011