“I love their pandesal”

I love their pandesal

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I've never been a fan of coffee shops. Seriously. Go ask Jig if you don't believe me. When I hear the word coffee shop, all I could think of are soaring prices and too-sweet food. And maybe hilarious snippets of my terroriffic coffee shop meetings with Reaction's adviser. Hehe. ^,^

Anyway, there is one exception to my cafe-phobia and it goes by the name of Country Style Bakery, Deli & Cafe. Maybe because of the interiors? It doesn't scream "pseudo-coziness" like some shops I've seen. It is laid-back and homey but there's no mistaking that it is a cafe.

Country Style first opened in Toronto, Canada in 1963 and after four (4) decades, it has become one of the most successful franchise companies there. From the simple coffee and donut menu, it now offers deli sandwiches, soups, pasta, salads, beverages, specialty coffee and a mixture of cookies, muffins and other baked goodies.

When I visit their branch in Ali Mall - Cubao, I'd almost always order their spaghetti. It comes with free buttered toast and, if you'd order the combo, your choice of iced tea, green tea or coffee.

Hmm.. speaking of coffee, I am not a fanatic of the drink. Although I drink coffee, I know I could live without it. (Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of cafes.) Country Style coffee is one blend that I like. It is not very strong but it doesn't taste thin. It has the punch of caffeine that's strong enough to make me sigh with pleasure but weak enough that I don't palpitate or hyperventilate. (Yet another reason why I don't drink too much coffee) PLUS! They give a shot of flavored liquer for free. You could choose from Irish Creme, Hazel Nut, Raspberry, Amaretto, Vanilla ang Black Forest. My personal favorite would be Raspberry because it turns the coffee into an interseting reddish-brown hue. (Haha) And when you order coffee for dine-in, you could have your own fresh milk container and brown sugar. Since I'm a milk and sugar addict, I fell instantly in love with Country Style.

Yes, I am still the same Kuripot Azriel that you know. And I still believe that instant coffee is the best (and cheapest!) thing I could have at home. But when I'm into my soul-searching mode, I can enjoy sipping coffee while grubbing out with Country Style's sanwiches (their sunriser sandwiches are a must-try!)

Their crew is nice and efficient. Plus factor is that the staff can recognize regular customers (such as myself!). Haha. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling that people remember that I'm a regular.

Delicious food + great-tasting coffee + efficient staff and service + laid-back and subdued interiors = one satisfied coffee shop-phobic chick!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook