“Ripping off Foreigners is a Common Occurance-Do Not Use Your Credit Card”

Cherry Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #46 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Coming in after a long flight I stayed at the Cherry Blossoms Hotel. My wife and child would join me the next day. I paid for 3 nights in advance with my credit card.
The room did not have two beds and an additional bed would have to be added. The room number was 125. It was old, the flooring was coming up and the bed was hard. Free wifi was actually pay wifi that over several days could exceed the room rate.
I checked out 6:30 the next morning. Could not get a refund for the 2 unused days. The hotel put a hold on my credit card for $500 even though they got paid $138 for the 3 day reservation. Arguing with the staff did not good. My wife got angry and had them call the manager on the phone. Not getting any satisfaction, we went to the Ermita Police station wishing to file a complaint. Two officers accompanied us back to the hotel where the Manager suddenly appeared and in hotelese said he would refer it to the accounting dept. The police said they have the same type of complaint from the same hotel at least once a week and they would really like to catch them. I discovered looking at my card account that they charged me the full amount and as an additional measure took a $500 hold on my account. Our next step is a DTI complaint.
Do not stay at this hotel that charges 4 star prices for a 1 star property that will overcharge you if you pay by credit or debit card. Do not pay for more than one night in advance.
Other properties we have stayed at are the Sogo Malate, The Stone House and the Swagman and CityState Tower. All of those give refunds on the spot.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank ahomeboy2000
There are newer reviews for Cherry Blossoms Hotel

Reviewed June 17, 2009

I stayed in the hotel from May 10 to June 6, 2009. The hotel is just a stone throw away from Robinsons Mall. My room in the 4th floor is very spacious and clean. The staff are courteous and polite. The laundry and housekeeping are very efficient. The rate is so affordable and my stay is so comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We booked a 3 night accommodation for a 1 bedroom suite (the more expensive room). On our first night we arrived at 7pm and the next day we left at 11am. We couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Service was good but you couldn't get over the old graying sheets and towels and the beds were disgusting. It was covered in plastic and I saw a cockroach in the room.

The room was very average.

I would not recommend this place, we ended up staying at the Crowne Plaza Galleria for the remains of our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank traveloso
Reviewed May 8, 2009

The only reason why we stayed at this hotel is bcos of it close proximity to Robinson Mall. Here is my experience, I've called the hotel 1 week prior and requested that they pick us up at the airport, I specifically says Clark Airport becos i know they have 2 airports and Clerk is 1 hour away from Ermita. Instead, we waited for 30min and no one came. I call the hotel, and they say someone is already there waiting for us. Suspecting that they ve mistakenly go to another airport, we ve to get our own transportation from the airport. And then I call in to tell them that we will be coming in late, and to tell them to pls ready the 3 rooms that we've book, and the staff says only two room was specified. I told her, we booked 3 rooms and I called them to confirm 1 day before (how can they make this mistake?). Fortunately when we get there, they let us stay in the suite without additional charges. The next night we move to the standard room we previously booked. But this room have cockroaches (euwww!!!) running around when ur not aware. The hotel staff is not so accommodating (probably seeing that we re not westerner, and hence no tips pfftt!). I actually gave the bell boy tips, and he was like 'uh, whatever'. I will not recommend this place to anyone. If i know about tripadvisor earlier, I'd have stayed at other places. I will surely go to Philipines again, but not stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank V F
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Only good thing about this hotel is how close it is to Robinsons mall. Its literally right next door.

Rooms are pretty average. Shower leaks all over bathroom floor when you're having a shower. Beds are quite hard. And depending on which side of the hotel you're on very noise at night time. There was some sort of construction going on all night when we were there so staff promptly moved us the next day.

Front Office Staff have a very stuck up attitude. Don't seem very interested in helping you. And once you check out..thats it Goodbye... Bellboys are quite helpful but always asking for a tip...

Breakfast menu is a joke. Child sized breakfast meals are hardly a good start to the day!

Next time I think i'd rather stay further away from the mall and spend that bit extra to have a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank dkia
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Times were when this hotel's services were excellent. Now, the second and the third floor rooms are roach infested!!! The staff consists of the RUDEST MOST INSESITIVE service workers I have ever encountered the world around!!!! The hotel cabs are the MOST overpriced ever (ten times the charges of regular cabs which can easily be hailed just outside the hotel). The shower room/bathroom gets flooded every time one takes a shower; the TV set is so small it's not worth watching anything while relaxing; food like the hotel cabs are soooo overpriced you can have the same variety in the mall across the street for a couple of bucks!

Even its proximity to the Robinson Mall which was the number one reason I frequently checked in to this hotel is not worth any penny anymore!

If you want to have a more pleasant and enjoyable hotel stay in Manila, stay somewhere else! Seriously, I am a local, and I can not even tolerate the shabby attitude of the hotel workers and the filthiness of the hotel surroundings/yard. The staf think they are GODS and that hotel guests are PESTS like the roaches that reign in this small dingy hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank aenia3
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Unfriendly front of house staff set the tone for my stay.

The room was very basic, with poor shower pressure in the bathroom.

After a number of complaints and argument about whether there was anything wrong with the showerhead, a maintenance man then changed the showerhead which from then on worked satisfactorily.

Problem solved, but as always in the Philippines, it took a lot of pressure on them to do something about it.

The bed was a hard as a mother-in-law's face, and the pillows wereas lumpy as a bag of spuds (potatoes.)

The tariff included breakfast: I use the word loosely. A bunch of trained monkeys could have supplied better food.

In conclusion, no atmosphere, no ambience with its only saving grace being its proximity to the excellent facilities at Robinsons Place Mall, Ermita.

I would not stay here again even if you paid.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo