“A highly acclaimed presitigious university in the Philippines. The Harvard of the Philippines.”

University of Santo Tomas
Ranked #17 of 138 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is the oldest university in Asia, founded in 1611, and is one of the world’s largest Roman Catholic universities based on enrollment.
Illinois City, Illinois
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
Reviewed January 26, 2014

It's a big campus, has good professors and curriculum, safe environment. Catholic oriented school. I'll send my kids here.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Illinoisresident

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vacaville, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Santo Tomas during WWII.”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

As an American in Manila during WWII, we were put in prison camp here in UST by the Japanese for over 3 years. There were almost 4,000 prisoners during this period.People died of malnutrition, artillary fire, shelling and dysentery. The Japanese were the vilest of enemies. I return with ex-pows almost each year since 1995. Today it is still majestic, proud, and a great Academia Central.
Sascha J

Visited January 2013
10 Thank jean27434
Pasig, Philippines
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“One of a kind University”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

If you love history, University of Santo Tomas is a great place to visit.
I studied here for 4 wonderful years and I always feel elated every time I come back.
I owe a lot in this University or I was one of hundreds of their scholar.
Best place to visit here is during the Christmas season when the campus looks bright in the night. Also try to visit during Paskuhan, the traditional Christmas concert and be amazed with spectacular fireworks and jam with good bands.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank GeciDC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“My home in Manila...”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I studied here from years 2000 to 2010. This has been my home for 10 years... Aside from the classrooms, I spent most of my time at the library, Santisissimo Rosario Church (with centralized aircondition), at the park and inside the Main Building. The campus is huge, clean, smoke-free... Lots of trees, plants and nice architectural buildings. I think they spent millions for their flood control projects ...Unfortunately, it is really the flood waters from outside the campus which make the University into a large swimming pool everytime there's a typhoon or low pressure area in Manila... That fact notwithstanding, I will not forget my beautiful memories in this University. I miss you UST...

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Eileen R
Asia
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Wide Staircase”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This university was my 2nd Home for 6 years. Four years in BS Biology and 2 years for my masteral studies. UST is the oldest Catholic University, which is more than 400 years old. Things have changed since my college education : There is a big Central Library, a huge parking / shopping facility in front of the UST Pay Hospital . The old gymnasium and old soccer field are still there. The best attraction is the Main Building which houses the College of Science , Pharmacy and Medical Technology . Most of it is still in its original concrete , majestic , imposing stance. It has a museum on the mezzanine . The old , wide wooden staircase bifurcates at a landing , this was for the purpose of separating the female students from the male students when going up the stairs , during the 1950's , that was according to my parents , who both studied there too.

Visited November 2013