“nothing much to be seen”

University of Santo Tomas
Ranked #3 of 145 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is the oldest university in Asia, founded in 1611, and is one of the world’s largest Roman Catholic universities based on enrollment.
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Aside from being the oldest university in the Philippines and one of the oldest in Asia, there is really not much to be seen inside the university campus.

Though the idea of making this as a tourist destination is really great especially that UST is part of Philippine history.

I just hope that UST or its alumni or any other organizations will make efforts to make UST a fascinating place for tourists.

I know that UST is an ACADEMIC place, but the idea of TOURISM inside the campus is really not bad at all. It may even help in its promotion not only in the Philippines but in the entire world!

5  Thank hotelcritic88
in 10 reviews
"institution"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed May 22, 2012

The UST 9University of Santo Tomas) campus would not make it on any itinerary I prepared for Manila that lasted less than 10 days.
Unless you have personal ties to UST and want to see where a relative when to school, skip it. It is a OK campus in a OK part of town. (I am sure it is an excellent school... I am speaking as a visitor / tourist looking for a cultural or artistic experience.) Though 400+ years old, It it not in its original location and except for one or two artifacts moved from the old Intramuros campus, it is mainly recent and often marginal construction. The Museum is a two story small central gallery on the third floor of the old main building with a first level dominated by taxidermy, and the second level gallery with religious and school relics. The highlight of the Museum is gilded char designed for and sat in by John Paul II.

5  Thank inog
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Without a doubt, it's the oldest university in the Philippines and in Asia as well. Hope so, tourism inside the university premises will allow someday.

1  Thank MigsDeManille
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I never really thought of my alma mater, the University of Santo Tomas other than an educational institution especially as an attraction. Apparently it is since new acquaintances would show much interest in it once they know I studied there.

My recent trip to the school to get a copy of an official school document allowed me to see it in a totally different light. UST holds a very important place in the country's history which no one can erase. We can consider it as one of the molders of the most brilliant minds of the Philippines. A visit to UST not only provides a walk down memory lane for alumni but also for first time visitors who wish to feel a part of Philippine history.

2  Thank Maria Teresa M
See more reviews
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I spent my whole college life in UST so basically I know the ins and outs of the campus. My recent visit to my alma mater was last year because of the quadricentennial celebration. This university offers wide range of courses and produce prominent personalities. A good choice of school especially in the field of medical studies. After all these years, I will always say I'm proud to be a Thomasian!

3  Thank Ivy F