“Awesome New Years Eve”

AG New World Manila Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed January 4, 2013

After reading the reviews on this hotel and Manila in general was a bit cautious - however booked in due to the NYE rooftop party as we didn't want to be travelling around on the night and wanted to see the fireworks somewhere good. The location seemed pretty good and all we saw in the foyer were attentive staff. Was easy walk to Mall of Asia - unfortunately was TOO close to Robinsons Mall only a couple of blocks - and we needed to buy a new bag to accommodate all the cheap clothes we bought. The Buffett dinner was exceptional. The fireplace restaurant set menu for NYE was overpriced and my 'medium' steak was just shy of still being alive. The party on the roof was awesome. Staff were obliging and looked after us when arrived at 4.30am from Banaue. Further to previous reviewer Our do not disturb sign must have worked as we didn't get room attended to at all in 2.5 days (which suited us). I would certainly try to get as high as possible if you want to cut down on street noise. Finally I liked the (presence - not sure whether would be effective) of the security and how they record the details of the cab you get in - both our cabbies we got from the hotel were good and honest.

Room Tip: Try to get as high as possible
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for AG New World Manila Bay Hotel

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review while i am still staying here at the hyatt hotel. I stayed here for 4 nights now, i still have to endure another night. The first night was pleasant. It was my birthday, they sent over a complimentary cake. Patrick from the hyatt club was very helpful and prompt with my needs considering it was new year i didnt have any cash to tip him and they were busy but Soon the experience went sour. I noticed that the housekeeping staff kept knocking on the door asking if i needed anything, which i found nice at first but it gets pretty rude when they do that even if it is 5 in the morning, still asleep, and when i decided not to answer the door, the girl entered!! Without permission, Which startled me and my mom! I have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels and this does not happen at the makati shang or sofitel. After that incident, i noticed that They do that to all the other rooms too. They knock on the door about 5 times a day asking to check the mini bar and if you need anything. I had to put on the "do not disturb" sign and triple lock the door. I dont understand why they had to check the mini bar, yes i take stuff from there but i replace them with ones i bought from the grocery, just the basic, like coke or evian. I guess we'll see if tgey charge me when i check out. As of cleanliness, the room and lobby was pretty clean and modern but the hallway? There were big as* cockroaches at the hallway outside and trashbags just sitting there. The airconditioning is centralized so it automatically shuts on and off which is just annoying because it gets hot and the windows would not open. Room service is fast and reliable as well as the valet staff. The breakfast buffet spread was satisfactory but waiters are a bit scarce. The pastry shop however was excellent. The location, bad! I mean, i'm a local so i am used to how dirty manila actually is but i wish the hotel did something about the prostitutes just outside the lobby. I guess we'll see if they can still salvage what's left of my birthday vacation.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank jextar
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights from 26/12/2012 using the points from Hyatt Gold Passport. Paid nothing except some small tips to the concierge staff. Though it was a free stay, the staff treated us same as the paying customer. All staff were polite and attentive especially the concierge staff. Check in and check out were smooth.

Location, absolutely great. Near to Robinson place, the LRT and lot of food outlets nearby. The room comes with a dvd player and we bought some cheap dvd's from the lady vendor just outside the hotel. Near to the Roxas Boulevard and in walking distance to Rizal Park and in fact in good weather you can walk to the south entrance of Intramuros.

Room ok. Nothing to complaint as it was comp.nights. The glass between room and bathroom was to display some naughty acts when someone taking shower. Overall, it was a wonderful experience staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors for views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank thecuriostraveller
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed several times at this hotel and it had been fantastic, this time not was different. First thing was the room was had vomit on the bed skirt, I was shocked when I saw this and also the room was not very clean.

I am not sure if it was the holiday week, however I was approached 3 times in 2 days by escorts in the lobby of hotel, one time with my pregnant fiancé close by. I was also approached by several in the taxi area as well. I was in complete shock and the staff didn't seem to care

While several of the employees remembered me and were very nice, happy and helpful, the front desk staff and the club desk staff were not. I was very surprised that the girl in the club who has been so helpful basically ignored us and when I tried to talk to her she just walked away.

While I am a loyal Hyatt follower, I doubt I will use my points again for a stay at this hotel and choose elsewhere to stay in the future.

Oh I forgot to mention that I requested early check in at the time of booking and the staff wanted to charge me another day and kept trying to sell me on an upgrade. I got very upset and they called the manager and he advised them of the same get him to pay. So much for loyalty....

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Spiceydig
Reviewed December 16, 2012

So..I stayed here again in December for 7 days, staff was pleasant but now I'm used to pleasantry so I wasn't bowled over by it this time. (Staff) Staff is more than willing to help you but do they help because it's their job or because they expect a tip? If it's for the tip, I'd carry stuff myself I guess. I didn't tip most of the staff like I did last time just to see how they'd react. I didn't get a sour attitude, at least from what I saw.
(Bedbugs?) It was the first time staying here that when I awoke in the middle of the night that I felt itchy and I felt 2 small bites on my neck..I said Oh hell no..I didn't have time to go to another hotel and I didn't want to deal with the holiday traffic either so I stayed. No, I didn't call the management either because I've read that a lot of luxury hotels can have a bedbug problem.
(Room cleanliness) It was fine, no complaints this time around.
(Hookers again) One of my chief complaints is that Hyatt does not seem to have a problem with obvious hookers waiting around inside (unless everyone wears crotch length skirts and shorts) so I was disgusted about that again. I guess that part is not going to change as long as the businessmen that come there need their sex fix. And there's the bar directly across the street their shameless "I'm a hooker" line up along the railings.
(Room Service) I ordered room service breakfast more than once; staff was very polite, food was warm and good. No complaints there.
(Smoking problem again) I would assume that the Hyatt chain is well aware of the dangers of secondhand smoke. So I am at a loss that no smoking in the hotel is not enforced. For someone like me who abhors cigarette and cigar smoke, I can smell it upon entering the hotel. They allow smokers at casino and bar area. If I found a better non smoking hotel, I would not go back to Hyatt.
(Seedy area) It is a seedy area but everywhere is seedy to me, homeless, thieves.. just keep your valuables in your front pockets and don't carry a satchel if not needed. Backpacks are ok, but keep in front pocket or socks near ankle. I am adventurous sometimes so I am not too afraid of being robbed as long as I am not stabbed and my passport is safe.
(Flirting from female Staff, Unprofessional) I saw some of the female staff flirting with the men with or without their wives were present so I thought that was a no-no also. I was correct in my observations when a friend who was with me also mentioned that the female staff were flirting with her spouse. I was told by the local filipinos that the women in Philippines are desperate to leave their country and are looking for US Citizenship or any other means possible.
Overall, I would stay here again but bring up their possible bedbug issue and always ask for a non smoking, high floor.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter..make sure they clean the rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank medjugorje2000
Richard_M_Simmons, General Manager at AG New World Manila Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Sir

I have noted with considerable interest and concern your recent review for Hyatt Hotel and Casino Manila. We very much regret your stay experience has not reached the highest level of expectations.

I do wish to learn further on the details of the incidents you have mentioned and ask if you have the opportunity, please contact me at : richard.simmons@hyatt.com .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Richard M. Simmons
Hyatt Hotel and Casino Manila

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I really doubt the propriety of tripadvisor reviews relating to this property after reading these reviews while I am staying at this property. It's like the hotel has a staff of low paid employees writing these reviews. You must be kidding.

I am in a spacious concierge floor room. The furniture is 40 years old. The carpet is worn beyond anything I have seen at a Hyatt. The bed is 1990's as is the TV. The view is non-existent. The price is 200+ American and that's all it should be. Don't really understand how the property maintains the flag.

The neighborhood is scarry. Sex clubs abound. I would not walk any of the streets near this hotel night or day. The casino is equally seedy. The location was a 45 minute taxi ride through the poorest of neighborhoods to get to the business area.

The breakfast buffet is a sad attempt at what should be an easy amenity. The food is left out for long periods of time and tastes it. The selection is basic only.

The one thing that was favorable during my stay was an attentive staff that wanted t help you at every turn. Check in was slow as other reviewers commented on.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if doing business in Manila
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank madeupusername
Richard_M_Simmons, General Manager at AG New World Manila Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Hotel and Casinio Manila on your recent visit.

I was however very alarmed to read through your stay critique that highlighted many areas of improvement for our team and hotel. We regret the lasting impression from your stay has been well below expectaions. We have identified refreshing our guestrooms is a priority and as such by the end of 2012 we will have nearly 50% of rooms laid with new carpet. There are more updates in 2013.

If it suitable, I would like to communicate with you directly on my email address : richard.simmons@hyatt.com.

I do hope we correspond soon.

Richard M. Simmons

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Earlier this year I stayed one night at the Hyatt. I had booked on Agoda. When I arrived I was checked in quickly and with a smile. As with all previous stays at Hyatts the room was large and comfortable. I had one facing the city, too bad I would have liked the bay but not a big deal. I ate at the Market Cafe and was so impressed with the food and the service. Not something I was thinking about when I booked it but it was absolutely amazing food and atmosphere. Later in the evening I went to the Casino and had the only disappointing part of my stay. I had hoped to play poker but they dont have poker at the Casino.

After a comfortable night sleep I relaxed in the morning, had a wonderful breakfast, and then checked out. My flight wasnt until very late that night so I left my luggage at the hotel, got a cab and spent the day walking around Intramuros. I love history and this was a great day.

At the end of the day I came back to the hotel, I still had a few hours before my flight and I was sweaty from walking around in the Manila heat and humidity all day. I asked the front desk if there was a way for me use a room for a short time to shower and was willing to pay. They said that I could pay to use the spa to shower. When I got up there they checked that I had stayed the night before and I was able to shower and clean up to feel fresh for my long flight home at no cost as I had stayed the night before. A nice surprise. I had another great meal at the Market Cafe then left. I was so please that I had chosen the Hyatt to stay at. Only reason I didnt give them a 5 rating was they didnt have poker in the Casino and I know for most people this wouldnt matter so you can think of this as a 5 out of 5 rating.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo