“So good we stayed again”
Review of Sunny Bay Suites

Sunny Bay Suites
Ranked #80 of 108 Hotels in Manila
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“So good we stayed again”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Booked in advance from website,ythe welcome was very warm and inviting,all of the staff were fantastic and so very helpfull.
Booked originally for 2 nights only but returned for the last 3 nights of our stay,
The room was large, airy and welcoming,and the mix of guests was very diverce,
Complimentary breakfast was delivered to our room and nothing at all was too much trouble for any of the staff.
We had no worries about safety as 24hour friendly polite security was in operation and the ameineties around the area were great, a short walk to the shopping malls, eating places everywhere,and the view of Roxas Boulevard was stunning both at day and night.
I am returning again to manila in Nov 2011, and am positive this will be the hotel for me again,
Very reasonable rates coupled with fantastic service who could ask for more,first 2 nights on 17th floor other 3 nights on 10th floor.

Room Tip: ask the staff for the best they can offer, and they will oblige you no problem.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on and off for years.
It's located right on Roxas Blvd so it's easy for the cabbies to find it....or hard for the cabbies to pretend they can't find it....
The staff is fine. Security guards friendly, bellmen are good, front desk "so-so". One time I had a friend stay in my room. We rented a cot for one night. There was a separate charge for the extra pillow and blanket. He stayed one night and I had the cot removed the next day. I also mentioned this to the front desk. After the end of the 4 night stay, I was charged for having the cot in my room for 4 nights. I was also charged for the pillow and blanket. My argument fell on deaf ears and I was getting late for my flight so I did pay the extra charges. This turned me off the Boulevard so I made a point to avoid staying there the next 3 times I was in Manila.
However, I did go back in Oct 2010 due to price/convenience - it's walking distance to the Robinson Mall and Intermuros. For some reason, there was a terrible smell in the lobby. It smelled of something dead. It was worse in the elevator. Unbelievably bad. The staff said it's a dead rat from the restaurant next door but I think it was something that got into the elevator shaft and died. It's hard to hold your breath for 12 floors but I learned to do it. What I couldn't believe was this smell lasted for DAYS. After the first day the staff put a big fan behind the check-in so they and/or the guests could breathe.
The rooms are BIG - apartment size and include a kitchen. There ARE some cockroaches but if you don't leave food laying around, you won't be bothered. I like the convenience of a kitchen.
For quite some time, the hotel stopped breakfast service since they use to have it in the adjoining restaurant. The last time I stayed, the room included a hot breakfast so that was a bonus - better since it's delivered right to the room. The rooms are worn. The whole place needs a reno but it's unlikely that the owners are about to reinvest in it. I don't see much future in this place.
My brother recently stayed at the Manila Pearl and recommends it over the Boulevard. I'll check it out next time...August 2011.

Room Tip: Nice view on the South Facing Side
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank DraftedbytheMan
korea
Reviewed February 3, 2011

it seems good hotel with reasonabl rate but staff of this hotel is so bad manner.they treat guest like student while there are teacher in the elementary. I could not even complain about bad things to frontdesk because the frondesk angly and yale while security guard ask me to stop complain by appoaching with bad face. I checked out feb 4th 11am . I can not forget that guy frontdesk staff who hummilate me with bad attitude. If you approach by a guy staff there,better avoid him or else you would want stop traveling manila

• Stayed February 2011
4 Thank bongbong_9

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

on the road
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Due to the good reviews here, I booked 2 nights but left after the first night:
Except the location at Roxas Blvd and the view from the rooms - anything else is poor. Its an old building, you can smell the age and the cold smoke form the many Japanese chain smoking guests. Rooms are big but worne out. No facilities in the hotel - even not a place to have a coffee in the morning but to do it yourself. Pillows are rock hard and the inside is filthy. I would book it again, if I would be with a group of guys on a drinking spree and we need a place to chill out with the "ladies" from Ermita.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank nasoowas
Annapolis, Md.
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I use this hotel when travelling as a launch pad/splash down for the Philippines. It's close to the airport (15 minutes) and for less than $100, you can get a balcony and a view of Manila Bay. It's right on Roxas Blvd. near the American Embassy, so the road closes for parades and can get very busy during rush hour. Each room is clean, with older furniture, but nice overall. Each room has a kitchenette with a 5-ft fridge, complete with plates, glasses, pots, pans, etc. It's quite a good deal for the price... it's certainly not the Makati Shangri La, but you're only paying 3500 pesos.... Great security outside, friendly staff, ATM right next door, within walking distance of a casino and some seedy Filipino clubs. The view cant be beat at this price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank John i
Denmark
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We walked around Ermita and Malate in which districts we checked out several places before we decided to stay at this place. Our conclusion was that this was the best place at this price level. The best about this place were the view over Manila Bay and the spacious room. We'll give this place an average rating as the other comparable places were really poor and dirty. We booked a studio room which we were told were more spacious. In contrary to other reviews, we did not experience any problems with taxi drivers (taxi meters) ordered by the portiers at the hotel entrance. It was a great service offered by the hotel. We recommend the hotel compared to other hotels at the same price level

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DenmarkNielsen
Singapore
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Stayed in room 710 and 712. Infested with crocroaches! Hundreds of them from bathroom to beds and kitchen. Filthy bath room.
Front office staff is extremely unprofessional and unapologetic despite our complaints about the crocroaches. Nothing was done to rid the pests.
Not friendly and cold.
only advantage is the location which is near to Manila bay and Robinsons mall.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business