“Near Robinson Mall” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #76 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Singapore, Singapore
“Near Robinson Mall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel is just 5 mins walk to Robinson mall (Very large shopping mall that is not so crowded). There are two entrance at the hotel. There are two fast food joint near the back entrance and 7-Elven near front entrance of the hotel. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The suite room is very spacious but unable to tap onto the WIFI. But the WIFI reception is very good at the lobby at level 9.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LonelyTunes
pearlmanila, Manager at The Pearl Manila, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
August 7, 2014

Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Pearl Manila!!!

We thank you for giving time in sharing with us your experience in our hotel. Out staff will are happy to hear your good impression and more motivated to give excellent service.

Again, thank you very much staying with us and hoping to to serve you again in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

The lobby of this hotel is spectacular! However, once upstairs, you will realize quickly that it's hay day was around 1970.

This hotel is very adequate. The rooms are large, there is AC, and the beds are decent. Do not expect much else.

The wifi is horrible. The only time I connected was in the lobby.

The room, while spacious, smelled of mildew. The carpets and linens are old. There is running water, but wear shower shoes to bathe.

The restaurant seemed overwhelmed at all times. Nothing on the menu was available. The staff often had the same look as a deer in headlights.

The bar tried. They have live entertainment most nights. It's comparable to good karaoke at most. Beer is cheap though.

Summary- well seasoned, non-westerners will be fine here. Those seeking creature comforts of the west should look elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Imarriedafoodie
August 4, 2014

Dear Madam,

Greetings from the Pearl Manila!!!

We thank you for giving time in sharing with us your experience in our hotel. We have provided WIFI in all our guest rooms for we believe this now a common need. We hope that we can improve in our facilities to serve you better.

Rooms Division Manager

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

On Its Way Up To Former Glory...OVERALL: The Pearl Manila, is indeed on its way up to its past days of glory, as a respectable hotel in the heart of the city of Manila...I daily and weekly see many costly improvements being applied and installed, so give them breathing room...Please try to understand, the elevator is on its way up, not down, and I stand by my words......Yes, this hotel has seen better days, but so have I...The hotel is waking up from its hibernation of neglect and poor economy... Now with a new manager, with more qualifications, to mention, she is on the prowl for items to add to her list of improvements..ABOUT ME: I often stay here and for long periods of time, so I feel my comments are fair and honest...I have seen many improvements, and there are more to come...Improvements cost money, take time, and need to be approved, so please enjoy this time of growing pains, with 5 star hospitality, and low rates...PROS, LOCATION, MANILA: First off, Manila is a real city, meaning, in disrepair, pollution, crime, and more, but also, it is a very safe city, (NOW) for a city...Manila is safer than most American major cities....There are armed security, every 15 to 20 feet...The hotel is guarded at all doors, and guards will assist you and your luggage, out of your cab, without being asked, and free bell service rushing to your aid...Let them help you to the 9th floor for your check-in...Parking is below hotel and is free to guests...Manila, just as The Pearl Hotel, is on the upswing, waking up from decades of poor growth, spikes in crime, unlucky weather, corruption, and more; however, for a city, it is a place to learn to love...With over 13 million people, (2013) stacked on top of everyone, I still love it...Take the time to see the growth, which was double digits for the Philippines (2013)...SHOPPING: You have every type of store, at your finger tips, and within walking distance from the hotel...Robinson's Mall, must be one of the largest malls I have ever seen, other than SM in Cavite..Everyone is there, from kilos of food services, a major super market, clothing, appliances, and pharmacies, as well: 2 of them...There are also minor medical, dental, and optometrists, inside the mall as well...Doctors hospital, once of the premier hospitals and medical teaching centers, in the Philippines, and to the left, south I think, is general hospital...Also, in the mall, there is Western Union, 2 of them, to send yourself money... One on ground floor, right of the main entrance and on third flood, in center...I walk to the mall, each morning, not more than a quarter mile away...Also, quite easy to catch a cab around the side, to your right of the main door...There are 7-11's everywhere and across the street, a small market for those rainy days when you have a cold...SERVICE: Is often slow, in the Philippines, but relax, where do you need to go? So expect longer lines, slower service, at times, and remember, everything good about this town and hotel is the workers...They are doing their best..ROOMS are being painted, one by one, also NEW DRAPES, NEW SHOWER CURTAINS, CARPET SOON...Some rooms have new TV's, such as flat screens, all with reffers, and mine was freshly painted...Something is wrong? Well, tell the front desk and it will be fixed...Please understand, this hotel is from a different space and time, and now that the International community is bagging on their door, it is overwhelming to some people there...Give them a chance...They honestly are doing the best they can, even if it is not good enough, for your tastes...Very helpful...MAID SERVICE: Is wonderful, please tip...I tip around 20 php a day, to start, then up to 500 php a week...Your items are safe, although, rooms have in-room safe...I never worried about a single centavo or cell phone, missing, all is fine...What is wrong with the rooms are visitors who do not respect the establishment, usually smokers who stink up the room and burn the carpets with their cigarets...Please ask for smoking rooms, if you smoke, or non smoking rooms, if you don't...Do not mess up a nice room with your dirty drug addiction...Upholstery is being cleaned also..CONS: Often the elevators go off line, but it is due to long needed repairs and are on going...They have a topnotch manager now, and she is actively on the prowl for things to improve and knows her job...Trust me, what did not get done, or fixed, was not done, or fixed, because of no funding, not because of lack of interest...None of this is the laborers fault, so smile, tip and remember, you did not pay retail, and got a good deal on the rent...I complain enough, so please choose your complaints carefully...AIRCON is a bit noisy, but it is an in-room aircon, so deal with it...It is adjustable, by remote control, hanging on the wall, adjacent to the door...Raise the temperature and lower the fan speed, and yahoo, fresh air, and less noise...Again, please do not fault the workers...They are doing their best

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank King K
August 4, 2014

Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Pearl Manila!!!

We thank you for giving time in sharing with us your experience in our hotel and we appreciate very much in your kind words and hopes for us. We strive our best to maintain our strength which to give excellent service. We may be old but not aged as some has commented and by appreciating our service, our staff are motivated to excel more in our service.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I've stayed at the Pearl many times, my last stay was April 2014.
What I noticed?
No real changes to the rooms, they're still a bit outdated, but I don't have any moans about the cleanliness. The room service was always very prompt and the room was made and cleaned thoroughly every day.
The bathrooms like the rest of the room are in need of a re-vamp.
The poool's still the best feature of the hotel, really great place to entertain my young son for hours on end.
My disapointment was that there's no longer a breakfast buffet option! What happened 'Management'?
Guests don't want a breakfast on a plate! I didn't even go for the 'Plated Breakfast' option. The wording didn't really inspire me with confidence. So what's the other option? Mcdonald's down the end of the street? The buffet when I stayed there before was good, basic and the usual, bit of fruit, rice, eggs, corned beef, fried fish etc.. But I was happy with that! Oh and no way of getting a coffee first thing in the morning, poor show management!
Would I stay there again, 'Yes,' there's not many other places around Ermita with a pool in that price bracket and it's next to the LRT so good access to UST and areas.

Room Tip: Get a room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank AndrewKirs
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

The staff were lovely however the hotel was years and years old with no new upkeep. The lobby was on the 9th floor because they had made car parks to the 8th. Free internet was only avail in the lobbies and restaurant. The food was terrible and the waiter one morning couldn't work out where to put the knife and fork, that was before he told me there was only sausage and egg but they had run out of egg. Sausage was 2 x half a frankfurter deep fried rolling around the plate.

Then we went outside to skip over raw sewerage openings with no footpath on the side of the street. A business man we had drinks in told us not to walk the streets at night alone as this was a very unsafe area. Pick your areas in Manila carefully all as its not safe in many parts.

Room Tip: Go to another area
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kerrie M
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this wonderful hotel, yes it's showing signs of wear and tear, but I guarantee that you won't find more friendlier staff anywhere in Manila.
The rooms are a little dated, but they are exceptionally clean and comfortable with good air conditioning units.

I've stayed in many hotels, but very few have impressed me like this one. I have never met more helpful and friendly staff anywhere in the world, they are an absolute credit to the hotel.

Stayed April 2014
6 Thank ianlowe1970
pearlmanila, Manager at The Pearl Manila, responded to this review, July 8, 2015
Hi Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Pearl Manila Hotel.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff is committed in delivery excellent guest service, and I am happy you noticed. Guest are treated as members of our family and your comments will greatly motivate our staff to maintain it. Status of our hotel are noted for future improvements.

Looking to forward to serve you again, the Pearl Manila way...

Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is well located. That said, the carpets in the hallways should be removed as they are horribly stained. The room itself is clean and reasonably appointed. The one huge plus is a rooftop swimming pool with chaise lounges. Which is unusual in Manila Most have pool but no place to lounge about.
I would stay again but for the lack of wifi!! It's a small thing to install routers!!
At first the hotel wished to charge me 1800 pesos extra for a room with cable but backed down and thankfully gave it to me without extra charge.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business