“Great staff, awful hotel”
Review of The Pearl Manila

The Pearl Manila
Ranked #70 of 108 Hotels in Manila
Melbourne, Australia
“Great staff, awful hotel”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed a total of 15 nights over December and January period, checking in and out several times when we went out of town. The hotel is not very expensive, however I have paid less for a much better experience. Fantastic staff, friendly and helpful except for one receptionist that would not even look at you while she processed check in/out but she would happily chat away with a colleague about her personal issues.

First couple of nights, we had a junior suite. The toilet would not flush and I rang reception who said they were going to send someone. Forty five minutes later, a maintenance staff comes and lo and behold, the toilet flushes so he leaves and says it's working fine. The same thing happened later on that day and they sent an engineer this time who said that it wasn't the flush, it was the plumbing. I said that's fantastic, so it can be fixed then? He says he's an engineer, not a plumber so we had to wait for the plumber who was only available the next day. The engineer's advise was to space out our toilet use until the plumber was available. Hilarious.

Another "feature" in the bathroom was a tile that made a slushing noise every time it was stepped on, while it squeezed water all over the bathroom floor, leaving us with a little puddle at the end of a bathroom trip.

The next time we checked in, we were given another junior suite in the 12th floor. The whole floor stank of cigarettes as soon as the elevator doors opened. I began to thank the stars that our room did not have the cigarette smell, until I walked into the bedroom where it smelled even worse than the hallway. I rang reception and asked to be moved to a different room. Initially, I was told that there was no other junior suite available. I said that was fine, as long as they gave me a refund because my daughter was asthmatic and to stay overnight in a room that stank of smoke could be fatal. Guess what, they managed to find another room, which thankfully did not smell of smoke.

I asked to use the internet downstairs and I was told that it was P300 per hour and that printing was P20 per page. I said I was not going to be any more than 10 minutes, in which case it was free they said. So I ended up using the internet and printing a couple of pages and by the time I have finished printing, the price went up to P80 per page, and yes I did try to argue but nope, there was no point.

The elevator.. Oh my God. We used the stairs most of the time for the fear of getting stuck, and the fact that there was at least a 10-minute wait for a service. They had a sign that said they are in the process of fixing them but the whole time we were there, it did not get fixed. My friend's 16 year old daughter got stuck in one of them for about half an hour and she, along with the elevator operator woman, had to climb out between floors 11 and 10, a very dangerous move! The next day, I happen to be chatting to another elevator operator and when I told her about the incident, she said that management had said it was due to overload. Yes, two people, barely 50 kilograms each. Overload.

The hotel is about 10 minute walk from Robinsons Ermita. Pretty central in terms of transportation. Other than that and the friendly and helpful staff, I can not say anything positive about it. It's definitely not worth the rates they charge. There are a lot of other hotels that offer much better amenities with cheaper rates. It is not value for your money because I did not see the value part. The only reason we kept coming back was I prepaid my 15 nights just so I did not have to worry about it when I got there. By the end of our trip, we ended up checking in somewhere else and just forfeiting our last 2 nights fees. So not worth it.

Room Tip: Wear your running shoes. The elevators could be dangerous.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Mum o

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Well after booking and paying in advance the reception was cold this is not the Philippine way. After checking in we went for a swim the pool was average but nice with some palms and shrubs my wife felt uncomfortable about the man staring at her constantly we did not know he was just monitoring the towels like we were going to steal them and he took them as we left the pool area with dripping wet kids to get to our room. We were given wifi passwords at check in and assumed that we could get online in our room like their web site states free wifi but it fails to mention that is only at the front desk and lobby in room service is extra charge. Also upon check in expect to pay a deposit even if you prepaid and pre booked. So far the room is about half as big as the last hotel and no kitchenette and not even a coffee pot to heat water for more than double the price. We will not stay here again there are plenty of other hotels with great service and the wifi they advertise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank snoeflake68

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Pearl is a good choice when you are looking for a reasonable priced hotel in the heart of Manila. Staff seems to be well trained and all of them were friendly. Room service breakfast was disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dieter040243
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I bring all my Malaysian guest last March . Good Location and Nice staff. But the Marketing Director owing me money. Until now no pay me yet ! I already request the Management to help me but the Management never help me to take my Money.. Now all my guest i will bring in other hotel. I think we can be a long term Business Partner. But im wrong.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
pearlmanila, Manager at The Pearl Manila, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear madam,

We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. The management does not tolerate such action. Rest assured that we will be conducting an inquiry on your concern and apply corrective actions accordingly.

At any rate, we hope that this will give us opportunity to give excellent service again to your guest in the future. We appreciate for taking time in sharing your concerns.

Best Regards,

Claire Ortiz
Rooms Division Manager
Manila
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at Pearl Manila Hotel during our wedding preparations.

The staff (from the receptionist to the attendants and even the guards) are very accommodating. They were always there to assist us in our needs.

The rates are reasonable. We booked a 2-br suite for a price the same as 1-br in other hotels. The rates are also cheaper if you book via their website http://pearlmanila.com.ph/ or via agoda than walk-in.

In terms of location, it is very accessible to public transportation. There are taxis available just outside the hotel. It is also next to U.N. Ave. LRT 1 Train Station. There are convenient stores and fastfood restaurants nearby.

They have a pool at the 9th Floor. They provide the basic toiletries. Our A/C and H/C shower work. They don't have a bidet and bathtub in most rooms and the TVs are still CRT old type but cable is working. Breakfast is acceptable. This is the only breakfast buffet I had that didn't serve bacon.

We enjoyed our stay at The Pearl Manila Hotel. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: If you prefer LCD/LED/ Plasma TVs in the room, you will be disappointed with this hotel but other th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

We thank you for giving time in sharing with us your experience in our hotel. With your comment, our staff will be more motivated in doing our work and achieving our goal to give excellent service to our guest.

Your concern regarding the menu in our breakfast will be brought to the attention of our Food & Beverage Manager.

Again, thank you very much staying with us and hoping to to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,

Claire Ortiz
Rooms Division Manager
Goleta, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the best of the low cost hotels in Manila. The hotel is on the top floors of a high rise with excellent views. The staff is very good, as is the location. The rooftop pool and garden are a treat. The maintenance is not good and the carpet is disgusting, stained badly everywhere. The breakfast was included with the best rates, but no more. The price of very small success, as it seemed the occupancy was low.

Room Tip: All are pretty similar.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My expectations were at par with the price of the hotel. It isn't new, but it is decent. Located in the busy street of Taft, and near a lot of offices, establishments. Room is clean and decent, staff are friendly, food is acceptable. I requested for a King sized bed but they gave me a room with two beds put together side by side to make it appear it is king sized. Security may also be a problem since anyone can go inside the hotel through several entrances including thru the parking lot elevator. The aircon was a bit noisy since it's old already.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business