“Reasonable Value Hotel in Ermita”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of City Garden Suites

City Garden Suites
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Reasonable Value Hotel in Ermita”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I arrived here at just before 4pm and was disappointed to find that the room was not available. I was upgraded and given a complimemtary drink so at least they tried to make amends. The room was not very large - I think the upgrade just consisted of a slightly larger room that included an additional single bed. The room was a little bit tired but we got a good night's sleep there and were not aware of any noise issues unlike some of the other reviewers. OK for a city centre hotel but not great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank footix

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here with my parents, younger sister and two nieces for two nights before continuing our journey else where. The hotel is OK for a short stay and just for sleeping not much more. The location is not ideal if you want to walk around the area but the price is very good for a short stop over. We booked two rooms, one for 2 pax and one for 4 pax. Thankfully we were on the same floor (the 2nd floor) and it was very quiet but we stayed Tuesday and Wednesday night.
The breakfast was good, typical Filipino standard where you get meat and rice, but very little bread and no cheese or cereal.
If you are looking for affordable accommodation during a stop over I would recommend this place but not if you are planning on staying for long in Manila.

Room Tip: There is a fridge so you can buy food and store it in the fridge.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed for one night, November 25, and had a 6 am flight on November 26. Therefore, we wanted to get some sleep and be up early the next day. The hotel is standard and would be fine for a night or two...however, they have a disco/lounge on the first floor that blasts music live until 1am. At 8p the music started and did not stop until after 1a. I'm talking, we could hear the bass, instruments, and singing below our room. We called the front desk multiple times complaining and asked to change rooms. Apparently the hotel was sold out, so there weren't any room changes available. If you want a decent night's sleep - DON"T STAY HERE. Would never book at this or any of the other associated properties again.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the second floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sa1lrscout
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Ok I know this hotel is fairly cheap when it comes to manila, but I regret the decision to stay here.
There are better hotels available for around $10-15 more
I arrived at 2:15pm tired from the airport, and was greeted by a rude and unconcerned receptionist. it seems the place is very busy, so the attitude reflects the same. She told me the room was not yet ready and to come back around one hour and try again. She was very blunt and didn't really care..
I arrived back at 3:40pm, and my room still wasn't ready, so I waited another 10 minutes, and eventually got my room changed. When i arrived in my room, the card reader didn't start the power, so waited another five mins. Ok when they finally got this working, I proceeded to take a shower, but just my luck, THE HOT WATER didn't work. Ok called housekeeping again, they came and started the hot water. My day was just getting worse and worse.
What took the cake was when I came back to my room after meeting a friend, and my room card / key would not start the room power again! So I sat in the dark for another ten mins while housekeeping came and gave me another new key.

The rooms are fine and clean, with fast internet and nice flat screen TV, and breakfast is OK, but because of the problems I experienced above, will never stay here again.
saw lots of hotels in the same street very close to the hotel, will try them next time..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Dinesh_81
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed in a super deluxe room which gives you a separate living room, the rooms are clean and comfortable enough. We found the location to be convenient as being able to walk to Robinson Mall is a plus. Be careful on the streets though as a bunch of children tried to pickpocket my husband's wallet one afternoon. The location is good as you can walk to Rizal Park and Intramuros. For the coffee fiends forget the breakfast buffet coffee and bring your own or go to Robinson Mall for a coffee.

Room Tip: Mabini street is noisy, ask for a room that does not overlook the street, plus ask for a second key...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yolc
Honolulu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel. Terrible location. Not safe to walk streets at night and no restaurants near by. Morning breakfast sparse. Room was fine but not up to price or the notion it was a suite. Manager promised to fix a problem at check in but never did despite asking her 4 additional times. Very annoying.

Room Tip: Robinson's mall is nearby for shopping and eating.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bigjim001
Tel-Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

We have stayed in a standard room during October.
Room was nice, clean and well maintained. TV is old but has dissent channel selection.
So for Standard room is actually was nice. Our room was located near the elevator, but we could not hear it. On the downside, for me, I can mention only air-conditioning which was really freezing even at low fan and 24deg.

WiFi is relatively fast to what I have seen in Philippines.
In the lobby with good signal strength I was able download at 0.17Mbps.
Breakfast is Filipino style with western touch like eggs, bacon, cereals, milk, juices.

Location is probably good, why probably? because at night we were suggested not to go out.
But there are embassies near by and other good hotels.
I think in general in Manila, if you are foreigner, it is better to use taxi from point to point and not walk the streets. Taxi drivers always locked the doors and sometimes asked not to open windows... If you can, leave Manila for the end for your trip and don't spend much time there.
Philippines have much more to offer outside metro Manila.

So overall price was good, service ok and location not so bad.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple