“An Awesome Piece of History”
Review of National Museum

National Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$63.84*
and up
Introduction to Philippine History, Art, and...
Ranked #6 of 145 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Owner description: This grand exhibit house features the country's most historic works of culture and national heritage, including the paintings of heralded Philippine artist Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

There simply is just not enough time, or space here, for me to truly get into my day spent at the National Museum. Let me just say, that from my first exposure to Juan Luna's Spoliarium, to the National Mural of Philippine History, to the complete Sperm Whale skeleton, this was one of the most awesome outings I've had, on any visit, to any country.

It strands several buildings, and sits across from the Golf Course of the Old Fort Bonafacio, and is in a very busy portion of the city. But our taxi was able to drive to the front door, and we spent the rest of the day, wandering. There were also street vendors available, in between buildings, and we enjoyed some street food.

All in all, I'd go again, and I'm sure, enjoy it nearly as much as I did the first time I saw it, and I highly recommend it to anyone new to the Philippines, or in Manila for the first time.

2  Thank ABAILZ
in 37 reviews
"hidalgo"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

My Indian friend and I learned alot from visiting this museum. They have everything here from philipine flora and fauna. Potteries made in philippines to philippine costumes. They also have prehistoric replicas of the houses being ised bu earlu filipinos. I enjoyed looking at the tools used ny early filipinos before spanish period.

1  Thank Rafael Antonio F
Reviewed July 13, 2014

There are interesting artworks which show a bit of history. Some gallery rooms just tend to have a bit of bad lighting. To be termed as the "national" museum, I guess I was just expecting a bit more. Highly recommended for art lovers but not for those who are into learning about history. I was very pleased to see the magnificence of the Spolarium though so that has been the redeeming factor.

3  Thank Ria-chan
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We're happy that we were able to visit the National Museum, its our first time to visit this vast museum... although its a bit spacious its still full of information and knowledge. We were amazed by the 'SPOLIARIUM' itself, very very big and beautiful, we saw the smaller version in his house in Ilocos. and the 'PARISIAN LIFE' by Juan Luna as well. This painting is worth million of dollars. there are also many exhibits to see and they were all amazing. I appreciate those companies who sponsored some of the exhibits. Interesting place to visit. Close to different attraction as well. And its Sunday that we went there so its free :) .

See more reviews
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Happy to have visited the National Museum. I am a Filipino but only this time i got a chance to visit our wonderful heritage.

The work of Antonio Luna is the highlight, the Spoliarium, I did not expect the actual size is much big. Amazing art piece.

Many works of great Filipino artists are displayed there. To name a few, Amorsolo, Manansala, Villanueva, Caedo, Abueva, Tampinco and many more. I like the wooden sculpture of Tampinco, the Nino Gritando.