“A very convenient and extra-clean hotel”

Palm Grove Hotel (formerly Palm Plaza Hotel)
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been going to Palm Plaza hotel for the last 12 years, and I travel to Manila and other tourist areas about 4 times year. It is easier travel to and from international airport with airport transfer for a reasonable charge. I love it is always clean, hotel personnel from front desk, room service, housekeeping and bell boys are friendly and efficient. It is located half a block from modern Robinson mall where you can get food of any cuisine- thai, middle east, Vietnamese, Singapore, Starbuck, French bread and coffee, movie houses. fast food.
It is 3 blocks from the American Embassy and 2 blocks away from Roxas Boulevard where one have a morning walk along famous Manila Bay. There is a free 30 minute internet each day of stay, but hope management will give free unlimited internet. Free internet is a major attraction for budget traveler.
I recommend this hotel for any traveler looking for a clean, convenient and courteous staff. And when you are traveling outside Manila and intend to go back to Manila, you can store your luggage for free while you are out of town.

AL Bascos/ Chicago, Illinois

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
globalfriend, Manager at Palm Grove Hotel (formerly Palm Plaza Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Mr. Al Bascos (ChicagoTraveller),

Greetings from Palm Plaza Hotel Manila (Philippines). Receiving your feedback through Tripadivsor truly makes our teams' hearts smile at the satisfaction and comfort which we were able to provide during your stay with us.

I look forward to the times ahead during your next stay here at the hotel and 'would try our very best in delivering th 5-star guest service which we are currently espousing for my whole team.
Agai, thanks for your kind words and do keep safe in your travels all over.

Respectfully yours,

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel is old but decent and is just a few minutes away from the US embassy (5 minutes), the international airport (15 to 30 minutes even on the weekdays), almost every Philippine bank (BPI, BDO, RCBC, Unionbank, Metrobank, etc), and the Robinson's mall where you can grab your necessities, have meals (if you don't like the hotel food) or watch a movie,get a haircut, get a massage, etc.

What I love about this place - location, 4 fluffy pillows instead of the usual 2, 4 hand towels, a foot towel, thick bath towels, a semi-full mini bar--some hotels only provide a fridge with nothing in it. The standard room's ref contains juices, water, chocolate drink, chocolates bars and dried mangoes.

They provide 24/7 free use of internet at the lobby , just in case your tablet won't suffice and you need a bigger screen or if you're keyboard-dependent. The business center is at the lobby, where the 2 pc's are, but I'm surprised to learn that they don't have a printer. That's right. I had to go to a cafe at Robinson's mall to get the e-ticket printed out.

The staff are very honest. My girlfriend left her bag -- which had her passport-- after having breakfast and they called it in a couple of times to make sure that we claim it. Although a couple of them don't see motivated at all to help. Once, I asked for a weighing scale for us to check the baggage weight and one of the staff brought out the baggage weighing scale. We were waiting for him to load up the bags but he just left. Not sure if they weren't trained to assist women with heavy bags, or that guy was just plain rude.

The daily rate comes with a plated breakfast. Not buffet, but they allow you to choose from their breakfast offerings. I recommend their tapa (rich-flavored, tender, marinated beef strips with fried rice, pickled papaya (atsara), two eggs. You can also have either fruit juice (it tasted like canned juice, though) or cofffee.

The room itself has enough space, cleanliness I'd say is 6 out of 10. They provide complimentary soap only. The bathroom is okay, although I saw some molds on the shower curtain.

Also, I'm not a fan of their eagerness to clean the room without the guests in it. No one rang in the morning while we were there or asked us if it's okay that they clean it while we're not around. Nothing was missing, they didn't touch the desks where the gadgets were, but I just don't like not knowing someone will be in the room without us knowing.

We were on the 5th floor and the noise from the bars outside can really be heard inside the room once you turn the TV off. But then again, it's a small price to pay if you want a good location at an affordable price.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms in the 7th floor and up are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
globalfriend, Manager at Palm Grove Hotel (formerly Palm Plaza Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear ViArboleda,

Greetings from Palm Plaza Hotel Manila,

Thank you for sharing your insights about your recent stay with us. As the hotel's new Resident Manager, it is my firm desire and commitment to listen to guests' experiences such as yours as my invaluable tool for making your stay as comfortable and safe as much as possible.

In fact, some of your inputs shall be coursed directly in my future programs to ensure your better satisfaction in the times ahead.

The printer, the housekeeping service, the bellman assistance, your best choice of room for your privacy are all taken into account.

Again, I thank your for your concerns and kind words about our hotel.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great hotel in Ermita. Good Staff.
Very well kept, clean, maintained.
Good prices available if you book early.
Caddy corner to Robinson's Mall, which is good for typical shopping and it has agreat selection of restaurants.

WiFi in room is only free for 1hr perday. You then need to goto lobby to use WiFi. This was very annoying for 2013.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is good because it is an easy walk up/down the staircase. The elevator on rare occasion i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank islandsoft_2010
globalfriend, Manager at Palm Grove Hotel (formerly Palm Plaza Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear Islandsoft_2010,

Greetings. It was really nice having you as our guest during your frequent stays in fun-filled Philippines. At Palm Plaza Hotel Manila, we take your comments seriously - so we may find more and more ways in improving our hotel for each guest's comfort, safety & security.

Rest assured that the entire management and staff of the hotel continuously work as your 'team' in making Palm Plaza Hotel a better part of your fun Philippine stay on your next Manila stay.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that its right across robinsons mall. You'll have no problem for shopping or for food. Or you could have room service and their meals are actually delicious. The rooms are clean but the shower was a bit dirty. No doubt with the AC because we were freezing! One downfall though. The Malate area floods easily when it rains. When we stayed there, it was raining for 30 minutes and Some parts of malate started to flood.( just 15 meters away from the hotel) if it rained for an hour, I'm sure it would reach the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tobiiodarps
globalfriend, Manager at Palm Grove Hotel (formerly Palm Plaza Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Tobiiodarps,

On behalf of my whole Palm Plaza Hotel Manila (family), we sincerely thank you for the warm feedback shared about your recent stay with us. It is heartwarming and shared experiences like these which make us even work harder to ensure that each guest's stay with us becomes a treasured experience to work on for better changes.
Rest assured that, through various Malate business groups/projects, we shall be addressing your concern on the area's 'rainy season' challenges to make your trips around the area a truly comfortable and safe one for you at all times.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you and your friends soon at your home here in Malate.

Respectfully Yours,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights & can't really complain.I arrived early & was able to get a room straight away but it was very small so they were able to give me a slightly bigger smoking room after 30 min. which I really appreciated as I was really tired & needed to sleep.So big thanks for this.Room clean & everything ok.Not like the pics on the internet with flat screen.Good location just across the road from Robinsons Mall & if you are a single male the Manila Bay Cafe is about 5-10 min walk away.Security & staff are very good.I would stay there again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Scottfarley

Dear Scottfarley,

It feels really great having served another satisfied and cherished guest like you during your recent stay with us. Feedbacks such as yours are most important tools which propel the whole team to make the hotel a better place each day. I and my team are currently working on more ways to make Palm Plaza Hotel a truly relaxing, enjoyable and safe place - as your choice during your stays in Manila.

Again, thank you so much and 'hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed for s night for deluxe double room. This cost around 2500 Php.
This is located in Pedro Gil just few steps away from Robinsons Place Ermita. Quite close to all the bars in Malate.

The room is clean, air conditioning system is functioning normally (cold enough to put you into snooze). The toilet doest have a tub, but good enough to do anything :)

Breakfast is quite cold when it reached our table. But still, I say it s still okay.

Room Tip: For some who wants a little more relaxing room ( a bit more quiet), ask for the last floor :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dann G
globalfriend, Manager at Palm Grove Hotel (formerly Palm Plaza Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Greetings Mr. Dann G,

As the new Resident Manager of Palm Plaza Hotel, I wish to thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Manila. As a regular guest, I am happy to note that your experience with us keeps on getting better from your last stay.

Rest assured that more changes are being planned for our hotel in ensuring your safety, security and utmost comfort during each stay with us.

Sincerely yours,

Palm Plaza Hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The room seemed clean but the shower curtain in the bathroom was very dirty. I had to wear my sandals each time I took a shower for fear that my feet might catch some disease caused by this dirty shower curtain. The room that we were given was very noisy, we had to turn the TV on all night just to get some sleep. We tried to ask for a quieter room, but to no avail.

Next time I will book the Grand Hyatt next door, a bit pricey, but at least you will get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Try one night first and insist on a quiet room. Otherwise, move to the Grand Hyatt next door.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timothy G

Hi Mr. Timothy G,

As the new Resident Manager of the Palm Plaza Hotel - Manila, I wish to sincerely thank you for having chosen our hotel as your choice for your stay in Manila.

I shall seriously take into acount all details of your feedbacks as a means for us to deliver the best possible service to you and all our valued clients.

I look forward to your future stay with us.

Sincerely yours,