“Disaster in Manila”

Ranked #24 of 108 Hotels in Manila
adelaide
“Disaster in Manila”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

To be totally honest we probably visited the Philippines at the wrong time of the year.It was Typhoon season and we met a beauty.Having said that the hotel we chose was awful.We booked a suite which looked lovely on the web site. Like so many we were conned. The living area was bare apart from an old sofa small rug and coffee table.The bedroom was better at least it was carpeted the TV was in here.The kitchenette was partly dismantled and there was plaster falling off the wall in the bedroom The old window box air conditioner was so noisy could not sleep with it running.the whole room/s stank of stale cigarette smoke. They would not move us as all the suite rooms apparently are smoking.The front of house staff were indifferent . We stayed here for 8 nights was not a happy experience.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bagus898

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
manila philippines
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I remember having Christmas party here with my photography group and we did so in two consecutive years.It was the choice because December is peak and it was difficult to book for hotels.One more thing,it's cheap so opted for it.Actually,it were my friends who booked for the room.If it were me,I wouldn't go for it.The place is ill maintained.Although the place got a little face lift the last time we were there,it still falls on my cleanliness criteria.This hotel has history in it,I think it is best if they look into good maintenance of the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pusangkalye
new york
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel has a small but elegant lobby and
you may think this is a nice hotel, however the grandeur ends at the lobby. The hotel did have
it’s heyday but the owners now seem dispassionate in keeping the hotel in good shape, this
hotel needs a complete upgrade and a bit more attention by the management. The first night
we arrived we had to call the front desk to change the bed linens as there was a blood stain on
our sheets. We booked a superior room and here is what we got, the beds are old
uncomfortable and low to the ground, the A/C is the old window rattler type, the drapes are
thin and in the morning the room is full of daylight no change of sleeping in, the bathroom is
small and the tiny water heater is in under the sink, you get 1 minute of extremely hot water
then only cool water after that, caution, the show floor in very slippy when wet no bath mat,
the TV must be 25 years old, the fridge is old and noisy, no safety deposit box (front desk
only) I also think the hotel is having electric problems as there was an extension cord outside
in the corridor running between two rooms. The staff are friendly. Dining in the hotel: We
had dinner one night ordered the “chef special chicken”, the chicken was reheated and may
have been cooked several days ago the food was bad. Apart for an egg cook breakfast is
really strange like pasta and meatballs, chicken stew, not really typical breakfast food.
The small swimming pool water was a milky color I told the front desk but nothing was done,
needless to say no one used the pool. The button numbers on the elevator are wearing off and you have to guess some of the floors which one to press. All and all I won’t be back to this
hotel.

Room Tip: Alway remeber to tip the housekeeping (maid) they get paid the least and provide most of your servic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank northknight3

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Tokyo
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place because the old villa gives it some atmosphere that it's difficult to find in hotels today. Even though it is not as nice as it looks on the website my first impression was quite positive. The location is good, the rates reasonable and the lobby and rooms quite good. On the other he service is very average and the cleaning of the rooms needs improvement. However what put me completely off is that in two separate occasions that I stayed there there were some events in the hotel and even the high floor rooms were very noisy. The first time after midnight the noise stopped so it was not too much of an issue but the second time my room on the sixth floor was extremely noisy from people singing, loud music, slamming of doors until after 6am when I checked out and the party was still going on. When I complained to the guy at the front desk he could not care less, and when the manager came she just gave me a sad smile with a lame apology. I had another reservation there for the following week and I asked them to cancel it. They did not seem to care for loosing a customer.

Another point that I thought it was very unprofessional is that when I arrived by meter taxi the first time and the driver clearly was trying to overcharge me I asked for the help of the doorman and the front door staff and even though they new the driver was asking three times more than the actual fare they were not giving me a direct answer but saying that maybe it is a little higher and asking me if we stopped somewhere else on the way from the airport. I gave to the driver half of what he was asking and still the next time I got a taxi to go the airport I paid less than that.

Some further research proved that there are much better places at the same price range both in downtown Manila and Makati.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Alxx
washongton d.c.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

It is not a big place. It was smaller, but with an elegant feel. It was comfortable, and the staff was friendly. If you want a smaller, quaint atmosphere, this would be a great place. The price is good, too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank foster7
Spring, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I love the ambience, located near a light rail with a lot of traffic congestion but noise level is muted and minimum in the rooms. I really like the breakfast...good array of choices and staff is very warm and friendly. The lobby and restaurant-too pink for my taste :-) There is a shuttle to and fro the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Zita16
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2012

it was impressive as we arrived... the lobby beautiful .. the staff solicitous ... we even got an "upgraded" room because it was my wifes birthday... room was spacious with a large living area with a small kitchenette.. sounds good? nothing to clean dishes, no towells, no wash clothes, bare bones... except the mini bar stuff is stacked in the fridge in a way that you can't help but touch it to move in your purchased food from outside.. complimentary bottled "water" for ONE DAY ONLY... i guess thats too much to ask for when the tap water is shaky in manila because of the lead pipes and other issues... bathroom .. just two towels .. no hand towels, no wash clothes..spill something on the dining table? you have to call housekeeping.. who will dispatch someone to clean it up .. who then lingers waiting for the tip... need to press your clothes? you have to call laundry service... no ironing board or iron.... another tip, another service ... tip tip tip tip tip .... cheap cheap and cheap.. shower nice, new .. tv put on top of dresser in bedroom .. would be better in the living room, but ooooops they dont have a table to place the tv in the living room... this is a bar bones .. hotel trying to act 4-5 star .. sorry ... it doesnt make the grade.. food in dining room is over-priced and was frankly crappy quality... and the waiters are too solicitous to foreigners.. why am i not surprised? locals dont tip like the foreigners ... oh the tv's .. u must use 2 remotes .. and their adverts dont show you the cheap 24 inch analogs tv's .. they show the tv's for the expensive suites... really this place has to have a reality check on spending a bit more on giving the guests the basics in their rooms.

Room Tip: get more than one opinion .. read between the lines on the reviews.... tell them you want a room on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business