Malate Pensionne
$116
$109
$78
$42
City Garden Suites(Manila)(Great Value!)
$59
$37
The Oasis Paco Park Hotel(Manila)(Great Value!)
$38
$25
  • Restaurant
Hotel H2O(Manila)
$79
$69
All reviewsfan roomprivate bathroomthree blocksthe security guardnice place to stayairport pickupfree wifino elevatorhome away from homechecking inclose to the airportreception arearobinsonsrestomall
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, the place is located in Malate where one can find prostitutes, beggars, kids asking for money, dirty roads, rats, transexuals and scammers.
The Malate pension is totally overpriced, I paid 1,000PHP(25$) for a room with shared bathroom, for 25$ one can get a very nice room all over around Southeast Asia, even in richer countries as Thailand or Malaysia.
Anyway is terrible value accomodation, nevertheless, the staff very nice and the bathroom clean and new.
I will not back.

• Stayed: July 2013
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hello! Please clarify for me, are you complaining about the neighborhood or my hotel because I'm not sure. My hotel I can fix. The neighborhood or area is another issue though we have been having meetings with fellow business owners & local government authorities brainstorming how we can make improvements. On my end, the sidewalk in front of our property is clean and free of obstacles, parked cars, vendors, beggars, people soliciting tourist and so on. Our security & maintenance are under strict orders to keep our frontage clear, clean & inviting. It is only fair to keep comments in perspective. As far as the cost of living between countries, to me it is purely a matter of economics. What one finds expensive, another may find inexpensive. To define a country based on a neighborhood is not accurate either. Where I live, one would not find what you were describing & I can say with confidence that you never went to Global City or Makati City or Rockwell or other areas outside Manila where what you describe does not exist. Fortunately for us, we have many returning guest who love our place and our staff that they even bring presents when they come back time and again. It's all in ones perspective.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed in Malate Pensionne for a month in June-July and found this affordable newly renovated family-run inn just right for my tight budget. I was picked up at the airport with their private car, and was greeted by my first name by the staff who already had my profile and anticipated my needs for a home office away from home. The General Manager/Owner, Jay, was very knowledgeable about the Philippines and connected me to some of his business contacts. i received free WIFI 24/7, free breakfast at the adjacent Coffee Bean. I was able to accomplish most of my business in the short month that I was in the Philippines because Malate Pensionne was not only a friendly, pleasant, clean and affordable place to stay but also I felt like it was my home office away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room in the main building - new flat screened TV, new bath.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Victoria V
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is truly appreciated and we look forward to next visit and stay in Manila and Malate Pensionne. More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have visited the Philippines on several occasions, and I have seen this place transform thru the years. this last trip I see many new upgrades and though it is unfinished i am excited to see it when everything is done in my next trip.

the place is a walk-away for a historic Catholic Church, Manila Bay, and it is centrally located for my needs anyway, and the price is affordable and fair.

the staff are friendly and helpful, and always makes you feel welcomed and at home.
service of a car or van readily available for rent
rooms and bathrooms are clean and have been refurbished and updated
an added plus is free wifi at their new and brightly lit lobby

despite the ongoing renovations, I would give this excellent rating and look forward to staying there again in my next trip, alone or with my family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at the Malate Pensionne for 4 nights in may very nice hotel the staff were very nice and helpful and so was was the security guard outside the hotel ...the coffee bar is very clean and the food was very nice there ...I'm going back in October :)
Ashley Hyde

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 16, 2013

For the most part I had a good stay at the Malate Pensionne; clean rooms but lacking in atmosphere. There was a lot of ongoing building work which I believe with make it less of a hostel and a more expensive hotel. Slightly questionable in terms of dorm room availablility... some rooms serve as dorms but at other times will be charged a much higher rate as a private room. If you have booked at least you can insisit that you pay the lower rate. Not good for backpackers to meet people, there are better options nearby,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. In our evaluation of other properties similar to Malate Pensionne, we now offer more value for the money to our guest than other area hotels and I am confident to say that we are also the safest. I invite you to come & see what we have to offer versus other similar properties in the area before you decide where to stay on your next visit. We continuously work harder at making Malate Pensionne truly "your Home Away From Home". More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.