“Stay here!!!”
Review of Malate Pensionne

Malate Pensionne
Ranked #26 of 75 Manila B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 19, 2013

After our last 2 experiences in Manila this place was a breath of fresh air.

If you are backpacking and are on a budet please stay here and not at the other places. This place is clean, has friendly staff, the room was bright and its a million times better than the place up the road! Put simply, please stay for your sake! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulFarrugia
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your review and vote of confidence. In our evaluation of other properties similar to Malate Pensionne, we now offer more value for the money to our guest than other area hotels and I am confident to say that we are also the safest. You will be delighted at the new amenities that come with your next stay. We continuously work harder at making Malate Pensionne truly "your Home Away From Home". More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Upon arrival to the pensionne we were greeted by a security guard with a big smile. What a great welcome to the Philippines! I had stayed there back in the early 1990's and am just as happy with this stay as I was back then! They are in the process of making renovations to the place and I must say that I love the changes! The new modern reception area with the receptionists wearing traditional Filipino clothing gives it that old world charm. I love how spacious and open the reception area is. The ladies working at the front desk also greeted we with that same big smile. The beautiful garden is no longer there but it has been replaced by a nice waterfall and to my understanding they are talking about an outside seating area.

Towards the back there is a sitting area with computers for guests to use. I noticed several guests on their iPad using Skype. There is also refreshments for sale as well as other items. This is the area where I noticed/heard the construction. It didn't bother me because I know that the next time I return there will be a beautiful guest lounge area. There was no construction materials laying around and the construction workers were nice and polite. The fact that people were on Skype told me that the noise was not much of a bother to them as well.

Our room was quaint. I particularly loved the high ceilings, it made the room appear more spacious. It was a light yellow color with white trim. The room had a closet, AC (aircon), ceiling fan, lockbox (you need to bring your own lock), a refrigerator, two tier table, vanity and chair, a queen size and twin size bed. I loved the sheets! It had a cute pattern that I am fond of. There was plenty of room for our large suitcases, we stayed a week, and all our belongings. The room was nice and clean and they cleaned it everyday while we were there. We also got fresh linnens everyday. I understand that the mattress are all new in the Pensionne.

The bathroom was nice and clean. There was plenty of room on the bathroom vanity for ALL my products! The shower was spacious! We had a minor problem with the toilet not flushing but that was fixed within minutes of me letting them know! They are really fast at making things right. Management followed up with me to make sure there was no other problems which there wasn't.

All the staff was nice an friendly. Everyone had a smile for us. We were even invited to join the staff Christmas party and join in their buffet dinner! That is more than I have ever experienced while staying at a hotel in the States! We were impressed with how respectful Filipinos are. We were called ma'am and sir during our stay. We noticed the management talking to gusts and we also got a chance to talk to them also. They call him sir Jay and the owner mommy Rosie. We enjoyed talking to them and hearing about the rich history of the place.

There is a coffee house on the premises "The Coffee Bean". Every morning we got a coupon for free coffee and tasty toast! I have to admit, being back in the States I kind of miss that tasty toast.

We felt welcome during our stay at Malate Pensionne. It is a nice and clean place with that old world charm. We can't wait until our next visit and will defenately return.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bathroom and aircon (AC)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Happy_2_Travel_12
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The energy when you enter the Pensionne is radiant and warm. A sense of comfort comes over you in moments. The staff is charming, kind and accommodating. The room was spacious with a bright, refreshing pallet of colors and very clean. The courtesy staff was excellent and kept the room tidy each and every day. Malate Pensionne is in the perfect location with many restaurants, markets and attractions nearby. There is a premium coffee house located on the premises and the establishment is only moments away from Manila Bay.

I would highly recommend Malate Pensionne to anyone in need of clean, comfortable lodging with a bright and vibrant staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike M
Reviewed December 17, 2012

It's a pension house and mostly for backpackers, but the service and staff were really nice, they were doing some refurbishment on some part of the place, but it was not a big deal , the time we went there was a sunday so no work for refurbishments. The room was nice and not congested, clean and tidy.outside the Pensionne you'll see establishments like convient store,bars, resto money changers ,bank/atms and expats that roam around the corner.

Room Tip: choose an ac room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. In our evaluation of other properties similar to Malate Pensionne, we now offer more value for the money to our guest than other area hotels and I am confident to say that we are also the safest. You will be delighted at the new amenities that we now offer when you return. We continuously work harder at making Malate Pensionne truly "your Home Away From Home". More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel was under renovation, so I narrowly dodged masons who were chipping at the walls and stepped over construction materials when entering and leaving the hotel. Plenty of noise and dust.
I had a deluxe room upstairs with a noisy window air conditioner. The dark wooden floors and furniture may appeal to some, but the furniture was dated and there were mosquitoes in the room. The hotel's well-done website describes the rooms and the hotel in a romantic way, but reality was different.
The reception staff were indifferent at best, and the dark lobby was stifling and not very inviting except as a place to pick up and drop off room keys. I had to go to the overpriced Coffee Bean next door for wi fi and morning coffee.
The location of the hotel is in a lively part of town, with clubs, restaurants, and a Robinson shopping center nearby. But there are also other lodging choices nearby at comparable or better prices, and so I crossed the street and changed hotels after one night instead of staying the three nights I had booked. The Malate Pensionne's construction noise and dust and the unfriendly reception staff there -- a stark contrast from the friendliness I had encountered elsewhere in the country -- made me move.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank blokototerminous
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Hello! I am the general manager of Malate Pensionne.and I am always receptive to the comments of our guests as that is the best mirror of oneself, an insight into areas of improvement. I gather that you were at our property during August and I wished that you had asked for me to express your concern. I always make it a point to touch base with our guests as I walk around. We opened our new lobby last October and have renovated many rooms too. On your next trip to Manila, I'd like to invite you to a night's free stay on me in one of our deluxe rooms. Simply print this out, bring it with you upon check in and mention it when you are making your reservation. We have many many loyal guests who always look forward to staying at Malate Pensionne when they come to Manila & I'd like the chance to make you feel like a family member on your next visit. Thank you & Happy Holidays. Jay Gutierrez - General Manager

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I entered the light, bright, cool reception and was greeted by the polite and charming staff. I asked for a quiet budget fan room and was shown to a clean, spacious room at the rear of the building overlooking a side street. With the window shut I could hear none of the horrendous din of Adriatico St and there was even a desk, chair and mirror. There was no building work occurring and I was not put under any pressure to use the hotel's taxi service which was simply listed on the information sheet. I enquired about the wi-fi access and was told that I could use it for free for 15 minutes; I actually used it for at least 30 minutes but it didn't concern the reception staff. Throughout my stay, all the staff - reception, security, porters etc. were all polite and helpful. I enjoyed blissful sleep during my 3 night stay. At 750P I think this represents very good value and a convenient location close to cafes, shops and easy access to sights. Apart from the rather cramped bathrooms, I have no complaints!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are blissfully quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Highpriest2000
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here twice for a night when I was travelling backwards and forwards from Manila. The rudeness of the staff was horrific - disinterested, unhelpful - even when taking your money!
The lobby is absolutely mosquito ridden and as others have mentioned 90 pesos for sporadic internet access is horrific.
I stayed in the dorm room and there were no other guests but me - the room itself was fine and I loved the old features of the place - lots of ornate wood - the bathrooms are small but fine.
The main problem is the rudeness of the staff and they also tried to rip me off with their car service. They constantly try to push this on you yet its 3x the price of flagging a metered car down outside. when you point this out they just shrug.
However despite the extortionate price knowing Manila well and how hard it is getting taxis in monsoons I booked one of their cars to take me to the airport -at a ridiculous 400 pesos. 5 minutes before I was due to leave they told me I would be sharing the cab with another couple - when I asked if this meant the cost would be halved they told me no and that the cost would still be 400 pesos - so they were essentially charging 800 pesos for what should have been a 150 peso trip!
I argued with them and was told that they didnt care whether i used their service or not so i walked straight outside where their helpful bellboy and securityguard ensured I got a guaranteed 150 peso price to the airport - they were great - but the reception staff should all be sacked.and start from scratch. I've never come across such bad service anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo