“Good choice for Manila” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 111 Hotels in Manila
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Good choice for Manila”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Decent budget rooms with a sense of history, reliable reservations system, friendly staff. The construction site next door is a pain.

Given there's a shortage of low budget accomodation in Manila, this is one of the best choices. Book well ahead!

Room Tip: There's no lift.
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Slovenia-Explorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cologne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

During my booking I arranged airport pickup. Usually that´s cheaper than flagging down a taxi at the airport. This time it wasn´t: They charged me 500 pesos for one way - a taxi would MAX cost 200 pesos, if not less.
The building itself is under construction at the moment, so you´ll be woken up by drill or saw sounds early morning. The Starbucks everybody was talking about isn´t there any more, as well as the promised balcony and common areas. There was exactly ZERO common areas, so it was kind of impossible to meet other travellers.
The hostel didn´t give any information about what´s going on at the place at the moment. Not on their website, not in the email they sent me. And, even better: It didn´t change the room rates at all. I had to pay the full price to get not even half of what they had promised.
Internet is expensive here, the staff isn´t friendly, the mattresses very old, and the bathrooms a little dirty, as well as the rooms.
When I´ll go back to Manila I´ll definitely stay somewhere else, and I´d avise everybody to do the same!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank phoebe1980tina

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I would avoid staying here is you are able to find somewhere different. The rooms are noisy as a result of being open to the interior of the building where people stay up watching tv until the early hours. There is no hot water and the rooms really aren't very comfortable. On a positive, the architecture is pretty impressive and we may have been a little unlucky.

Room Tip: Not anywhere near the centre or front of the building.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James W
Coburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I checked in on the 17th in the night time. We met a fellow traveler at the airport and took the room with three beds and shared shower. Not only, that the receptionist was totally unfriendly (only the nightshift actually) but the rooms and bathrooms were dirty and smelly.

This is usuually alright with me, but the worst was to come later that evening. When we went for a beer, two guys tried to pickpock my friend. This was already seen by the securety guard. Later, on the way back, the same guys blocked my way and started an argument. I was allone and recognicing, that someone took my allet, I immidiatly got them on their shirt and started an argument while screaming. Suprised by that, they threw the wallet on the road. I got it and they ran away. Itw as all empty.

I asked the Guest House staff to call the police. First they refused and talked a lot. After a long discussuin they brought me to a narrow side road to a white privte detective. Infront of his house, some phlippinos wrote down my case. That was it. I wasnt satisfied at all as i had a lot of witnesses and some people claimed they knew where they ive. I asked again for the police. 20 minutes later I asked if they called already, but they did not. So I took it in my own hands.
The staff asked me, how much of my money I would like to have back, if they could arrange it to happen!!! and I wouldnt call the police. What a question. ANd th rceptionist, still totally rude and unfriendly.

This Guest House is a nightmar beside being dirty. Do not go there, in cases such as robbery you wont have any support and the staff is after your money.

When we asked for a taxi, the staff of the Guest House asked the driver to give tip to them. The driver was mad about that, also. When I wrote them a day later an email, that I forgot m mobile phone, I received one fast reply that they will check and write me. I never got another answer.

4 Thank Drobstar
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We checked in...the smell of mouldy wood was terrible...the bathroom mouldy smell was even worse. Kids running & yelling in the hallways. Our room was under a staircase..people tramping up & down the sound was terrible. Within one hour of finding another room on trip advisor we checked out & were gone.
How could you stay a night in that room with the smell & noise.
And they wanted 90 php per hour for wifi access :(
On checkout they offered a different room...why didn't they offer us a good room to start with.

Room Tip: not for familes
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SamarTraveller
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
It took us this long to reply because we have been busy renovating our property. When you are back in Manila, drop by and ask for me. I would like to show you the improvements we have made and the Wifi is now free. I too wasn't happy with our WiFi back then. I am confident that you will find Malate Pensionne refreshing this time around.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

What a cool little place! Beautiful wood panelling and friendly staff make for an excellent budget choice. Water was hot and bathrooms were clean. This is not a frills and bells and whistles kind of place, but for a decent budget stay in Manila it's a good choice.

3 Thank Ng7181
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed there for one night. Things to know about this place :
1) The staff is extremely unhelpful and moody.
We arrived early morning, and could not check in before noon even though the room was there. They wanted us to pay half price for that early chek-in which we refused of course.
2) This place is extremely noisy. Not only the traffic (you're in the center of Manila), but also the AC system (sounds like a chopper is leaving your room when you put it on).
Getting the "right" room can be a challenge. You have to avoid the all-night karaoke bar that is located towards the right front of the hotel. Make sure you get a room on the left side at the back of the hotel, if you want to get some sleep.
Other than that, our room was ok.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple