“Ok, for one night”
Review of Malate Pensionne

Malate Pensionne
Ranked #32 of 76 Manila B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed there for one night. Things to know about this place :
1) The staff is extremely unhelpful and moody.
We arrived early morning, and could not check in before noon even though the room was there. They wanted us to pay half price for that early chek-in which we refused of course.
2) This place is extremely noisy. Not only the traffic (you're in the center of Manila), but also the AC system (sounds like a chopper is leaving your room when you put it on).
Getting the "right" room can be a challenge. You have to avoid the all-night karaoke bar that is located towards the right front of the hotel. Make sure you get a room on the left side at the back of the hotel, if you want to get some sleep.
Other than that, our room was ok.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alka G

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I am actually too drained by the whole experience of dealing with the Malate Pensionne's despicable group of staff to actually write a particularly insightful review. However, it would suffice to say that i would never wish a night spent in this place on anyone I have ever met.

Cockroaches, bed bugs, hookers, ridiculously loud air-con, aforementioned unfriendly, intimidating and downright aggressive staff......the list goes on.

AVOID!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Tom H
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised of my stay at the Melate Pensionne which was referred to me from a well traveled person. This building has plenty of hardwoods and character. For the price of the stay and the location(right within walking distance to most attractions), it will be and is very hard to beat. What I liked most was the friendliness of the entire staff. They will make you feel safe and well informed of your surroundings. My two drivers from the hotel(Henry and June) are very down to earth and very helpful as well as likable. Mila who runs the place is like a mother who's got your back for whatever you need. My only quirks is that some rooms may be a little noisy because of the hardwood floorings. Besides that, I enjoyed my stay and will not complain. I got a good stay for a bargain/budget price.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the staircases for more privacy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Norman L
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The rooms do look nice at first glance. As does the whole place. But the bed might be in my top 3 worst beds ever. Really hard and with the bed spirals poking in my back. I wished I just paid a little extra and had a good night sleep at another place. So won't be back probably...But I guess it is an OK place if you're on a budget and like meeting other people and don't care to much about comfort.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jasmijn A
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The worst that can happen during a trip. There were bedbugs in our room. Horrible. There is a build site beside.

After the discover of the bedbugs we had to throw a lot of things and laundry of everything

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This "trip" was geared to boost my airline "frequent-miler" status. My loyalty to one airline paid off when I purchased a "LAX-NRT-MNL-NRT-LAX" that guaranteed my miler-status. Malate Pensionne in Manila was the "travel point" location that would enhanced the most miles. (Malate Pensionne does not give out "award miles"). Being an "Angeleno" on a budget & to my "surprise", my 3 night stay @ Malate Pensionne was 'THE BEST". With proper planning with the reigning "Queen" of all the Manila "Pensionnes", Madam Mila Menicable, info@mpensionne.com, will assist & tailor your needs to your budget. (be aware of some "low beams"). The Pensionne took care of my airport pick-up, my impromptu "meeting" in Paranaque City, 3 hour drive to Penaranda, Nueva Ecija & etc.......

Room Tip: Check out the "executive rooms"....
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank mrleslie
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

We look forward to your return visit two weeks from now and thank you for making Malate Pensionne your home when in Manila. Wishing you a safe and pleasant trip.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

We also came here because of Lonely Planet Best Pick and i agree about ALL the best picks being disappointing. The Pensionne is located in a very lively road in Malate (of course), i quite liked all the nightclubs and bars, after quiet islands. The reception was efficient, i nearly concussed myself on the low beams designed for tiny Filipinos 100 years ago. It had a very olde worlde spanish colonial style building, i liked it ! Manila is usually a very hot sweaty city, but normally a fan room suits me fine, but the 3 bed dorm room got very hot. There is 1 chunky wooden bunk bed and 1 single bed in the standard dorm room with fan. The bathroom was down the corridor, but seemed to be a little battered and not at all inviting even on such a hot night.
There are aircon rooms, but we all woke up hot and sweaty, just wanted to move on. There were breakfasts provided by the Pensionne.
Around it there are plenty of bars, Korean, japanese, spanish, Filipino food, girly bars, great lively road

Room Tip: Best to get aircon
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family