“Run down, beat up, cheap”

Bayview Park Hotel Manila
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Bangkok
“Run down, beat up, cheap”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

OK, this is not a five star. It is not a four star. It is three - not sure what it is officially, but that is what I would give it. It was fine, at $35/day - but not at $55. Thirty five is what I paid, and that is a good price for Manila. The food is bad. The rooms are dinged up, but it was clean enough. The TV had cable and the remote worked. The water was hot. The service was fine, nice staff. The door locks worked, the location by the US embassy might suit your needs. A Starbucks is off the lobby - so skip their breakfast buffet. Eat dinner one night at the Harbor View, on a pier sticking into the bay - food is ok but the setting is unique. And if shopping is required, there is a big Robinsons Mall about five blocks away.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Harkish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Utah
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I chose this hotel because the photos looked good online, and then the price was in line with other places.

The Lobby looks nice, and that is the END of anything good to say about it! The door "guards" and all the front desk people were either outright Rude, or sometimes just extremely disinterested. Never friendly, which is So Different from most places in Philippines!

The elevator to the rooms is way back in a corner with vendors hawking trinkets, and when you step into the elevator, the smell starts to hit you... We stayed on one of the middle floors, up a little from the street.. as soon as the elevator doors opened, the musty, molding just BAD smell really hits you. The walls, the carpet, everything about the place is old and used. Going into the room, the furnishings were sparse, flimsy, and old... but with the aircon on for a few minutes, the smell from the halways at least diminished.

If every other hotel in Manila was full, and Bayview had the only rooms, I would just go to one of the great little bars back a block or two from Roxas, and simple drink & dance all night and forego a hotel completely!

It was just BAD..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank roaringbunny

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We have stayed several times in this hotel and found that it is still the best choice if you want to stay near the US Embassy. We also tried the Manila Hotel, which is supposed to be the best but we felt more comfortable at the Bayview. What we liked was the Pool on the roof and the breakfast buffet. (the Manila Hotel is still renovating its pool, so you have to stay in your room)

When we stayed in the Bayview in April the pool use was limited to 5 pm and around 4:35 pm the pool guy told us to leave. i showed him my watch and told him "It's not 5 o' clock yet" but he insisted "No, Sir its 5 o clock" This guy was not wearing a watch and there was no clock in the pool area. Well, we laughed about it, even knowing that nothing was wrong with my watch. If the Bayview decides at 4:35 pm that it's 5 pm then it is 5 pm, ...

The breakfast buffet was nice, I tried not to talk to my fiance and her daughter about the cockroaches that I saw in order not to spoil their appetite. This time they actually charged us extra for the little girl (4 years old). In November 2008 they did not do it.

The room was very nice and clean, better than the room we had in November last year. We also tried to stay at some cheap places but found that its not worth it, you might safe $ 20,- a night but then you would stay at really filthy places, no pool, no breakfast and maybe even a bathroom with an electric shower head that might electrocute you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank flyhi152
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 23, 2009

According to all of the reviewers before me, you could actually conclude that this is NOT A GOOD HOTEL. Some doors are broken (room 817, my friends' room) and there's also a leak from the air conditioning. Not only that! Room 435 HAS NO WINDOW AT ALL. Which make it so gloomy, dark, and doesn't look like a place to stay for human.
The others, some are leaking near the window every time it's raining outside.
The swimming pool is so small, too small for adults.
The food aren't nice. They serve a pork soup that smells terribly bad!
And once, when it's raining outside. And I was in my friend's room (817), the one which has window WITH A VIEW OF SOMEONE'S WALL (a.k.a. nothing to see), suddenly the TV just died and it took about 5 hours before they could fix it since the first time we call the housekeeping.
Hmm... BAD!!!!!!!
And worse, THERE'S NO INTERNET CONNECTION IN THE ROOMS! You have to pay for 150 pesos an hour and you could only have it at the lobby. Which is way too expensive cause 1 blocks away, there's an internet cafe with 40 pesos per hour rate and with faster connection!
Fortunately they have starbucks!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank dydiarifien
Chester
Reviewed August 13, 2009

That would be my last stay at the Bayview Park. I am regular long staying guest. As such I have some priveleges already which I say are fair enough and everyone of the staff almost know my name by heart. And I would say they treat me good. My problem is concerning the lady owner of the souvenier shop located at the lobby beside one of the elevators. During my trip last year, she convinced me to invest some money on her business but I said I am not interested. But she forced me to lend her money with the promise of returning it within 6 days with an interest. She did good at first then she borrowed again.. On the third time, she began to have reasons not to be able to pay, and even have not paid me until now and I heard she has been doing this to a lot of the Bayview park guests. I know it is my own lookout. but I just want to share this with all of you as a warning. Because the hotel management says, it is my personal dealings so they don't do nothing about it. So beware of staying at that hotel. You might be the next victim.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank ChesterJohn43
samar
Reviewed August 2, 2009

It was truly a disappointment for our family who chose this hotel because of it's proximity to the US Embassy - our main reason for the trip to Manila. Checking in took us a looooong time to finish, non-smoking room smelled of cigarettes, everything you request for has a price, etc, etc. There was no pool attendant as promised, and we were rudely informed that pool towels have to be paid for (whew!). Extra pax for breakfast had to be paid in cash, and even coffee ordered from the pool area was being charged cash. Who would be bringing in his wallet when going for a swim at the hotel's pool? It wasn't really value for our money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank tomtehalla
Mgl
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This hotel is absolutely terrible place I have ever been to. It's overpriced place, with rude and ingorant staff at front desk. The hotel management shall enroll its staff at communications skills training immedietly followed by other professional skills trainings. The online price of 65 they offer will turn out to be 82-83$ upon check out and they'd ask 20 more for online reservations and plus $ for anything else that most other hotels would offer as complimentary service. This hotel doesn't deserve your money earned by hard work. Will never go there if another chance to go to Philippines. This place absolutely ruins the image of the country, which is very unfortunate. Terrible.

• Stayed June 2009