“MANILA-CENTURY-PARK-HOTEL” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Singapore, Singapore
“MANILA-CENTURY-PARK-HOTEL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

GOOD:
· The room was clean and with hot shower, refrigerator, TV, WLAN.
· All staff was very polite and friendly.
· Dinner and breakfast buffet was very tasty and rich in choices.
NEUTRAL:
· The transport to the airport took about 30-40 minutes, depending on the heavy traffic.
BAD:
· Nothing bad at all.
CONCLUSIONS:
· A nice, good hotel. Coming back? MANILA: MAYBE; HOTEL: YES.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank coralkong502
elsiegaba, Front Office Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. We are delighted that your stay with us met your expectation. It is through this that we are able to evaluate how we can improve and serve our guests better. We are continually striving to give all our valued guests the best service and facilities possible. We look forward to welcoming you again at the Century Park Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Looking at the website, the Century Park looks like a good, deluxe hotel with easy access to the airport in Manila. The price also seems to reflect the allegedly good reputation of the hotel.

I am a business traveler and stay in nice hotels regularly. The purpose of a deluxe hotel is to get rest, comfort and convenience. Note of these happened at the Century Park. First, I was informed that the room did not have internet. What was this, the 1970s? When I got to my room, I found and old, stained carpet and a bed from the 70's, with a bedspread, not duvet. The room smelled and the bathroom was old and dirty. Definitely not as advertised.

I was tired so I decided to go to bed around 10:00 pm as I had a flight the next morning. This is when the fun began. The first good time was a nice Tagalog speaking party in the hallway outside my room. I called the front desk, which responded by doing nothing. I called again and was assured security was on the way. They were not, the classic "ignore the problem and it will go away strategy. In effect, it worked, as the staff went back to work and settled down. Then the real fun began about 11:00 pm. A large group of drunks were having a real fine time in the room next door, with the door open no less. Several calls to the front desk were ignored. Finally, in total disgust, I went the front desk and insisted on moving to another room. Initially I was refused but I insisted. Grudgingly, I was given a new room but there was much resistance since it as one grade up.

The upgrade didn't mean internet but at least there was sort of a quilt. The thermostat didn't work so the room was freezing. I asked for another blanket and was instead offered an extra bed. Instead of dealing with this, I chose to freeze. The room had a stained and worn carpet. The bathroom was dirty and the bottom part of the toilet was revoltingly dirty.

I woke up with a mild case of hypothermia and ate breakfast, which I had extracted from a reluctant front desk. I needed to print my plane ticket, so I went to their antiquated, worn, "business centre." In typical Century Park fashion, the internet on the two (yes, two) computers was down. I was in typical Century Park fashion that I was told to wait and be patient. I informed them I had paid for a service and expected it to be delivered. I then went to speak to the manager, who was full of apologies and excuses. I returned to the "business centre" and found that the server was down. They had not bothered to reset it. Only when I hollered blue murder did they bother.

The manager was full of apologies and said their upgraded rooms were better. They are, however, significantly more expensive than the competition's hotels. The real problem at the Century Park is the complete lack of customer service culture. The staff is more interested in ignoring guest's problems than dealing with them, so they can get back to the important work of texting their friends or gossiping with their co-workers.

I was offered an free night in their best room but for my next trip to Manila, I will stay in a hotel that I know will give me comfort and good service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
19 Thank Len P
elsiegaba, General Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. We are concerned about your experience and we are looking into these matters. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I am grateful I was able to talk with you personally and hear about it first hand before you left our hotel.
Through this we are able to evaluate how we can improve and serve our guests better. We are continually striving to give all our valued guests the best service and facilities possible. We hope you will give us a chance to experience our Deluxe room on your next stay in Manila. Thank you - Philippe Bartholomi - General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Las Pinas, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I will be honest; yes the Century Park Hotel is kind of old. Yes, there were complaints of cockroaches crawling on tables, but I just have to say that the staffs makes me believe that this hotel has the finest, most responsive, most proactive, and genuinely good staff (hotel banquet, rooms) that I have ever encountered ever in organizing events for our company. The experience begins when we coordinated with them for the event. The events staffs were very accommodating and well versed in getting the right suppliers for us. Even if we only have 5 days to arrange all suppliers, it went very well.

The day before the event, we were billeted in 2 rooms. Originally, we are booked in a smoking floor but upon seeing that I was wearing a facial mask (I am asthmatic), the front desk clerk changed our assigned rooms to non-smoking floors. Wow! Very proactive! Before entering the room, I was expecting an old, run down room. But I was surprised to see a nice, clean, and very spacious room. Although it’s old, it was clean and sophisticated. I had a great view of De La Salle and Roxas Boulevard. The bathroom looks like my entire condominium unit and is ready with the usual toiletries.

The banquet set-up was scheduled at 12:01 am since there was still a wedding the day before. But when I got down to the Grand Ballroom, I was so surprised to see the staffs are full blast in setting up our approved layout. By 1:00 am, everything is clean and well prepared. Our suppliers came in and the Banquet supervisor even provided us with free coffee! Again another proactive and heavily appreciated gesture from the hotel staff. Before leaving their post, they approached me and asked if there still things I wanted to change, I told them they are free to go. Indeed very professional.

On the day of the event, the hotel staff again wowed me with their fast and very intelligent service. The servers were very professional and accommodating. During the afternoon, we need to change the arrangements from buffet to set snacks to be taken to the respective tables. A truly monumental task but it was truly a breeze for them!

Did I tell you about the food? Just one word: superb!

Over-all, I was mesmerized by this hotel and hope that I will be given the chance to host another great event here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank crispypata
elsiegaba, Front Office Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Thank you so much for posting a review. We are delighted that your recent stay with us has exceeded your expectations. Your commendation of our Banquet and Front Office team will surely motivate them to be always at their best. We look forward to welcoming you again! Thank you.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I imagine that the Century Park Hotel was quite the hotel in the 1980s -- It's the sort of place where Imelda Marcos would have gone to show off her shoes. While the levels of service might have remained high since that time, the Century Park has not updated its rooms since that time.

The front desk staff is helpful, room service and housekeeping was prompt, and the restaurants provided tasty food. The rooms were comfortable and clean, but the lighting was weak, the HVAC was a little noisy, and the bathroom plumbing was old.

Overall, I would stay here again if the hotel were to be renovated. Until that time, however, there are other hotels in the same price category that I will likely visit first.

Room Tip: Request a room with wireless internet -- not all rooms have it.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrequentTravelerDC52
elsiegaba, Front Office Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We have renovated our deluxe rooms (14th to 17th floors) since last quarter of 2009. May I suggest that when you book with us directly or through online travel agency, again, please choose the deluxe rooms category. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you elsiegaba
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

As an elderly woman travelling on her own, I found everyone most helpful and anxious to make my stay pleasant.The room was most comfortable as was the bed and the shower excellent. There was excellent variety in the dinning room ,in fact the best buffet since the Marco Polo In Davao !.

Room Tip: De luxe room was most comfortable and relaxing before the long flights back to UK,
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank YorkshireGranny
elsiegaba, Front Office Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2012
Thank you so much for posting a review. We are delighted that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to being of service to you again. Thank you.
Bangalore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Century Hotel is typically kind of hotel which WAS great, a Century back. The infrastructure is old, internet very patchy, breakfast is very average, carpets smell of smoke and bathrooms are from 2 centuries back. Given Manila's many restaurants, this hotel has very few except 'Buoy' in front of it, which is good. The staff are friendly, evening lounge music by the Orchestra is good. Other than that, there is not much going for this hotel. If you are travelling with your parents on a very relaxed holiday, this hotel will do. For business people, you will feel frustrated.If you have booked through Agoda, you treated with a special disdain in this hotel for some reason.

Room Tip: You can find reviews very confusing as their rooms are of various types and am told some are very ne...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
18 Thank shivkumarn
elsiegaba, Front Office Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience with our facilities and services. It is though this that we are able evaluate how we can improve and serve our guests better. We are continually striving to give all our valued guests the best service and facilities possible. Thank you. Elsie Gaba Front Office Manager