“Stuck in a time warp!”
Review of The Manila Hotel

The Manila Hotel
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Manila Hotel in it's hey day must've been like the Raffles of Manila. Unfortunately, these days it is looking very tired and is in desperate need of a facelift. We booked a Verandah Suite here and it was like stepping back in time. The room was huge but very 70's - think beige carpets, old fashioned bedspreads and brown bathrooms. I know that they have updated their other rooms/ suites but we can only comment on our room.

We had dinner in the Champagne Room and the food was mediocre, at best. But if you can overlook the food, the dining room is fabulous. Very Gatsby inspired with the crystal palm trees and brocade seating. We had breakfast in the recently renovated Cafe Ilang Ilang and despite the impressive selection, it was only average in terms of quality.

On a more positive note, the staff were friendly and always had a smile. We stayed here specifically to explore the neighbouring Intramuros.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mister7Star

Reviewed August 19, 2013

One of my family's hobby is to hotel hopping. We usually go back to that hotel if we enjoyed our over all stay.
The truth is , this is our first time to stay in Manila Hotel even thou it is known to be the oldest hotel in Manila. We've stayed in a lot of hotels in Manila but Manila Hotel is not on my list. Maybe it's building is not too appealing and I've heard of so many ghost stories in that hotel so my children doesn't like to stay there, seriously.
So, one of my agent sold me a membership card from Manila Hotel which I could not say NO.
But to our surprise, we found the hotel room very lovely with a Victorian style mix with a little modern on it. They did well in renovating their room. But my only bad comment is that they're using of 2 single bed instead of 2 double bed which other hotels use.
This is the first hotel with waterproof LED TV inside the rest room. So entertaining while taking a bath, brushing teeth & etc.
The staff is all accommodating , you couldn't ask for more. I feel so relax talking to them. It's feels like home away from home.
Thou, I'm not quite impress with their Cafe Ilang Ilang Buffet unlike other 5 star hotels we've checked-in. Their presentation is not too appealing .
We really enjoyed the swimming pool even thou it's raining and then went to the Jacuzzi & steam bath , so relaxing . My kids and I enjoyed it a lot.
Will i book for an overnight stay again? Definitely , YES !!! And this time in a suit room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Snowblack68
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Arrived here for business a few days ago and have been treated wonderfully. My room is spacious always kept clean and extremely comfortable. One of the most important things for me as I travel a lot on business is that the room has an iron/Ironing board, so you can imagine my delight when my 'want for nothing' king-size bay-view room had exactly that.
The Wireless Internet connection is great too, can even stream movies :)

With breakfast, you really can't ask for more.. they must have around 30 chefs working on something or other, whether you want a cooked breakfast, western style or oriental, or you want fresh bread with a wide selection of sliced meats to even smoked salmon. Fresh pastries alway catch my eye as I walk in the door, just delicious.

I've arrived in the rainy season, however the out door pool still looks inviting. The spa and gym are more than well equipped and over value for money treatments.

Last but not least. The staff are amazing, constantly smiling and wishing me a good day, they even seem to recognize me more and more each day. Even though this is a large hotel, the staff make you feel at home.

I'll be back next year!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MarkHammami
Reviewed August 17, 2013

the service was excellent- all smiles and 'can do'. the breakfast buffet was likewise impeccable- i love the mix of international food. the lobby wa picture perfect. however, my bay view was more of the port rather than open water. i late found out that the room on the opposite side of the hallway..had the more interesting city and intramuros view. also, it needs a livelier bar for the evening..like a sports bar, but thats just me..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank miglovin
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I don't think there is anymore I can add, to what has already been written by others, however I will try and give it my best. This is undoubtedly one of the best hotels in Manila and possibly in the region, that I have stayed in. They are very high on customer service, every staff greets you. The bell boy does not enter the elevator with luggage , if you are in it. With the historical background ( ref Wikipedia) of this hotel, it no doubt boasts a place among the top hotels. The decor is just lovely, with a huge lobby area. Security is very tight at this hotel , which is great plus point. I reserved the deluxe room and the room was big, with all the amenities you could think of, including simple items like office supplies. Bathroom even has additional thoughtful amenities like a loofah. The bar at the lobby is great reasonably priced, the breakfast spread is more than sufficient and has everything you could think of. I even took a look at the junior suite, and it was just well contained, with a separate sitting area, with a large bathroom, and an additional guest comfort room. The location is a bit far off, for people with business in the makati area, considering the traffic. However, it is located near the Manila Ocean park ( 5 mins walk) which would be great for families . Taxis are easily available , if not, you could always walk over to the Ocean park, as there are lots of taxis dropping people off. I would certainly recommend this hotel for those considering staying in a 5 star.

Room Tip: Higher floors, will give you an excellent view of Rizal park.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank runway32
Reviewed August 7, 2013

easily the best value for money smorgestboard dining in Manila. Great range of fresh food without ever not having a dish available. Cuisines available from around the world. great service. easily accessible and due to its popularity bookings advised. catering for all group sizes.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Austravel2013
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hi Sir/Mdm,
I would like very much to let everyone knows how much I really love Manila Hotel!
This was the 2nd time I've stayed here n was pleasantly surprised that the doorman n your front desk staffs still remember me by name!
Ilang Ilang cafe still serve gd bfast n the variety was sufficient
I stayed in rm 1609 frm 30th July-2nd Aug
The king size bed is still comfortable n best around
I did contemplate to stay in hotel in makati area but decided not to n I believe I'd made the right choice
I shall return in 4 mths time n will definitely stay at Manila Hotel again.
However there is 1 thing I would like the management to look into n that is the ATM machine at your lobby is not under 'Cirus'
It would b nice if the hotel management could b kind enough to look into this small matter as it would b safer for guest to withdraw $ in the hotel lobby rather then somewhere else
Tku