“A Respite From the Squalor Of the City.”
Review of Pan Pacific Manila

Pan Pacific Manila
Ranked #2 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A Respite From the Squalor Of the City.”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Never did like Manila, this city just feels like it needs a good scrub and a major rebuilding and planning. But if one needs to be in this part of the city, Pan Pac is a comfortable choice.There are snazzier hotels like the Mandarin Oriental, Peninsular and Shangri La , which are all in modern Makati CBD. Check in took a while as the butler desk had a trouble assigning two non-smoking rooms on the same floor, so we ended up having two rooms on two different floors. While we waited, they served us complementary drinks at the bar (we chose some fruit juice). The check in staff took time to explain my room and the package which enttled us for an evening cocktail at their Pacific Lounge. And as we were leaving very early the next day, we couldn't have breakfast at the hotel, the lady offered us packed breakfast ready to be picked up at check out counter next morning. It was all professionally executed.

I ended up having the smoking room on the 9th floor, while the smell of tobacco was apparent , it wasn't bothersome. The room was ample in size with a king size bed and a nice bathroom with slding windows that open up to the bed , there's a little tv atop the bath tub , the marbled flooring looks a tad aged, though in a graceful way (this is no new hotel anyway). A 40" Flat panel TV adorned the cabinet wall A fax machine (a quaint equipment to be had these days but convenient nevertheless for those who need it) sits atop a granite counter desk and broadband internet was complementary. Shortly after checking in the room, a staff sent a nice little plate of sweets whcih I had with the coffee. Dinner wasn't needed as the canapes at the cocktail hours (lasted till 8.30pm) and free flow of drinks just filled us up. All in all a pleasant stay and a well run business class hotel and would return if I ever step foot in this city again but I hope a refurbishment is planned as some hardwares are showing its age. already and the bed wasn't as comfortable as I hoped it would be.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank RioJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed February 27, 2010

From the moment they greet you curbside, you are treated well at this conveniently located hotel. Top quality service and although we booked the cheapest room (prepaid), we were upgraded (at least that's what they told us).

Room was outstanding, with beautiful furnishings, huge bathroom with both shower and tub, great pillows and mattress.

Absolutely no complaints and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rahwayan
JGPManila, Assistant Operations Manager - Front Office at Pan Pacific Manila, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Dear Ma'am/ Sir,

Greetings from the Pan Pacific Manila!

Thank you for your comments and please be assured that this will be shared to the rest of our Team of Butlers. We truly value your comments as these help us compliment and improve on our services more.

Please do email me for your future bookings so I can personally arrange it for you and maybe design a package that is most suitable for you.

Should you require further assistance, please let me know.

Warmest wishes,

Joyce G. Pascual
Assistant Operations Manager - Front Office
Pan Pacific Manila
Email: jpascual@panpacific.com
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 19, 2010

The Pan Pacific Manila is in a great location just a short walk from Robinsons mall, lots of shops and restaurants as well as bars and nightlife. The hotel itself is quite clean and fairly modern, with a spacious lobby and elegant restaurant.

The food is quite good, a little pricey but the dinner was worth it, the breakfast was 800 peso for all you can eat... I had several helpings of their runny scrambled eggs and was satisfied with the value but my friends only wanted small portions so it was not worth the price for them.

The pool is average, not very spacious but clean. The small pool bar had the most friendly bartender you could desire and was the highlight of my stay. I introduced him to Malibu and Orange Juice and he shared his charm to me and my friends. The nearby exercise room was quite small but was empty so there was not a problem to gain access to the weights.

My room was great, very comfortable bed and nice sized bathub and separate shower and toilet. The TV had very old movies for 500 PHP each so I went a block down the street and purchased a new release for 100 PHP from a street vendor but had to watch it on my laptop because there was no DVD player in the room. I called for an Iron but had to wait 45 minutes and make 3 additional calls before they arrived. That said, when I called for a rollaway bed they were there in just minutes and did not charge me for the bed.

Quite honestly, my review would have probably taken a much different tone if I did not feel "raped" by the internet fees. Between my iPhone, my Laptop and my friends Laptop we were billed several separate charges of 400 PHP per day for internet. I would have rather them just charged me 1000 PHP more a night and included internet... after I talked to the manager to voice my disbelief at their archaic billing policy they only charged me for one internet charge per day (2000 PHP total) over the 5 days I was there. They say that they will be no longer charging for internet in March 2010 so maybe I will be one of their last victims.

In all honesty, if it were not for the internet fees I would have had a fantastic stay and would probably return to the Pan Pacific, however I ended up checking out and am now (as we speak) over at Shangri-La Makati, where the room rate is double but I have free WiFi and high speed internet access from my room (like EVERY other hotel not in the stone age).

At checkout, I asked that they deduct the entire internet charge from my bill and instead I would instead give them cash to pass out to their employees. Had they accepted this offer not only would I be recommending the hotel to my friends and have a warm and fuzzy feeling about my stay but their employees would also have an extra 2000 PHP in their pocket. I am not trying to tell them how to run their hotel, but they definitely missed out on an opportunity to win my repeat business and gain a fantastic review had they just seen through to understand my disdain for paying for internet fees.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank robertholf
Manila
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Great staff, good enough rooms, facilities are so-so. I like this place cause it's near Robinson's Place Ermita and of course, the bars in Malate.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank alphamel08
Orange County, CA
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I stayed here on my trip back to the Philippines w/ my two little bros. First of all, the neighborhood of Malate is definitely not like Makati. Most of the shopping and nicer restaurants are in Makati. But the hotel itself is definitely worth its 5-star status. The service was impeccable. They called me by last name, we had butler service, and the concierge dude was hooking us up with places to eat and even asked us if we wanted some girls.... haha! There was a Filipino restaurant next door that also had a show, which is worth checking out.
The breakfast buffet was the best I ever had.. and I've traveled alot. They had Chinese dim sum, homemade waffles, Japanese breakfast, and more.... I could eat at their breakfast buffet all day long... and you also had a good view of Manila from the top floor of the hotel.
We also chilled at the pool, and they had a pool attendant serving drinks. We had the pool all to ourselves which was really nice. The fitness center was next to the pool, but I didnt get a chance to check it out, but my brother did. But the highlight of our stay was the friendly hotel staff and their excellent service.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank enbamba
Singapore
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I stayed there for 5 days and found that all the services provided were really top class. Only the food there was a bit expensive but it was worth it.
Many shops nearby the Hotel and really liked the nitelife there. It was really a nice feeling. Easy Access to the Shopping Center Nearby the Hotel and many Restaurants nearby too.

I would surely like to stay at this Hotel again if I have a chance. Totally Fantastic Location.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank RavenSingapore
Hove, UK
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Recently stayed in the Pan Pacific Manila for a night at the end of a backpacking trip around the Philippines (for a bit of luxury to finish off the trip!). From the moment we entered the hotel we received impeccable service from everyone. Nothing was too much trouble - we even had a boxed breakfast delivered to our room at 5am due to our early flight. The pool area is pleasant for an afternoon of relaxation + the attached shopping centre has some good f+b outlets at very cheap prices. There is also a convenience store across the street. The rooms are well-appointed and spotlessly clean, although are looking a little tired in comparison with some of the newer 5* properties in town. Overall top value for money and a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple